Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would RTE News 24 work?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yes, the BBC is the cosiest partner for RTÉ.

Some of the international affiliations...

BBC is linked with ABC in the States
    ITN and NBC,
    Sky News with Fox News and CBS

In Australia, Channel 7 is linked with NBC, and Channel 9 with CNN.

As for Radio 1, I like Ronan Collins show! No playlisted rubbish! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If they did make it and they make ANYTHING like Sky News, I'm marching on RTE' headquarters!
    imho I prefer Euronews in the mornings its alot less full of ****e like Sky "would you like to know more?" News.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've never been particularly fond of the RTE news and I can honestly say that I for one wouldnt watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

yes a 24 hour news channel for this country would be excellent.Its a question why arent rte doing it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The last couple of days have been a good example of where 24 hour news would have come into its own. The floods, Arafat, health politics, the Barroso commission controversy, the kidnapping in Afghanistan, the US elections among others would have kept audiences interested in the news. The breaking news nature of the flooding especially would have been an important information service for people to know what was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

star gazer wrote:
    The last couple of days have been a good example of where 24 hour news would have come into its own. The floods, Arafat, health politics, the Barroso commission controversy, the kidnapping in Afghanistan, the US elections among others would have kept audiences interested in the news. The breaking news nature of the flooding especially would have been an important information service for people to know what was going on.

True, but it can't all be breaking news and that, as Sky News has proven, a channel that relies on breaking news is one that is forced to sensationalise stuff.

I would still love to see an Irish 24 hour news channel, and not sky but RTE or something reputable. Sadly it's just not likely/plausable for the next long, long while :(

flogen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

originally posted by Flogen
    Sadly it's just not likely/plausable for the next long, long while
    yeah i suppose so, i like to think that the existing staff would make a good job of it but realistically at least the bones of a whole new team would probably have to be formed to service a twenty four hour news station. With the license fee issue still a publicly unpopular issue, it would be difficult for an increase to help a news channel get off its feet and could prove another stick with which to beat rte.

Advertisement