Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

Andip wrote: »
    I can't get a date with the VRT place until 2nd January, but just wondering if I can get the NCT done before on UK plates as I'll be working away midweek after that and need the car ?

Also, if I insure if from now with UK plates (I understand I have a month from the insurers to change the plates) is it legal to drive without NCT ? It has a valid MoT until 13th January

i had no issues driving around on uk plates and uk mot/tax while i was waiting for the vrt to be sorted out. dont know the full legality of it but the vehicle was insured and the insurer didnt have any problems with me using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd say once you have all the bookings in place and insurance , you'd be OK on UK tax and MoT fttb.

You can't NCT it on UK plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Edgey75 wrote: »
    i had no issues driving around on uk plates and uk mot/tax while i was waiting for the vrt to be sorted out. dont know the full legality of it but the vehicle was insured and the insurer didnt have any problems with me using it.

Did you have the UK registration document or did the UK seller post that to the DVLA, if so, what did you present to the vrt people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

You need to have the UK V5c registration document to present to the VRT people. No way around it. You should have been given it by the seller. Did they post it to the DVLA?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I can't get a date with the VRT place until 2nd January, but just wondering if I can get the NCT done before on UK plates as I'll be working away midweek after that and need the car ?

Also, if I insure if from now with UK plates (I understand I have a month from the insurers to change the plates) is it legal to drive without NCT ? It has a valid MoT until 13th January

As long as you book within 7 days of importing and VRT within 24 days of booking, you're grand. (total of 31 days to complete process)

NCT can't be done on foreign cars, but you can drive the car on UK plates until it's VRT'd.

While it doesn't need MOT to drive within ROI, it does need a valid MOT to be VRT'd. So you're just in on that one.
    Did you have the UK registration document or did the UK seller post that to the DVLA, if so, what did you present to the vrt people ?

You need the registration document. UK seller shouldn't post anything to DVLA as the car is being exported. I've heard they could send a letter informing DVLA that the car has been sold for export and is no longer theirs, but it explicitly states in the registration document not to return if car is being exported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

As long as you book within 7 days of importing and VRT within 24 days of booking, you're grand. (total of 31 days to complete process)

NCT can't be done on foreign cars, but you can drive the car on UK plates until it's VRT'd.

While it doesn't need MOT to drive within ROI, it does need a valid MOT to be VRT'd. So you're just in on that one.

You need the registration document. UK seller shouldn't post anything to DVLA as the car is being exported. I've heard they could send a letter informing DVLA that the car has been sold for export and is no longer theirs, but it explicitly states in the registration document not to return if car is being exported.[/QUOTE

It can be VRT'd without an MOT, but it would need a roadworthiness inspection

Thanks to everyone, it was my sisters' car which she's gifting me (for Christmas !) so no issues with getting the V5, just wondered.

Everything else in place, albeit I'm over the 2 day limit as it came into Ireland on the 22nd November and has been off road as I've been in the UK since. I spoke with the VRT centre as it's booked for 2nd Jan and explained that I flew back to the UK on the 23rd and the vehicle won't actually be in my name until next week & he didn't seem overly concerned.

Last question, I see on the email the vrt people sent me they are looking for

"For used vehicles, you must provide documentation approved by the Revenue commissioners confirming the CO2 emissions. (only applicable to category A vehicles). "

It's not on the V5 as it's a 2001 vehicle....any ideas

emissions not applicable to a 2001 vehicle so I'd ignore that

(just for correctness, it's 30 days not 31)

re logbook...you should have left it in your sisters name and just booked the NCT appointment. You will need to show evidence of when it came into country, which put you over the thirty days and you may be charged a penalty.

corktina wrote: »
    emissions not applicable to a 2001 vehicle so I'd ignore that

(just for correctness, it's 30 days not 31)

re logbook...you should have left it in your sisters name and just booked the NCT appointment. You will need to show evidence of when it came into country, which put you over the thirty days and you may be charged a penalty.

Thanks, the logbook is still in her name and I also have the original insurance cert in her name which has me as an additional driver, that's valid until early January. Technically she won't be signing the car over to me until today so having booked the vrt today and arranged insurance from today, I'm hoping I'll be ok.

A bot of imagination with a receipt from her might help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

"For used vehicles, you must provide documentation approved by the Revenue commissioners confirming the CO2 emissions. (only applicable to category A vehicles). "

It's not on the V5 as it's a 2001 vehicle....any ideas

If they insist (which they're not supposed to, as you're based on engine size rather than CO2 emissions) what you need is a certificate of EU Conformity.
    Depending on the make and model of car- even with an older car, they may request it (I had to get one for a 2003 car- and when I complained, I got absolutely no where).

If they insist (which they're not supposed to, as you're based on engine size rather than CO2 emissions) what you need is a certificate of EU Conformity.
    Depending on the make and model of car- even with an older car, they may request it (I had to get one for a 2003 car- and when I complained, I got absolutely no where).

Where one earth do I get one of them ?!

Just found one in the pile of documentation but it's in German - are they likely to accept that. Turns out the car was first registered in the uk but sourced at new via the internet from Germany.

Just found one in the pile of documentation but it's in German - are they likely to accept that. Turns out the car was first registered in the uk but sourced at new via the internet from Germany.

Mine is in Swedish- no issue with them accepting it (its for a Volvo).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

Does this thread have an updated version of events? The OP is fairly outdated at this stage regarding NCT centres and stuff afaik, and I'd love to know all the facts before heading over.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭oldfella

hi-- how much vrt would i have to pay on a 2005 ford focus 1.8 diesel .90 k miles ,edge model
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

no under uk law a seller has to give you the log book and they write to dvla if they wont do it theirs info in this thread to the .gov site showing it, if they still wont listen walk away.
    VRT people got the v5 off me and proof of import etc
    section 3 - 8
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065264.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

oldfella wrote: »
    hi-- how much vrt would i have to pay on a 2005 ford focus 1.8 diesel .90 k miles ,edge model
    thanks

You can look it up on Revenue's VRT calculator:

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s3

Edgey75 wrote: »
    no under uk law a seller has to give you the log book and they write to dvla if they wont do it theirs info in this thread to the .gov site showing it, if they still wont listen walk away.
    VRT people got the v5 off me and proof of import etc
    section 3 - 8
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065264.pdf

Ok emailed the DVLA today and got this back:

"If you are selling your vehicle to a purchaser outside the UK the following advice applies to notifying export.

You the current registered keeper of the vehicle shown on the V5C should notify disposal by writing to DVLA, including the reg, make/model, date of sale and who the vehicle is sold to.

The complete V5C should be handed to the new keeper who should fill in section 6. Both yourself as current keeper and the new keeper must sign the declaration. The whole V5C should then be handed to the new keeper and this can be used to re-register the vehicle in the host country."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Ok emailed the DVLA today and got this back:

"If you are selling your vehicle to a purchaser outside the UK the following advice applies to notifying export.

You the current registered keeper of the vehicle shown on the V5C should notify disposal by writing to DVLA, including the reg, make/model, date of sale and who the vehicle is sold to.

The complete V5C should be handed to the new keeper who should fill in section 6. Both yourself as current keeper and the new keeper must sign the declaration. The whole V5C should then be handed to the new keeper and this can be used to re-register the vehicle in the host country."
    +1. If the seller has the old type V5 the instructions will not be as per the new V5-as in give the full V5 to the seller-and this can cause problems. You may be able to persuade him to fill in Section 11 and to give you the rest. If not it is too much hassle so walk away.

• Advertisement

Morning all.

Will probably be heading over in the week or two to buy a 08 car. Just wondering if there's any official way to find out what the vrt will be on January 2nd? Or is it case of checking the calculator today with all the details of the car I'm interested in and jus make it a year older?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

From previous experience there is not a huge decrease in VRT when the New Year comes. Use the calculator now to get your quote and you can be sure the VRT next year will be very similar.

Harcrid wrote: »
    From previous experience there is not a huge decrease in VRT when the New Year comes. Use the calculator now to get your quote and you can be sure the VRT next year will be very similar.

I'd echo this. Damn all difference- use todays calculation- its going to be in the same ballpark.

There's around €200 in the difference between the 2007 a d 2008 quotes. Mightnt seem like much, but at this time of year it is.

Soarer wrote: »
    There's around €200 in the difference between the 2007 a d 2008 quotes. Mightnt seem like much, but at this time of year it is.

Depends on the make/model and when it was first registered in the UK (I unfortunately have a 17th Dec UK reg- so I got screwed over, but then again, I got specs that weren't readily available here).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

That probably 1 year difference. If you're quoting the same car this year and in 2 weeks' time, that's a 2 week difference, so the value of the car doesn't decrease by much.

rocky wrote: »
    That probably 1 year difference. If you're quoting the same car this year and in 2 weeks' time, that's a 2 week difference, so the value of the car doesn't decrease by much.

That's what I'm doing in the hopes of finding out what the vrt will be.

I'm assuming that using all the details of the 2008 car but using 2007 will give me the same vrt rate as the 2008 car in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Cars don't devalue for 1 year in January.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That's what I'm doing in the hopes of finding out what the vrt will be.

I'm assuming that using all the details of the 2008 car but using 2007 will give me the same vrt rate as the 2008 car in the new year.

That will be way off for a low emission car where 2008 tax is much lower than 2007. The omsp for 2007 will be a fair bit lower than 2008 one will be, next year or this.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about the tax. It's the vrt, and its based on co2 whether the car is 07 or 08.

So basically there's no way of finding out what the vrt will be in January until January?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement