Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom III Review - Gamespot - 8.5

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

No. As a movie its more like Rocky IX or Lethal Weapon 24. Very tired.

But hey if the punters want to lap it up. Go ahead.

It dark and theres something scary thats going to go boo! Enjoy.

Seeing as how you havent played the game your comments are not worth squat, at least wait for the demo to come out before posting stupid posts about how much it sucks. Why AMP hasnt banned your ass from these forums for trolling is beyond me.

Doom 3 is one of the best FPS games Iv played and Iv played them all. Amazing GFK, amazing sound and most importantly amazing gameplay. If your that stupid to take what some gamespot hack takes as the word of god then I really pity your future gamplay experences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

The gaamerankings website has loads of reviews of DOOM 3. THe current average is 93%.

Game Rankings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Venom wrote:
    Doom 3 is one of the best FPS games Iv played and Iv played them all. Amazing GFK, amazing sound and most importantly amazing gameplay. ....

I've yet to read a review that says its gameplay is amazing. Most say it pretty limp. They all say its a visual fest, that will take about 2 days max to complete. It a simple run and shoot. Posting a opposing view is trolling? Jeez. As the reviews, yeah well, maybe I'm missing the point, expecting something other then a rehash of Doom1.
    Venom wrote:
    ...Why AMP hasnt banned your ass from these forums for trolling is beyond me....If your that stupid to take what some gamespot hack takes as the word of god then I really pity your future gamplay experences.

In fairness this is thread ABOUT the gamespot review. The only other place I posted about Doom 3 is in the Rant about Doom3. Theres a bunch of other threads about Doom 3 for fans for the game. I reckon my comments are appropriate for the threads they are in.

I've yet to read a review that says its gameplay is amazing. Most say it pretty limp. They all say its a visual fest, that will take about 2 days max to complete. It a simple run and shoot. Posting a opposing view is trolling? Jeez. As the reviews, yeah well, maybe I'm missing the point, expecting something other then a rehash of Doom1.

Every fps boils down to moving through an area and killing everything you meet. Add in scripted sequences ala HL or upgrades to weapons ala SS2 or hacking terminals ala SS2 and it adds a veriation to the gameplay. Doom 3 adds suspence to a horror/sci fi storyline and does it very well. The game looks amazing and the levels are all designed very well and feel like you really are making your way through a base on Mars.

RE used limited save points and lack off ammo to increase tension and D3 takes this idea and knocks it up a notch by adding the light or weapon element to the mix and while it pissed me off at first it does get the heart racing. D3 is the first fps when Iv gone out of my way to check behind me alot along with checking out the roof and walls to make sure no nasty little buggers are lieing in wait for me. HL got praised as a wonderious game for what it added to the fps style of game but in all fairness the story turned ****e at the end when you get to Xen. D3 has a pretty cool story with great little touches like video and txt messages to be found near the dead bodies of there owners.

In fairness this is thread ABOUT the gamespot review. The only other place I posted about Doom 3 is in the Rant about Doom3. Theres a bunch of other threads about Doom 3 for fans for the game. I reckon my comments are appropriate for the threads they are in.

Posting the link to a game review is cool but your not just doing that. You honestly cant have an opinion on how good or bad a game is when you havent played it or even see it being played. You have posted non stop about the faults of Doom 3 basied on what some hack has written on a website. This to me is trolling.

Venom wrote:
    ...Posting the link to a game review is cool but your not just doing that. You honestly cant have an opinion on how good or bad a game is when you havent played it or even see it being played. You have posted non stop about the faults of Doom 3 basied on what some hack has written on a website. This to me is trolling.

You're saying in a thread about a Specific Gamespot - 8.5 Doom3 review I shouldn't discuss that review at all or the points raised in it???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You're saying in a thread about a Specific Gamespot - 8.5 Doom3 review I shouldn't discuss that review at all???

I can't see how you can possible discuss a review, in the sense of agreeing or disagreeing with the reviewer, if you have never seen that movie, read that book or played that game?

You could probably talking about the reviewer, their style or whatever, but the actual subject, I don't think so unless someone can show me how.

Ponster wrote:
    I can't see how you can possible discuss a review, in the sense of agreeing or disagreeing with the reviewer, if you have never seen that movie, read that book or played that game?

You could probably talking about the reviewer, their style or whatever, but the actual subject, I don't think so unless someone can show me how.

If for example the review said theres no save games, or that the game was a pitifully slow on a 10Ghz PC I couldn't have an opinion on that even though I hadn't played the game?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yeah, you could do that, but besides saying that a game that uses darkness as a feature is a kind of cop out, you haven't mentioned specifics such as save games or comp specs.

Not that I have a problem though. it seems that those who like it most and maybe a large % of those that preordered are people who had already played I and II and loved them both.

You're saying in a thread about a Specific Gamespot - 8.5 Doom3 review I shouldn't discuss that review at all or the points raised in it???

Your not so much discussing the review in question as claiming its both valid and correct. Now this is something you cant really do seeing as you havent played the game in question.

So if I read a review of a car and it says its dodgy handling, I can't discuss it till I buy the car then drive it. Its going to be completely different from every other car I've every driven. If they say its the exact same as the previous models and I've driven all of those that doesn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

So if I read a review of a car and it says its dodgy handling, I can't discuss it till I buy the car then drive it. Its going to be completely different from every other car I've every driven. If they say its the exact same as the previous models and I've driven all of those that doesn't count.
    You can't comment on it til you've taken a test drive no.

You can comment on what the reviewer has said, certainly, but if someone who has actually driven the car, or owns the car happens to tell you that the reviewer is incorrect or has some sort of bias against the car, there's not much you can say in retalation having never driven it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Bow down and worship you bunch of plebs.

Count yourselves lucky you've lived to see the 3rd Coming of The Marine.

Whining bitching little bunch of maggots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

They all say its a visual fest, that will take about 2 days max to complete. It a simple run and shoot.
    Id agree its a viual fest and 2 days for todays games is actually quite long.
    Its a simple run and shoot in the fact that u run around and shoot things. It gets more complicated when u add in the fact that you cant see what your shooting at half the time. Doom3 doesnt try to be something its not. Its a dark, atmospheric make your way through countless baddasses and ambushes to a final finalle of (aint gotten there yet so wont go further :p ).... . So far ive not been disappointed. Its absically what i thought it would be and im enjoying it immensely.

I can see a problem tho if someones blown it up so much thats its the best game ever would be disappointed. The only ground breaking things are the graphics really. The lighting has been done superbly (best i've seen in a game) and the sound is awesome. Nice touch with the monitors being usable and readable without having to load a new section.

If you enjoy games with **** hot gfx, simple pick up a gun fight your way through a load of baddasses in a game that tries to scare the outta u (which it succeeds most of the time) then you'll love doom (ie if u liked the original dooms). Else you may find it of passing interest but dont be under the illusion this game is complicated in anyway .

SyxPak wrote:
    Count yourselves lucky you've lived to see the 3rd Coming of The Marine...

Thats a good a postscript as any :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wouldnt it be the 4th comeing ? Doom - doom 2 - final doom - Doom 3

bizmark wrote:
    Wouldnt it be the 4th comeing ? Doom - doom 2 - final doom - Doom 3

Wasnt Final Doom just Doom 1+2 and some of the more popular mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Dont remember tbh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

Why is it bad for Doom III to be 'an old-school' fps? Every fps that comes out these days it seems has to take the genre in some new and amazing direction or it just doesn't cut it.

I think the retro-style wading through beasties and blowing their faces off with a shotgun provides a refreshing blast from the past myself :) With amazing graphics and sound of course, giving the sound an 8 because there's no background music is retarded, this game has some of the best sound ever.

Get your hands on Serious Sam 1 and 2.

Some serious old Skool shootin'!

Advertisement