Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality places to get (Male) haircut in Dublin.

Options
  • 10-08-2004 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

So I went to a very pricey barber on saturday with the intention of getting a quality haircut. Not a scalping, just a quality cut. I got scalped. Despite my instructions at the start not to take too much off, I'm still left the place with far less hair than I intended. My girlfriend, who wanted me to go to a stylist/hairdresser place, was full of "I told you so" comments when we met later.

I have been to Peter Marks twice - my girlfriend literally had to drag me in. But I genuinely felt fairly embarrassed being the only guy in the place the first time, and one of only 2 guys the second time. That being said, they did a fairly good job on me on each occasion.

So do I swallow my macho pride and return to Peter Marks, or can anyone out there recommend a really good place where I won't be the only (hetro) guy in the place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lozjm

romanos blanchardstwon shopping centre

16 quid dry cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Perhaps I'm overly cynical but:

A place called "Romanos" + Blanchardstown = The Skanger Look?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Skangers wouldn't pay 16 quid for a hair cut....

(Neither would I to be honest!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Go to the Merchant Barbers in the Merchant Alley at the Ha'penny bridge, been going for years and only recently had a discussion with one of the lads talking about how almost every other barbers in the country will give the same haircut no matter what you ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Jip wrote:
    Go to the Merchant Barbers in the Merchant Alley at the Ha'penny bridge, been going for years and only recently had a discussion with one of the lads talking about how almost every other barbers in the country will give the same haircut no matter what you ask for.

The best barber in the country is the Waldorf on Westmoreland st. in Dublin. Get one of the pakistani guys to cut your hair. €16.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Try Trinity Barbers.. just off Dame St on Trinity St (I think!!)..

Its the 2nd street on the left when heading down Dame St away from Trinity The Mike Murphy Insurance Office is on the same street.. (no not the TV guy before the smart ass comments start!!!) :rolleyes:

Top quality barber and about €17.50 for a standard cut.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Try Trinity Barbers.. just off Dame St on Trinity St (I think!!)..
    That's where I got scalped last saturday - €17, and it looks like a generic haircut from a €8 place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I recommend the Green Dolphin, on South Anne st.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Can't remember the name of the place, but I go to the barbers on the Clontarf end of Fairview Strand. Opposite Permanent TSB. Girl Hairdresser, 10euro for a dry cut. Tell her exactly what you want, and leave a tip 'cos she'll get it right. I go there all the time.
    It's a proper barbers, never seen a girl in there, except the one cutting your hair.

Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

The best barber in the country is the Waldorf on Westmoreland st. in Dublin. Get one of the pakistani guys to cut your hair. €16.
    Absolutely agree with this. Get the hot towel shave and head massage while you're in there - €40 all-in but you come out feeling like a new man.

Have to agree with your comments about the Trinity Barber - unless you're looking for the only haircut they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Lozjm wrote:
    romanos blanchardstwon shopping centre

16 quid dry cut

I believe thats Rosso's... and yes, they do a fairly decent noggin chop. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I go to Sams in cabinteely. 6 Euro. A bargain and my hair will end up looking better than all you blokes paying 16euro for hair cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Frankies Barber in Rathfarnham village. 12 euro I think.
    Stay away from the one in the square (tallaght), "Lords" I think?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Hermanns Klip Joint on Grafton street,
    Beside The Body Shop just before the turn off to head for powerscourt shopping centre,small little door leading upstairs,usually has a guy with a sign sitting outside.
    Tuesday to Fridays they do barber college so you get it cut for free,i went in there 2 weeks ago and your man did a damn good job,plus theres a professional standing behind the barber at all times so he doesnt cock up:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I wouldnt say the Green Dolphin was especially good. In fact apart from being friendly I wouldnt say either they or the Grafton Barbers keep me happy.

I'm looking for somewhere new too - do any of these crazy 2-digit cuts have a student price early in the morning? Esp. the Waldorf on Westmoreland st.? Anything over 12eu has been a waste in my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

As other people have said, the Waldorf on Westmoreland St. is excellent, I went there all through college and they rarely screwed up.

I tried Peter Marks and was turned off by paying €40 for someone who hasn't used a razor much to razor-trim my hair. I've gone to Toni and Guy since (sick of damn razor cuts tbh), and they're excellent, if pricey :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

always ask for a cut with a scissors!! i find it allows me to avoid that scanger chique look. razors are for lazy barbers who just go for the uni cut and dont listen to what you say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I went somewhere in Dublin city centre, it's on one end of one of the footbridges, can't remember the name but there was a scalp massage included in the price of the haircut which was just *sigh* ..great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

ReefBreak wrote:
    So do I swallow my macho pride and return to Peter Marks, or can anyone out there recommend a really good place where I won't be the only (hetro) guy in the place.

Why do you give a crap what a load of people in Peter Mark think of you? If you got a haircut there that you liked, I don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

Feck going to a barbers to which can be done yourself..

ive been cutting my own hair for a round 2 years now..

the first few times werent exactly how i wanted it........but you get much better at it..

now its impossible to tell if ive done it myself....looks better now than any barber ever done for me....

u use a good quality electric razor...scissors...a razor (yes..there very handy)
    a mirror.....

fook forkin out money....they rob ya anyway! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Do you look like your avatar? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

close enough :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

ReefBreak wrote:
    That's where I got scalped last saturday - €17, and it looks like a generic haircut from a €8 place.

Jeez anytime Ive gone in there Ive always been very pleased with the results..

Ahh well..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

That the place downstairs about half way through? Really old looking? If so I went there... nothing special. Cost me 20 (Student discount) for a wash and cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

ReefBreak wrote:
    a quality haircut.

Why not try Cork? ;)

Well it is the biggest county in Ireland! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

These days though they seemed to have hired any goon that wants a job. There's only one guy in there recently that I would let cut my hair and that's the owner, but he isn't around that much these days.
    Jip wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

ReefBreak wrote:

I've had the same experience with that place. Usually very goood but can get scalped. Ya have to try and get the rough looking guy, the shorter 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭DubQuax

Thanks everyone who recommended the Waldorf Barber on Westmoreland Street.
    That was by far the best experience I had at a hairdresser in Dublin. Proper scissor cut in a beautiful environment. Absolutely friendly staff and the price is right at €16.
    I had a nice chat with the hairdresser who really knew what she was doing pretty well. At the end she used a proper shaving blade for the little hair around the edges and I was absolutely delighted.
    Going from long hair to a business-like look was a hard decision for me with my previous experience in cheap barber shops.
    Now I've seen the best and don't care about the rest!!
    Thank you all for recommending them and thanks Waldorf for a great service.
    Next thing now is to grow a bit of a beard and have the hot towel shave.

Greetz
    Quax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

Lunatic Fringe on Grafton know their sheeyat. Not cheap though.

Peter Mark can be alright, I've had good and bad experiences there, always lots of entertainment though - MILFs, gargantuan hairdressers thinking they can get away with the sexy black outfits, lots of balls-ups with people's hair getting burnt or turning out the wrong colour, trainees getting lectured and being reduced to tears. Good times, good times...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

tony and guy expensive but worth while brought a male mate in there before and looked great..
    petermarks in lucan is really good and does a lot of guys hair too.

what area are you in?
    theres a girl i know has a mobile unit and is very very good reasonable too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement