Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom3 first impressions

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Giblet wrote:
    I hated halo with a passion, the movement felt rubbish, and fighting the same three terrible looking bad guys for two hours doesn't help while running around a grey walled space ship.

Doom has character.
    Don't you mean the grey walls of doom 3?

Halo is way more varied than doom 3 (the outdoor enviroments are terrific while the grey walls in doom 3 get tired quickly. Not to mention better score, better sound efffects, use of vehicles, etc.).

I'm disappointed with doom 3. The graphics are good I guess, but I'm underwhelmed, and not really wowed, considering it took so many years to make it look like it does. So far the gameplay is pretty monotonous as well. Oh well, roll on half life 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

well what a game class in everyway even tho its like at LOWWWWW ! but still they could be blobs but as long as the game play stays the same, also another first SCREAMING LIKE A GIRL :( em happened not too proud but we'll get over it also shouting at the screen, but the game is so scary :rolleyes: if u get a refreshfix type tool it breaks the 60fps mark and if u put the game at 800 X 600 instead of 640 X 480 if u got everything at low improves alot i thought ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

well what a game class in everyway even tho its like at LOWWWWW ! but still they could be blobs but as long as the game play stays the same, also another first SCREAMING LIKE A GIRL :( em happened not too proud but we'll get over it also shouting at the screen, but the game is so scary :rolleyes: if u get a refreshfix type tool it breaks the 60fps mark and if u put the game at 800 X 600 instead of 640 X 480 if u got everything at low improves alot i thought ! :D

Its really hard to understand you... :confused:

Hmm there isnt exactly many ingame sound options...surround sound on/off is about it and that does nothing , any other ideas ? seems to play well on my athlon 1800 , gf4 ti4200 , 512mb ram which is quite surprising!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Got it working...

one of these things fix'd it, Changed my sound type to "headphones" instead of "speakers" in the ctrl panel sound options.( on a few different forums messing around with those options was reccomended ) I put sound acceleration to max aswell.

WOW What a game , it runs quite well on my half ok system ! Slows down a wee bit when going through doors but still looks drop dead lovely. Im about 30 minutes in... v.scary and fantastic atmosphere. I think flying skulls look crap but the zombies and the things that leap about are brilliant ! The movement on those guys that jump about is impressive !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

neXus9 wrote:
    Don't you mean the grey walls of doom 3?

Halo is way more varied than doom 3 (the outdoor enviroments are terrific while the grey walls in doom 3 get tired quickly. Not to mention better score, better sound efffects, use of vehicles, etc.).

I'm disappointed with doom 3. The graphics are good I guess, but I'm underwhelmed, and not really wowed, considering it took so many years to make it look like it does. So far the gameplay is pretty monotonous as well. Oh well, roll on half life 2.

Well the walls in Doom change alot, and have character. Slime oozing out of them.

Halo had the same indoor sections over and over again.
    I agree the outdoor sections were good, but DoomIII couldn't really have much of them, due to it being mars.

Wait until you see some of the areas you can create with the Doom engine.

Oh and if you're waiting for Halflife 2 to be the better looking game, you'll be disapointed. Beyond the few little tricks they have imported into the game theres not much else going on over anything else we've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

neXus9 wrote:
    Okay now thats where youre just plain wrong. Halos sound effects consisted of a few lines shouted by the covenenat, some music, and that was it.
    Doom 3's sound is an absolute masterpiece, every single sound in the game is unsettling, or makes you jump, or wonder 'wtf was that??'
    And as far as hl2 goes, i dont get why everyone thinks its going to be the be all and end all of fps's. So its got a gun that can levitate things, wow, i can see why that took 6 years to develop. Its got those big ass strider things! Big deal, painkiller had 150ft bosses too.
    Bottom line is, i think if youre expecting hl2 to be the greatest game ever and revolutionise fps's youll be sadly let down.
    I can see why some people would be disappointed with doom 3, because its not doing anything new. But the fact is, it doesnt need to do anything new. Imagine if doom 3 had stealth sections? Or right mouse button zooming? Youd be all over it saying 'oh they just ripped the stealth off from deus ex, and that zooming thing was done ages ago in operation flashpoint'.
    ID pretty much invented the fps, without doom and quake, you wouldnt have half the games around nowadays. ID dont need to incorprate stuff from other peoples games, cause other peoples games are 9 times out of 10 influenced by ID's games!
    So for anyone raised on doom like i was, then doom 3 is like mana from heaven. (or hell).

Giblet wrote:
    Halo had the same indoor sections over and over again.
    I agree the outdoor sections were good, but DoomIII couldn't really have much of them, due to it being mars.
    I disagreed that halo was more bland than doom 3. I know that doom 3 is stuck on mars thus naturally limited (It would of being cool to go out actually onto mars though).
    Giblet wrote:
    Oh and if you're waiting for Halflife 2 to be the better looking game, you'll be disapointed. Beyond the few little tricks they have imported into the game theres not much else going on over anything else we've seen.
    I don't care if I see all those things again, as long as I'm playing it as well!! IMO, the graphics are better in hl2, more crisp, more textured, prefer their facial feature effects, etc.
    Deadwing wrote:
    And as far as hl2 goes, i dont get why everyone thinks its going to be the be all and end all of fps's. So its got a gun that can levitate things, wow, i can see why that took 6 years to develop. Its got those big ass strider things! Big deal, painkiller had 150ft bosses too.
    Bottom line is, i think if youre expecting hl2 to be the greatest game ever and revolutionise fps's youll be sadly let down.
    The same could be said about doom, just being doom. I don't think HL2 took as long as six years to develop. Whatever takes your fancy. IMO, HL2 is going to be way more graphically advanced than doom 3 (facial features, texture effects, brilliantly designed cityscapes, great shadowing,etc.). Not to mention the terrific havoks engine, that they optimised.

Feck it, let's just agree to disagree!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Doom 3's sound is an absolute masterpiece, every single sound in the game is unsettling, or makes you jump, or wonder 'wtf was that??'

Ya the sound is amazeing i killed an imp and this loud evil voice started laughing jesus it freaked me the **** out

oh ya anyone haveing graphic problems with doom 3 download dx9c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have the game for a day now played it a good few hours. I find i stop playing it after a hour or so due to it been so scary i just need to take a break to recover. I dont think im far into the game. Im going slow and still in the labs i think have to find someguy who has locked him self into a store room.

Any one else playing the game on Veteran ? Tis hard

neXus9 wrote:
    I disagreed that halo was more bland than doom 3. I know that doom 3 is stuck on mars thus naturally limited (It would of being cool to go out actually onto mars though).

I don't care if I see all those things again, as long as I'm playing it as well!! IMO, the graphics are better in hl2, more crisp, more textured, prefer their facial feature effects, etc.

Feck it, let's just agree to disagree!! :D

lol probably the best thing to do ;)

I dont think hl2 will be that much better looking than doom 3 tbh, i dont know, i just cant see it topping it graphically. Doom 3's lighting is the most advanced ive ever seen, and i honestly cant see hl2 pulling out anything that can top them.

• Advertisement

Iv'e seen excellent shadowing/ natural lighting in the daytime and night in the trailers for hl2. We'll see anyway when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Its fairly impressive-not scary really its more just a kind of ghost train series of "BOO!" type moments with imps leaping out etc.That said its a really fun blaster but very little else and thats exactly what Doom is supposed to be.Im only fairly early on in the game I think I just met what used to be the pink demon.So far im impressed with how fun and playable this game is.

Its fairly impressive-not scary really its more just a kind of ghost train series of "BOO!" type moments with imps leaping out etc.That said its a really fun blaster but very little else and thats exactly what Doom is supposed to be.Im only fairly early on in the game I think I just met what used to be the pink demon.So far im impressed with how fun and playable this game is.
    Oh come on! Its terrifying!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I havent found it to be the kind of scary thats good to have the kind that remains with you after you turn off the computer at night as I said a lot of the fear is based on shocks and things jumping out at you-now System Shock Two is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

I'm enjoying it so far. Was initially pissed off with the lack of lighting but soon realised the game wouldn't be half as scary if everything was fully lit so thumbs up from me on that point - I've lost count of the times I've let out a roar of fright - the 5.1 sound is excellent.

Graphics are amazing BUT the game slows way down during combat and becomes choppy. I've changed resolution to 640 x ??? and noticed combat is much smoother and not choppy at all.

Incidently I'm on a P4 3.2 ati x800se. I know its an entry level card but it plays ut2004 beautifully so a bit miffed it plays doom3 so crap. I guess ATI should spend more money on the open gl team.

Terminator wrote:
    I'm enjoying it so far. Was initially pissed off with the lack of lighting but soon realised the game wouldn't be half as scary if everything was fully lit so thumbs up from me on that point - I've lost count of the times I've let out a roar of fright - the 5.1 sound is excellent.

Graphics are amazing BUT the game slows way down during combat and becomes choppy. I've changed resolution to 640 x ??? and noticed combat is much smoother and not choppy at all.

Incidently I'm on a P4 3.2 ati x800se. I know its an entry level card but it plays ut2004 beautifully so a bit miffed it plays doom3 so crap. I guess ATI should spend more money on the open gl team.

Dude your system is a damn sight more powerful than mine, and yet im playing at 800 x 600 on high detail.
    If youre using an ati card you should read
    This thread, and you should easily be able to play on 1024 x 768, high detail. Do yourself a favour and read it, seriously, theres a huge difference in graphics between 640 x 480 medium detail and 800 x 600 high detail!! Trust me, i know, cause at first i was on 640 x 480, medium detail too. The fix in that thread sorts out most of the openGL problems and gets framerates in the same leagueas nvidia cards for ATI users.

Im running on high with shadows off at 1024@700 (or what ever) on a 9800pro 128meg of ram...Amd 2600xp.....512meg of ram your pc should run it better than mine not worse :eek:

You have shadows off bizmark?? Damn man im on a 2400, 512 ram, and a 9800pro 128 with shadows on. If youve used those tweaks, you should be able to get the shadows on easily!

Ya i had artfacts when i first installed doom 3 tryed a few things to fix it includeing turning off shadows till a download of dx 9c fixed the problem for me just havent been bothered to turn on shadows tbh i hear 9800pros dont really like them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You turned off shadows!

Try not overclocking your 9800 pro, or slightly underclocking it.

• Advertisement

The card is fine now i just havent been bothered to turn shadows on ill do it tonight if the proformance hit is to much ill turn them off again

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Thanks Deadwing - did a few tweaks and now it plays very smoothly on 800x600. Looks good too on higher resolutions but I like to play 50fps at least.

Thanks again.

neXus9 wrote:
    Now that Iv'e played it more I'm actually quite enjoying it!! I can appreciate the graphics now because I have a smoother framerate (thanks to the tweaks). yeah, the graphics are quite impressive. I found it weird how everyone was saying that the sounds/music was brilliant, so I decided to use my good set of headphones, and I was blown away (I guess my speakers just don't cut it anymore)!!

pretty scarey game. Had the lights off at 5 in the morning, and the parents were asleep. My brother came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder in the middle of the dark while I was playing it :eek: ...bastid!! :p:p

Also when I took the headphones off, I could here a scratching sound downstairs...and I was like "what's the f*ck was that??"! It was just my sister's pet hamster on his wheelie thing!! :p

So far it's pretty damn good!! :)

Advertisement