Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanner Frequencies

Options
  • 23-07-2004 2:42am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am board and have a scanner here do any of you lot have any good Frequencies I can tune into...I am not asking for the garda or anything illegal (i have all them) just something I can tune into and have a bit of a nosey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

do a scan and you might pick up your local taxi crowd(s). a mate of mine has a scanner. was v interested in getting one until i had a wee listen of his. nothing impressive at all. even the gardai keep the important stuff away from scanners and use the mobile phones instead. still if your bored its something to do. where you from. be more fun if you lived in more populated area i think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am very bored I got a lend of this thing weeks ago and have not got a chance to listen into it much,I am in Dublin so I should pick up alot only thing is there are so many bands etc etc you would have to no what you are looking for.

I remember years ago when you could pick up mobile phone calls on them...now that was interesting stuff

thats why vodfone got rid of 088 network. you can check for garda firebrigade etc etc frequencies in your area with a bit of googling i'm sure. the garda one is the one for me. rarely enough you hear something about someone you know or somewhere near you. also i think the gardai are going digital soon so eavesdropping on them will be a thing of the past soon enough

It looks like I am stuck with the garda for now....I would love to get the Frequencies for the shooping centers around Dublin.

I used to love listing in to the 088 phone calls,the things you would here....we are a strange bunch us Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

You can still listen to old cordless phones. The analogue ones before DECT came out. Only thing is that you might only hear one side of the conversation, and the other will be on another frequency.

Also Air traffic control is another. 118.6 129.17 121.8 VHF band and plenty more. They are just three common ones. But if you have a transmitter do NOT transmit.

As for the Gardai, I thought they had already switched to digital?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by Dub13

I used to love listing in to the 088 phone calls,the things you would here....we are a strange bunch us Irish.

and it was very illegal if i recall correctly,

i often pick up my neighbour's phone call's, on there coardless phone,

scanner's take noisy neighbour's to the next level....

they are trialling it in dublin at moment. as for rest of country they're still on analouge. they know the craic though. don't hear anything too major and a lot of can you call me on the mobile. a matter of time i thinks. park in car outside disco where bouncers are rigged up. best of craic listening in if you've nothing better to be doing.

Originally posted by fluffer

Also Air traffic control is another. 118.6 129.17 121.8 VHF band and plenty more. They are just three common ones. But if you have a transmitter do NOT transmit.

As for the Gardai, I thought they had already switched to digital?

air trafic is ok to lissen to afaik, the garda in bray ( bravo i think) can still be picked up,

lissening to the police is ok as long as YOU DONT USE THE INFOMATION, ie. lissening for a laugh at home @ night, (FINE)
    waiting in a getaway car outside a bank your mate is robbing (ILLEGAL)

i'll google for the freq's now,

joe

agent smith. correct me if i'm wrong. but as far as i know it's only illegal to use a scanner is if you are using it for an illegal purpose. nearly certain of that.

you can be sitting listening to garda frequency with gardai sitting beside you and they cannot do a thing for the simple fact that you aren't using it for criminal gains

already corrected. ;)

• Advertisement

yep, you can lissen in a police station, and they cant touch you, but as i said, if your driving a getaway car from a bank robbery, you cant lissen,

Joe

Now that they are open do any of you have the shopping centers Frequencies....?

anybody on now have any Frequencies....?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

slightly off topic, but my cousin once had a cheap set of walkie talkies which only worked when you stood about 2ft away from each other. What was best about them was that you could pick up the local cab companies radio at certain times, and what was most fun was you could talk to them.

Ah, the fun I had sending cabs to my cousins neibhours and watching them getting pissed off... I also once spoke to a girl (dont know if she was driving or in the base) and she thought I was someone working for the company. I asked her out, she laughed, and I pretended to cry... alot of fun really (I was only 10 or 11)

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

You are allowed to listen to ham and CB radio ,commercial radio and any transmission ment for you , ie you are a taxi driver listening to your own frequency , thats fine.
    Listening to the gardai , even for a laugh is illegal . and the "its legal if you dont use it for an illegal purpose or dont pass it on" is untrue , it is legal in the states though so maybe thats where it originated from. That said, its really one of those unenforcable laws (how can you be caught?) if you want some frequencies you might get what you want on my site www.irish-scanning.4t.com or try around 164.00 to 164.200 with a step of 12.5 kilohertz on narrow band FM and the same for 159.00- 159.200 ( the mobiles) or try scanning between 455 and 456mhz , Dont know if they use that one any longer. best of luck

Dancing_Priest,
    Thanks for that....its hard to find anything to listen to when you dont have the Frequencies.I belive the Gards are using a system now were you cant here them....(not that I ever did incase any are reading this).As I said I would like to get in the shopping centers.I will check out your site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hackfest

There's a good list of frequencies here, particularly marine channels 16, 23 and 67. 16 is the hailing frequency and is used by all vessels arriving and departing to tell the coastguard who and what they are, where they're going and how many are on board.

Other widely used frequencies are Dublin Airport while if you want to taunt the law all the Dublin Garda freqs are there too.

I have a scanner also and found this list most useful, although I'm far from Dubin! My most listened to are Shanwick, marine channels 16 and 23 and the local Gardai.

Oh, the airline company frequencies for Aer Lingus and Ryanair can be very revealing as the pilot talks about what sort of pax he has, sometimes with little or no candour! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This site has all the usual's plus Mountjoy Prison, the Point Depot, Clampers, Post Office, British Army and the RUC.

http://www.esatclear.ie/~derekhaughton/scannerz.htm#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

It's a sad day when we're allowed to give links to sites giving Garda frequencies but not to sites bit bittorrent files....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Fair play to you all, you've brought back some crazy 088 memories.

I've just pulled out my old scanner from the bottom drawer. I haven't used it since the 088 went offline. I now entering some new freqs to see what I can find.

delly,
    Let us know how you get on.

Thanks to the rest of you,I will have fun checking them all out

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've put about 60 or so freqs that i've cherry picked into the scanner.

One freq that is defo live is 164.1400. Can't remember what it is, but some guy is talking about 'banging doors'at some address.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Honestly guys, go out and get laid, would ye?

Having special branch rubber glove you because you like "cool" stuff isn't bright.

delly,
    I hope you dont mind if I cherry pick of you....I will let you no if I get any active ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

you know those eircom DECT phones, can you connect ot another base station in, say your neigbours house and use their line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by VinnyL
    you know those eircom DECT phones, can you connect ot another base station in, say your neigbours house and use their line?

nope, tried it at next doors (with their permission) but it kept picking up the base station at my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lemsip

Originally posted by VinnyL
    What frequencies do they operate at?

they are scrambled, afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 robertjordan

i have a friend who is bedridden and would love to get a scanner to pass the time with any idea where he can get one, he also doesnt have much money can anyone help him out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement