Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Also make sure to reclaim the unused tax when the car is outside the UK. You return the tax disc with the form. It will only cost you one month's tax if you time it right. Tax it for a full year as you get it all back except for one month at the annual rate, but if you tax it for a 3 or 6 months, you will end up paying extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

TheHulk wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have been speaking to an Audi main dealer in the London area about a potential purchase. The problem is they will have to tax/MOT the car before sale (car has neither at the moment)

They tell me to tax the car, the v5c form will need to be sent to the DVLA and then registered in my address. I am told it will take 10 days for the form to be sent on to me then.

Is this realistic? Or would I be best to steer clear based on the potential v5c issue?

Thanks

Just to reconfirm what the others are saying, the dealership should know the procedure as they'll follow it for most cars they sell. The dealership should look for an insurance cert in your name covering the car and they are then able to tax it at the post office even though the car is still in the name of the prior owner - note the dealership won't usually appear on the ownership register so it's not in their name as such.

A lot fo people on here don't seem to have bothered to tax it before it left the forecourt. I would definitely get them to MOT it; it's no guarantee of quality but won't cost you anything and would be a prerequisitie for me. Make sure also that they provided you with the full HPI check etc, that's standard for decent dealerships.

The DVLA won't issue a V5C in the name of a foreign resident so you need the full V5C that they have. If the delaer is not familiar with the tax process, they might also be unfamiliar with this - usually when they sell to a UK resident they provide only a small part of the form and send off the balance to Swansea. Look back and you'll see I have linked to the DVLA instructions on this in a previous post. Have these to hand as you need to get the full V5C or walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dealer I bought from wouldnt let me leave until the car was taxed as they didnt want me to run into any trouble

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Same here. Most dealers insist on the car being taxed and insured. It will only cost you one month's tax unless you get it at the end of a month. You get a full refund of unused tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Same here. Most dealers insist on the car being taxed and insured. It will only cost you one month's tax unless you get it at the end of a month. You get a full refund of unused tax.

Its been discussed here before at length, go back over the last couple of pages. you decide if you want it taxed or not, the garage don't decide if it needs to be taxed. If they give you grief to tax it and you don't want to (ie you're heading straight to the ferry) I would suggest you purchase somewhere else where they understand what an export means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

One complication re importing would appear to be getting value for, or getting rid of, current car. I have a 2002 Volvo S40 that I'd be getting rid of. I see on Carzone similar models being priced at circa 2k. Is there any way to get rid of this other than on Carzone? Ideally I would avoid the hassle, if I priced it at well below what is there I still feel it might be hard to get rid of. One of the good things about buying from a dealer here is they will take it as a trade in. I know the value they give you is not what it seems, i.e. cash price would be cheaper when not taking a trade in. Just wondering what people do with old cars with little value when they import.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

One complication re importing would appear to be getting value for, or getting rid of, current car. I have a 2002 Volvo S40 that I'd be getting rid of. I see on Carzone similar models being priced at circa 2k. Is there any way to get rid of this other than on Carzone? Ideally I would avoid the hassle, if I priced it at well below what is there I still feel it might be hard to get rid of. One of the good things about buying from a dealer here is they will take it as a trade in. I know the value they give you is not what it seems, i.e. cash price would be cheaper when not taking a trade in. Just wondering what people do with old cars with little value when they import.
    Put it on Done Deal at a lower price than similar cars and you should shift it. Make sure to put up decent pictures, service history etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

only if you have a UK address

corktina wrote: »
    only if you have a UK address

Not so. You get the refund to an Irish address. You must send in the unused tax disc prior to the end of the month, attached by tape to the proper form.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-tax-disc-refund-form-v14

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Has anyone brought in a Passat 2.0 tdi recently? Ive been looking at picking up a 2007 passat 2.0tdi sport but I was shocked when i found out the VRT is nearly 4 grand. Seems excessive when looking at other models of car in the same category which cost about half that or less to VRT.

Has anyone brought one in and appealed the VRT price and more importantly won??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

What exact model? I just checked a 2007 2.0TDI sport 170BHP and it came back as just under 2 grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Not so. You get the refund to an Irish address. You must send in the unused tax disc prior to the end of the month, attached by tape to the proper form.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-tax-disc-refund-form-v14

Sam, reading that form you linked to, it does'nt seem you can as the vehicle needs to be in your name, and a uk vehicle can't be in your name without a uk address.....so basically anyone is snookered.........unless you have successfully done it?

have you?

I am about to try and get a refund so I will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

ok i have a question and i could really do with it answering asap
    im looking to buy a landrover from england froma private seller.
    ive looked on the DVLA website but its not verys specific https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk
    If you’re taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (also known as permanent export) you need to:
    1. Tell DVLA by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (logbook).
    2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.
    3. Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate - you might need this to register your vehicle abroad.
    The seller wants to send the V5 off as per required but doesnt understand that i need the full v5 form (or atleast the main front page) to register it here in ireland, the above link and quote seem to be laid out to the current owner and i cannot find any part of the DVLA website which says about selling to a none uk resident.
    is their such a part?
    so i could send it to the seller befor ehand just to clear this up with him.

my other idea is i have relatives living in the uk could i just register the v5 at their address and satisfy the seller and then just send off for the certificate of permanant export while they are processing the v5?.
    anyone think this is a viable option?

i really want this land rover, even with fees ferry ect its going to be cheaper than any ive seen in here and ive been searching here now for over a year or so.

ive had a good read through this thread and my previous questions didnt get answered although some have since been covered by others. really could do with a reply about this asap though as times getting short on my ability to purchase it and bring it back here

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Edgey75 wrote: »
    ive looked on the DVLA website but its not verys specific https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

The seller wants to send the V5 off as per required but doesnt understand that i need the full v5 form (or atleast the main front page) to register it here in ireland, the above link and quote seem to be laid out to the current owner and i cannot find any part of the DVLA website which says about selling to a none uk resident.
    is their such a part?

my other idea is i have relatives living in the uk could i just register the v5 at their address and satisfy the seller and then just send off for the certificate of permanant export while they are processing the v5?.

i really want this land rover, even with fees ferry ect its going to be cheaper than any ive seen in here and ive been searching here now for over a year or so.

ive had a good read through this thread and my previous questions didnt get answered although some have since been covered by others. really could do with a reply about this asap though as times getting short on my ability to purchase it and bring it back here
    I'm pretty sure the info. you need has been linked before in this thread, but I couldn't find it by searching the thread for the string www.gov.uk.

I did find this page which you could use to make your enquiry (ask them for a link to the info they are giving you so you can show the seller).

Let us know the result!

Edit: This post (and many other ones) give the state of play as we understand it. The main point is you must get the V5C and the seller has to write to the DVLA to tell them he has sold it to you (name and address) and that you are exporting it from the UK.

At a push, I don't think it will cause you a problem registering the car here if you let the seller use the little tear-off strip if they want - as long as you get the guts of the V5C into your hand.

Point 2 in this post might re-assure the seller too.

Edit 2: The old DVLA website does not seem to exist any more. I found this page which you could show to the seller (especially point 3 - emphasise 'will need' not 'might need' in your case) but the page really refers to the registered keeper exporting the car...

Do query the DVLA using the link I gave above though, and give their answer (hopefully with a definitive link) here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭spuddy

Edgey75 wrote: »

is their such a part?

This is what you need ;) ..."What to do if you are selling your vehicle privately to someone that does not have a GB address" (Page 8)
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065264.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

many thanks Esel & spuddy
    i changed the 2nd question on the email bit to
    Selling a vehicle to a person who will be exporting it immediately

this is the reply i got
    It may be helpful if I explain that, if you are selling your vehicle to a purchaser outside the UK the following advice applies to notifying export.

You, the current registered keeper of the vehicle, shown on the registration certificate V5C, should notify disposal by writing to:

DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1BD

including the:

• vehicle registration number

• make/model

• date of sale

• who the vehicle is sold to

Please note we are issuing automatic acknowledgement letters to confirm that keepers are no longer responsible for the vehicle. If you do not receive the confirmation letter within 4 weeks please contact us.

The complete V5C should be handed to the new keeper who should fill in section 6 of the V5C. Both yourself as current keeper and the new keeper must sign the declaration section 8. The whole V5C should then be handed to the new keeper and this can be used to re-register the vehicle in the host country.

This is a system generated response to your email enquiry. Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

ive linked this to the seller, what i dont understand is why this information is so well hidden on the DVLA site that they need to email you it :P
    thanks again lets hope the guy looks at it and listens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I have seen some ads on Autotrader advising that the price will be de-VATted if selling to an export buyer. Is this something that is standard? i.e. if perusing prices on Autotrader can I factor it in that the price might be including VAT and I can get the VAT off. Sorry if this has been discussed in the thread, did a search but did not find any exact match to my query.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have seen some ads on Autotrader advising that the price will be de-VATted if selling to an export buyer. Is this something that is standard? i.e. if perusing prices on Autotrader can I factor it in that the price might be including VAT and I can get the VAT off. Sorry if this has been discussed in the thread, did a search but did not find any exact match to my query.

If classed as new can get it without VAT, but then you are due to pay VAT on import here.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Sam, reading that form you linked to, it does'nt seem you can as the vehicle needs to be in your name, and a uk vehicle can't be in your name without a uk address.....so basically anyone is snookered.........unless you have successfully done it?

have you?

Edit: To get a refund on unused tax from the UK with an Irish address -

OK, I phoned DVLA in Swansea and after negotiating an interminable set of menus I eventually talked to a bod who told me the following.

1. Get previous owner to to the DVLA saying the he is notifying them of the sale of the vehicle to you, the purchaser, giving the full details. Reg owner, address, reg number, etc etc. This should be sent to : DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. The post code is important as that directs the letter to the correct department. He is rquired to do this anyway, otherwise he can be fined.

2. You fill in form V14, attach the disc by tape (not staple) to the form and send off. Be careful to make sure to use the correct name and address.

3. You fill in form V62 to apply for a change of registered keeper, again name and address must match above acurately. This form is used as no V5C will issue (as it is not needed as you have exported the vehicle).

4. Write a covering letter, explaining that you have purchased the vehicle on the appropriate date, and have exported the car. Give all the details as per item one above. Send items 2, 3 and 4 to the address given for the refund.

It takes six weeks for them to process the refund.

If you get free calls to the uk call them on 00 44 1792 782341 and follow the menus. When it asks 'are you calling from aboard' take that option and continue taking the options till you speak to a human.

I will be following this process. Expect to hear from me again in 6 to 10 weeks time.

• Advertisement

OK, I phoned DVLA in Swansea and after negotiating an interminable set of menus I eventually talked to a bod who told me the following.

1. Get previous owner to to the DVLA saying the he is notifying them of the sale of the vehicle to you, the purchaser, giving the full details. Reg owner, address, reg number, etc etc. This should be sent to : DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. The post code is important as that directs the letter to the correct department. He is rquired to do this anyway, otherwise he can be fined.

2. You fill in form V14, attach the disc by tape (not staple) to the form and send off. Be careful to make sure to use the correct name and address.

3. You fill in form V62 to apply for a change of registered keeper, again name and address must match above acurately. This form is used as no V5C will issue (as it is not needed as you have exported the vehicle).

4. Write a covering letter, explaining that you have purchased the vehicle on the appropriate date, and have exported the car. Give all the details as per item one above. Send items 2, 3 and 4 to the address given for the refund.

It takes six weeks for them to process the refund.

If you get free calls to the uk call them on 00 44 1792 782341 and follow the menus. When it asks 'are you calling from aboard' take that option and continue taking the options till you speak to a human.

I will be following this process. Expect to hear from me again in 6 to 10 weeks time.

Just to clarify for new readers - the above is for seeking a tax refund. It does not relate to the V5C posts above!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Frazedame

i've been looking at importing a 04 Audi A6 1.9Tdi 130 C5 model. VRT calculator has it omsp of nearly 10k and vrt of 2.6k charged @ 27%. Checked out how much a 05 A6 2.0 tdi C6 model cost. OMSP of 6.5k and vrt of 1900 co2 @30%. Even the 06 model was valued less.These were all estates. The old boy is giving me his car but don't want to be ripped off by the vrt crowd. How can they value a nearly 10 year old car at 10k and value newer cars less. Any ideas to this dilemma?

Frazedame wrote: »
    i've been looking at importing a 04 Audi A6 1.9Tdi 130 C5 model. VRT calculator has it omsp of nearly 10k and vrt of 2.6k charged @ 27%. Checked out how much a 05 A6 2.0 tdi C6 model cost. OMSP of 6.5k and vrt of 1900 co2 @30%. Even the 06 model was valued less.These were all estates. The old boy is giving me his car but don't want to be ripped off by the vrt crowd. How can they value a nearly 10 year old car at 10k and value newer cars less. Any ideas to this dilemma?
    You could try getting on to the Revenue CVO (Central Vehicle Office) in Rosslare. It is possible that some of their valuations are in error.

Contact info. from this page (scroll down): Phone no.: 053 9161200. E-mail: cvoffice@revenue.ie

Another alternative (not so attractive) would be to pay the VRT and appeal the amount later. Apparently if you provide enough supporting detail with your appeal, you stand a very good chance of succeeding.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It sounds like its low mileage. The Revenue Calculator puts an obscene premium on car values of a low mileage- in this case- the age of the car is irrelevant (yes, I know- its counter intuitive), and the valuation is based almost entirely on the mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Frazedame

It sounds like its low mileage. The Revenue Calculator puts an obscene premium on car values of a low mileage- in this case- the age of the car is irrelevant (yes, I know- its counter intuitive), and the valuation is based almost entirely on the mileage.

no same prices for 40k miles or 100k miles

no same prices for 40k miles or 100k miles

Ok- glitch in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

does somebody know if the car is registered in the second half of the year,as 55,56,57-Uk,on the irish plates they'll be as next year,06,07,08?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

ma88 wrote: »
    does somebody know if the car is registered in the second half of the year,as 55,56,57-Uk,on the irish plates they'll be as next year,06,07,08?
    Thanks.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

I think he means- if I buy a UK car with a reg from the second half of the year- when I reg it in Ireland will I get the equivalent 131, 132, 141,142 reg etc- or will it be a 13, 14, 15, etc......

Answer- it depends on whether the scheme is continued, woundup or extended (e.g. the SIMI are now suggesting breaking it into 4 quarters instead of two halves). Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

What do you mean?
    for example the uk reg is FZ57SVF,after register in Ireland will that be 08 -D-...(2008 year Irish,when the uk is september 2007)?thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement