Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the best FPS out there, apart from Doom 3?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Ardent wrote:
    I'm almost finished Doom 3 on my newly built PC, by far the best game I have ever played in terms of graphics, sound and the sheer terror it creates. For my next purchase, what other games are there that will not be a disappointment after the Doom experience? (I briefly played Far Cry before but it pales in comparison).

Half Life is still the best FPS on the PC, Metaroid priime is best on Console, I have a soft spot for Duke Nukem also althought it has aged badly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Now that you mention duke Nukem you should try Shadow Warrior and Blood. Excellent games. 'Look sticky bomb like you!'

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Someone already mentioned Alien vs predator 2 but I'm going to again; by far the most atmospheric, engaging and terrifying fps I've ever played ( I havent played ss2 yet though). Play as the colonial marine first for a dose of adrenalin pumping, pant wetting action (playing as the marine I actually "bugged out" a couple of times and started firing at enemies that werent there I was so scared :rolleyes:

Teh no one lives forever games are great, first one is HUGE the second is prettier, more advanced but far shorter (but the mimes more than make up for that- you'll understand after you play it ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

I bought Halo off Lex at the weekend and installed it last night. I have to say I was appalled by what I saw.

The graphics are rubbish. When you compare the environments and graphics of Doom III to the environments and graphics in Halo you realise where the 4+ years of development of Doom went. There's painstaking detail in every wall in Doom and you almost feel like you're actually there.

Halo on the PC looks and feels like a kid's game. I'm very puzzled - it looked much better on the X-box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

but the mimes more than make up for that- you'll understand after you play it

And don't forget that level during the tornado, really loved that one. And the little bikes :)
    Such a funny game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

Ardent wrote:
    I bought Halo off Lex at the weekend and installed it last night. I have to say I was appalled by what I saw.

The graphics are rubbish. When you compare the environments and graphics of Doom III to the environments and graphics in Halo you realise where the 4+ years of development of Doom went. There's painstaking detail in every wall in Doom and you almost feel like you're actually there.

Halo on the PC looks and feels like a kid's game. I'm very puzzled - it looked much better on the X-box.

lol Halo for the pc is renowned as a piece of muck... ardent... first buy call of duty it is simply brilliant. then buy aliens vs predator2 the story is a little muck but u get to play as marine/pred/alien and all 3 games tie up the story which is nice and i think the multiplayer was fantastic. marines with guns and motion trackers, cloaking preds and ceiling crawling aliens.... great mix.

stay away from system shock2 unless u can find it cheaply like... for free wouldbe better.... the game was great with an amazing atmosphere but its too old and clunky imo now.... more for nostalgia

nolf 1 was rubbish but nolf 2 is fantastic, graphics are lovely and there is some really funny moments in it even if the game itself feels a little stiff.

mafia is a good game with a great story but the game is incredibly sloooow... i couldnt be ared finishing it because of the pace..

operation flashpoint.. get it... expect rough edges but the game is superb..

painkiller is good for a laugh butis very very old school... u, gun and lots of baddies....

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

"And don't forget that level during the tornado, really loved that one. And the little bikes
    Such a funny game"

heh heh yeah that part where the head mime revealed his true colours was hilarious and the ensuing chase was very very funny. I think I watched that animation about five times, laughing my ass off the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

try tribes vengense its out on bete on fileplanet but im sure a bit of searching will get you a free download, very good game worth a look at
    cs.s is quite good gives cs a new leese of live
    or try planetside for something a little different than your average fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Wolfy wrote:
    lol Halo for the pc is renowned as a piece of muck... ardent... first buy call of duty it is simply brilliant. then buy aliens vs predator2 the story is a little muck but u get to play as marine/pred/alien and all 3 games tie up the story which is nice and i think the multiplayer was fantastic. marines with guns and motion trackers, cloaking preds and ceiling crawling aliens.... great mix.

stay away from system shock2 unless u can find it cheaply like... for free wouldbe better.... the game was great with an amazing atmosphere but its too old and clunky imo now.... more for nostalgia

nolf 1 was rubbish but nolf 2 is fantastic, graphics are lovely and there is some really funny moments in it even if the game itself feels a little stiff.

mafia is a good game with a great story but the game is incredibly sloooow... i couldnt be ared finishing it because of the pace..

operation flashpoint.. get it... expect rough edges but the game is superb..

painkiller is good for a laugh butis very very old school... u, gun and lots of baddies....

dont forget return to castle wolfenstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

rtcw at the time, immensly hyped and grahically nice, but in fairness it wasnt much of a game but still if it can be found cheaply then why not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

You lot worry too much about graohics. I couldnt give two craps if doom 3 looks better than half life or duke nukem or halo. they are all better than it! graphics mean nothing. it's all about gameplay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Ah but another thing important in a game nowadays is atmosphere, which Doom 3 dishes out in grotesque amounts! Also ya shouldn't really use Halo as an example as it's another beautiful looking game but when it gets down to it is just another FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Also ya shouldn't really use Halo as an example as it's another beautiful looking game but when it gets down to it is just another FPS.

And it's probably the worst clunky piece of crap I have ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I couldn't bring my self to finish the PC version of Halo, it was ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Exhumed deserves mention, old as hell but ridiculous pace for it's time, and has some great shock moments.....lovely old game, very hard to find though.

How did you manage to get this to work. I actually tracked down a retail copy, as I really loved the game on the Sega Saturn, however I just cannot get it running. It seems not to be able to recognise the difference between my DVD and CD drives. I did eventually get it going a few times, using a version I obtained from the Underdogs, however that was at a really dreadful resolution (320*200 as far as I can remember), with horrible mouse-control, but that crashed after about 10 seconds. I have Win XP, and have tried all the usual such as compatibiliy mode, etc., without luck. Any help would be much appreciated, as I would love to play this game again, particularly at something better than 640*480.

Advertisement