Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From Dublin to Mayo

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yoda wrote:
    Currently we are saving up to buy a field and build a house.

The only way to go. Will prob work out about 50k cheaper than buying a similar sized house AND you get the exact house you want.
    Yoda wrote:
    Being 15 minutes' drive from Westport suits me -- or my inner hermit -- too.
    So you got the car then :D
    Yoda wrote:
    The job market per se isn't so vibrant out here in the West, but I guess it depends what you do.
    Yep you pretty much have to have a job set up (if your moving to Westport it's prob Allergen - go Botox) or work from home or be available to take non-career type jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I have a new job in the Belmullet area, but would prefer to be a little closer to a bigger town for my wife's benefit. I prefer Westport to Ballina, so am considering initially renting in the Mulranny / Newport area, and possibly buying further down the line. The commute will be about 45 mins for me, but the road is not bad.

Our second option is to live in Belmullet, but having visited it, I am a little worried about access to general amenities: shops, hospitals, cinemas etc. I don't really want to have to drive an hour every time we want to get to a reasonable sized town (Westport / Ballina). Even though I am currently living in a village in Clare, we have easy access to Ennis.

On the other hand, if I commute 45 mins, there will be a lot more driving involved overall....

Has anybody opinions / suggestions on Newport/Mulranny vs. Belmullet ? Also, should it be pretty easy to get a childminder in the area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Our second option is to live in Belmullet, but having visited it, I am a little worried about access to general amenities: shops, hospitals, cinemas etc.

That would be putting in politely, most people refer it is as barren or windswept or the arse end of nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

kevmy wrote:
    That would be putting in politely, most people refer it is as barren or windswept or the arse end of nowhere

That's what went through my head when I got there too :D

However....we are used to living in a village smaller than Belmullet, so Monday-Friday life would be same. At weekends, we would be used to spending a lot of time in Ennis, which is not far. In the case of Mayo, the closest town will be the best part of an hour away, which is not ideal.

Still, that fact that I will have a full hour extra with my family each day, seems to outweigh the inconvenience of travelling an extra hour at the weekend into Westport or Ballina. Plus, I am studying for a Masters in my own time, so this will definitely help me balance that with work and family life.

We are definitely leaning towards the Belmullet option. I guess the most important thing will be to get out and try to make some friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

yop wrote:
    I used to live there myself Yoda, shame about the shop!! Where abouts are u renting?
    Thornhill.

• Advertisement

kevmy wrote:
    The only way to go. Will prob work out about 50k cheaper than buying a similar sized house AND you get the exact house you want.
    Yeah, the house will be designed by an eco-architect friend of ours. The real question will be location and cost of the field though.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Your site must be expensive around there Yoda? will you put in an Aga too?

Its funny how much empahsis you put on Broadband and the move I'd presume you got it anyway? Then again once you get used to it its impossible to manage without; Anyway nice to see another 'Dulchie' in Mayo we don't get many!

Space greenery and friendly people love it- Says he living in D18......:D

And as re: living in Belmullet the weather is mad up up there its quite isolated too though ive never been there

Your site must be expensive around there Yoda?
    I really haven't started looking yet.
    will you put in an Aga too?
    What a peculiar thing to ask. Why do you ask? Evidently you have views about Agas. I don't have views about them really. A friend in Oxfordshire has one. It seems odd to me to have an oven running 24 hours a day.
    Its funny how much empahsis you put on Broadband and the move I'd presume you got it anyway?
    I work at home and use the internet. Broadband is essential. It's not clear to me why that's "funny"....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I'm getting Married in Belmullet in a few months time. I really like it down there my fiance is from there. There are alot of people who come "home" for the weekends and the bank holiday weekends can be really good. There are some very good pubs and the new hotel is very good.

The Road to Castlebar should hopefully get done in the coming years.

Belmullet is definitely on the up, I can see the difference in the last 3/4 years. There are good few foreign nationals living and working in the area.

If there were a job in my field I there I would definitely think of moving there but alas there is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Yoda wrote:
    I really haven't started looking yet.What a peculiar thing to ask. Why do you ask? Evidently you have views about Agas. I don't have views about them really. A friend in Oxfordshire has one. It seems odd to me to have an oven running 24 hours a day.

I ask because you mentioned it earlier just wondering was all my parents have one they are the business. Expensive but well worth the money so if you were building i would recommend also as you are building in the country pepole are more likely to expect a good range in the kitchen well IMHO anyway
    Allta wrote:
    Bord Gáis doesn't pipe out here, but is canister gas cooking known and convenient – or is the only choice an electric range or an Aga?QUOTE]

(PS Most people would use oil and maybe have gas too but big tanks of it the small cannister things are rare these days)

• Advertisement
Advertisement