Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

One last question as I've just bought a car but not picked it up yet.
    Where is the VRO? Please don't say in town.

Never mind, I found it on the web that it's the same place as the tax office down here in Wicklow.
    I see that it's only open Tuesday and Thursday, so I presume that they will give you a bit of leeway on the 24 hour rule for a car bought on say a Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dooda

hey guys,
    just read the whole thread, fantastic it is,

3) questions arent totally answered for me.

1) anyone who can recomend someone to import the car for u after u buy it, ie get over there themselves and bring it back for a price?

2) whats the best company to get the pre test done by, AA , RAC and whats the general charge for this?

3) is it reccomended to purchase privatley if the checks and the finance check come back a1

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

Is there a VRT office in Dublin??? I can't seem to find one:

http://www.revenue.ie/cont_main.htm#VRT

If it has an MOT, will I still have to get the NCT done before I can tax it??

• Advertisement

Thirdly - I just brought in a 2000 reg Jaguar XK8 - this is a business car, so can I register it as a commercial vehicle and just pay the €75?? How likely am I to get away with this considering it IS actually a company car?

********** double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Thirdly - I just brought in a 2000 reg Jaguar XK8 - this is a business car, so can I register it as a commercial vehicle and just pay the €75?? How likely am I to get away with this considering it IS actually a company car?

Eh no.. :rolleyes:

Great car though, i'm seriously considering one myself.

If it has an MOT, will I still have to get the NCT done before I can tax it??

MOT is irrelivant, you still must nct it.

So......does anyone know if there's a VRT office in Dublin??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Please read the sticky!

There's one in Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

kluivert wrote:
    Ann Summers in Newry are .70

Ye dirty divil:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Carb wrote:
    Ye dirty divil:D

Just like the cars the stuff in there is cheaper than the one in Dublin.

Go on d' Ann Summers!!

Ladies World Cup Lingerie Football Tournament Ooo.. Yeah!! :D

Decided to buy in the North anyway.
    Just bought an English 2003 Passat TDi SE for €15,500 overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

Anyone ever buy a UK import to discover it was clocked? And if so, whats the recourse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

sorry to add to the spam on this thread. Read back to page 8 and couldnt find the answer. If i get the cover letter from the vro,and get stopped by guards. What will they do if it doesnt have MOT or TAX?
    Just thought someone on here would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Hello
    1st off thanks for the great thread, it was a big factor in giv9ng me the confidence to buy from the UK. My question is this: does anybody know how often the VRT rates on cars are changed? I'll be registering my car in the next week, I'd hate to reg it then see the price drop by a couple of hundred the next day!

Thanks

Drove around for two and a half hours in Tallaght yesterday looking for the VRO but couldn't find it at all. I know it's not too far from the Square or DID but all I ended up in was the Square car park. Anyone I asked was either Chinese or Eastern European.
    Anyone know any clear directions? And please don't tell me to go down the Bellguard road, as that's what everyone says and I had no clue how to find that either. I'll be coming from the Blessington road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

You were pretty near. Beside DID, there is a Smyths toystore there i think. Go round the back as if you are heading for tallaght village and its there on the left. St John's House. Go into a shop or office and they'll tell you. I was driving around for ages without realising i was right beside it.

I found this picture this morning (the bottom of the two). Is that road marked "Tallaght By-Pass" the road coming in from Blessington? It looks pretty easy from that pic, although it's a different story when you're actually there with other traffic and road works.

How long will it take me if I find this place? I've heard from a few people that there's an enormous amount of paperwork to fill out.

map.gif

• Advertisement

The office is exactly where i marked on the map with the arrow. Dunno who told you about all the paperwork. 1 form if i remember, then you pay. That's it. 15 minutes, extra if you have to queue of course.

31797.gif

quarryman wrote:
    The office is exactly where i marked on the map with the arrow. Dunno who told you about all the paperwork. 1 form if i remember, then you pay. That's it. 15 minutes, extra if you have to queue of course.

31797.gif

That's two bits of good news you've told me. Cheers!
    If I leave now I should get to Tallaght for half two so I'll give it another shot today.

did you get it sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

Hi Chaps, I would like to confirm something I heard recently. I was told by two seperate people unconnected that if I was working for a company based in the UK or otherwise that the car would not have to be registered - is this true? Does anyone know what sort of evidence one would have to show if stopped by customs? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

True but you must be here on commerical business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

ROBERTR......Great thread by the way. most helpful. Do you think if i was
    buying a Seat car from a uk seat dealership which still has a Seat warranty,
    should i still get an AA/RAC check and a HPI check done?? I would think not but would appreciate your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Silly question, but buying a new car from the UK. The third rule says (3) You will have to pay VAT on all cars under 6 mths old or less than 6,000kms even if they are from within the EU. Does this mean you have to pay VAT in the UK and then again for Ireland? Sounds like you're paying twice and then slap on the VRT which for the car I'm interested in is €5612 which is a lot for a 24k car over here. It almost ends up not being worth it. Have I made a miscalculation, (most likely yes :))

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

kluivert wrote:
    True but you must be here on commerical business.

so I can be a salesman here in the republic then but do I have to register or contact the VRT? If so what must I show them?

N8 wrote:
    so I can be a salesman here in the republic then but do I have to register or contact the VRT? If so what must I show them?

If you're working, living and paid here there's no point pretending because it's a 'UK-based' employer that you can get round VRT.

The revenue have seen and heard every possible get-around possible. I doubt this will work.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote:
    did you get it sorted?

I did indeed. Just the other day when I finally found it. Had to get my own county's reg though unfortunately, so there was no need for the trek to Tallaght in the hope of a 'D'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement