Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King Fans

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

For youse Dark Tower fans, how many of you have read the Browning poem that inspired the series? Next year will be the 150th anniversary of the poem. Seriously cool stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

It here!!
    The dark tower -the final book is in a shop near you.
    Averaging price is 31 euro's, but it's well worth it, the illustrations are unbelievable.

I took all the advice and started the gunslinger again, and now a week later am about to start the waste lands and I can't put the books down. I love it and am kicking myself for waiting so long to read them.
    Even the gunslinger didn't seem so bad the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

I finished the series there recently and now I have nothing left to live for. :P I have stared to read the Eyes of the Dragon but it is just not the same. I want more Dark Tower :( and I don't mean stuff that is connected to it, I mean Roland. I would love to read about Jerico Hill :). That, in my opinion would be the final one ;) As for the ending, it was good but as Roland was my favorite main character I was kinda sad because of what happens to him after it all :(.

As for my favorite book of the series it has to be book 4, without a doubt.

Does anyone else think for a moment that they feel the last 3 books were rushed out. I realise that he did rush them out but I was hoping that they wouldn't feel like it.

As for the person who can't stop thinking about the Dark Tower, your alone. Although I must say Thankya for I felt that I might be the only one and thus slightly man :P

Long days and pleasent nights fellow gunslingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

oscarBravo wrote:
    For youse Dark Tower fans, how many of you have read the Browning poem that inspired the series? Next year will be the 150th anniversary of the poem. Seriously cool stuff...
    The poem is contained in the appendices of The Dark Tower. And maybe the last three books are kinda rushed but I honestly don't think they suffer for it (book 7 is the best of the series imo, even outranking The Waste Lands), well, ok, WOTC suffered a bit, but 1 out of seven books not up to standard I can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

As regards Jericho Hill, I think it's best left to the imagination. That was the best thing about the DT books, they left an awful lot up to your imagination, if it was all explained neatly it would ruin it.

• Advertisement

sam_hain wrote:
    As for the ending, it was good but as Roland was my favorite main character I was kinda sad because of what happens to him after it all :(.

Spoilers please, I'm only on the waste lands.
    Ah Man, what happens to him?
    No don't tell me?
    Tell me!
    Don't.

Now im sad at what i can only imagine is rolands impending doom. Roland is indeed the best and one of my favourite characters to date.

What happens to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

gogo wrote:
    Spoilers please, I'm only on the waste lands.
    Ah Man, what happens to him?
    No don't tell me?
    Tell me!
    Don't.

Now im sad at what i can only imagine is rolands impending doom. Roland is indeed the best and one of my favourite characters to date.

What happens to him?

If anyone replies to this please use spoilers or I'll hunt you down and eat your brains!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

Sorry gogo but I'm not going to spoil it for you. And if I did so far I am truely sorry and forgot the face of my father :( Oh and I reckon that Ka will just kick my ass :p

BTW out of curiousity?!?!?! who are your and other posters favorite characters in the books.

1) Roland
    2) Cuthbert
    3) Oy (i know but I really want him as a friend, i would never think of him as a pet ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

I like to read Stephen King's books. I think i may have read some of The Dark Tower series. Wouldn't be my favourite work by him.

begbie wrote:
    I like to read Stephen King's books. I think i may have read some of The Dark Tower series. Wouldn't be my favourite work by him.

I think that of you had read any of the dark tower books that you would have remembered them. I really think that they are some of kings best work.
    What have you read by King? If you liked IT, The eyes of the Dragon you are sure to like The Dark tower series.
    I found it really hard to get into them, and from suggestions above i started them again, and haven't been able to put them down since.
    Maybe, if your interested you should give them another try.

Sam
    I was joking when i asked what happened to him,(my sense of humour is lost here) I really don't want to know, in fact i don't want to end the books at all, I'm enjoying them so much.
    As for my favourite character, for me its too early in the game yet to be choosing, Cuthbert story is not told until the next book i'm informed, so i'm looking forward to that, so right now it still has to be Roland.
    I should be finished the waste lands tonight, no work tommorrow and all that so I will stay up late reading. Woo Hoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

gogo wrote:
    I think that of you had read any of the dark tower books that you would have remembered them. I really think that they are some of kings best work.
    What have you read by King? If you liked IT, The eyes of the Dragon you are sure to like The Dark tower series.
    I found it really hard to get into them, and from suggestions above i started them again, and haven't been able to put them down since.
    Maybe, if your interested you should give them another try.

I read The Gunslinger for sure. That was a hard read. Now that i think bout it, i also read "The Drawing of the Three" and i found that just as boring. I guess his series type books just ain't my thing. I've read alot of his books: "It", "Salem's Lot", "Skeleton Crew", "The Dark Half", "Rose Madder", "Desperation", "The Gunslinger", "The Drawing of the Three","The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon", "Gerald's Game", "Insomnia", "Carrie", "Misery" and "Four Past Midnight".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Fave character is Roland for sure. Man has more secrets and layers than an onion with a big book of secrets.

Advertisement