Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

short space cartoon that was ALWAYS on rte in the 80's

Options
  • 18-07-2004 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

the music may or may not contain a sample from prodigy's out of space- I dunno. This is a crazy ass cartoon- really, really old. It's about this fella, he wakes up, his phone or alarm clock or something...blah blah <memory gap> get's into a little rocket with the union jack on it and off he goes. Then lots of crazy synthisiser music and he's in space- and space is a strange place, a very, very strange place. There's all sorts of strange animations and Terry Gilliam style mattes and live action ****, kitchen utensils, glasses with cartoon noses blowing steam out the nostrils, just all sorts of crazy cartoon things as well as everyday objects going past the screen just absolutly demented **** but the memory ain't the best so I can't desribe it any better. So he goes into space, sees all this mental stuff and I guess he comes back to earth and that's the cartoon. Anyone know what it was called? I'd love to se it again maybe find a copy of it...

THere's another one now that I think about it, about the design of cars, all this crazy stuff, like automatic prams controlled by radio and all, then they invent the ultimate car that can open its mouth and make another car until there's cars covering the whole planet- weird ****, rte really had the budget to get the most bizzare cartoons I tells yah.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I remember the cartoon but not its name, prolly something like that thing with David Jason doing the voiceoveer (not Count Duckula)

Found it! (i think)

DangerMouse

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

nah Mike- I'd know dangermouse man.
    Altho DM was pretty phunky :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This isn't the cartoon where the guy is a green guy with black eyes? I remeber that from the 80s and it had weird synthesizer music and weird stuff in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is it Dr. Snuggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ixoy
    This isn't the cartoon where the guy is a green guy with black eyes? I remeber that from the 80s and it had weird synthesizer music and weird stuff in space.
    That's the one I thought of when I saw the thread title. It seemed to be on whenever they had a few minutes to fill.

I've a very vague memory of the cars one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I remember that green guy with the wierd synth music. I think it came under the heading "Cartoon Time" when it was on, maybe it didn't have a name, or not one in English anyway. Even the word cartoon needs to be taken in it's loosest terms when used to describe that sh1te. I remember hating it as I wanted to see Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Dr. Snuggles jeebus that cartoon scared the crap out of me. What were those writers thinking.

Voiced by Peter Ustinov(spelling?) I think

snug01.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by jor el
    I remember that green guy with the wierd synth music. I think it came under the heading "Cartoon Time" when it was on, maybe it didn't have a name, or not one in English anyway. Even the word cartoon needs to be taken in it's loosest terms when used to describe that sh1te. I remember hating it as I wanted to see Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner :mad:

great heading "Cartoon Time" - usually last 5 mins

remember Jeremy The Bear?

or Lug - Irish cartoon - Lug lived in The Burren, Co Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

It dosen't sound like doctor snugels because that was Belgian ,although he did go into space in a spaceship.Somethimes he'd visit a giraffe that lived in the clouds or go and talk to the moon.
    And it had some dogey synth at some points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

no dr snuggles was that demented canadian trippy yoke with talking trees and the animation was just so- blarrgh, yes there was something disturbing about that yoke.

The green tron-era cg thing with the jean michelle jarre music was another "masterpiece" of that era, although I think this one was made earlier- like at the earliest the 60's or latest 70's- when the concept of the british sending a manned rocket to outer space wasn't so utterly laughable even if it was a cartoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow, I gotta see this thing before I die!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The description reminds me of "Jayce and the wheeled warriors", although that was a half hour length cartoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm gonna risk being severely punished for dragging up a four and a half year old thread, but can ANYONE shed light on this particular cartoon? I remember it so well, along with the alien guy (I've since learned that was Autobahn).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I don't remember the space one but I did see the cars one once or twice when I was very young. Think it scared me for some reason. :confused:
    THere's another one now that I think about it, about the design of cars, all this crazy stuff, like automatic prams controlled by radio and all, then they invent the ultimate car that can open its mouth and make another car until there's cars covering the whole planet- weird ****, rte really had the budget to get the most bizzare cartoons I tells yah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

sport billy springs to mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huJlDsfXf5U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well the descriptions of the 'alien' sounds like Marvin the Martian. Timeline is about right too if it was meant to be 60's or 70's.

Its funny I saw this thread, because I was watching Dangermouse today. It was on BBC2 around noon. It still rocks, even to this day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's not the Kraftwerk Autobahn video? (probably not but it was a weird cartoon I remember being on a lot when I was a kid)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember the one with the cars,i think it ends with a huge trafic jam.

Pigman II wrote: »
    It's not the Kraftwerk Autobahn video? (probably not but it was a weird cartoon I remember being on a lot when I was a kid)

They used always show this on rte in the 80s ,trippy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CP and quickstitch was space based but one of the characters was a sewing machine ..

Old TV listings
    http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/
    http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-3012.html Aug 26 1985

0600 Ceefax AM
    0650 Breakfast Time
    0920 The Pink Panther Show
    0945 Huckleberry Finn And His Friends Final episode.
    1005 Hartbeat With Tony Hart.
    1025 C-P And Quickstitch
    1030 Play School
    1050 Bagpuss
    1105 Cartoon
    1115 Film: The Hideaways
    1300 News And Weather
    1305 Film: Rocket To The Moon Sci-fi comedy.
    1500 Grandstand Bank holiday sporting action including show jumping from Hicksted.
    1710 Disney Time BBC One's traditional bank holiday Disney showcase.
    1800 News And Weather
    1810 Regional News
    1815 Jim'll Fix It Bank holiday special.
    1900 Wogan
    1940 Ever Decreasing Circles Starring Richard Briers.
    2010 Film: Witness For The Prosecution Courtroom drama penned by Agatha Christie.
    2150 News And Weather
    2205 Bob Monkhouse Meets Joan Rivers
    2250 Edinburgh Military Tattoo Highlights of the annual extravaganza given by the Armed Forces as part of the Edinburgh Festival.
    0005-0010 Weather And Close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

0945 Huckleberry Finn And His Friends Final episode.
    Speaking of, I noticed that this whole show is up on youtube if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=HFAHFChannel&view=videos

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rubberneck

Thank god someone else remembers it. I was trawling tru the retro site and i was amazed to see someone else describe it exactly as i remember it!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054898880

are we any closer to identifying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Anyone know if it's possible to get episodes of jeremy the bear, ethier on d.v.d or VHS? would love my youngest to see this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Lads I know exactly the show you're on about and I really want to see it! Especially cause I've just bought a projector and was thinking about cool animations from the 80s that I could watch. You just don't get those technical breakdown gaps anymore where RTE have to fill in 10 mins!
    I managed to find one oldie though that I loved when I saw it when I was a child

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x217wl_ishu-patel-paradiseparadis_shortfilms

Hope you find the space one though. I saw it at least 3 times when i was young. Dying to see it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1012594711

I remember seeing 'CP and Quickstitch' on BBC1 Children's programmes. Most of the BBC Children's programmes were made by themselves or imported from the US. It was interesting to see one by RTE on the BBC channel at the time. RTE bought a lot of BBC programmes, but did not sell as many to the BBC at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Here's an episode of that CP and Qwikstich programme

It was shown on BBC1 in 1985, not sure when RTE would have shown it first

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=0&q=qwikstitch&media=all&yf=1923&yt=2009&mf=1&mt=12&tf=00%3A00&tt=00%3A00#search

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Anyone remember, Lolek and Bolek

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Skid X wrote: »
    Here's an episode of that CP and Qwikstich programme

It was shown on BBC1 in 1985, not sure when RTE would have shown it first

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=0&q=qwikstitch&media=all&yf=1923&yt=2009&mf=1&mt=12&tf=00%3A00&tt=00%3A00#search

Here's a link on RTE Archives. It was first shown in 1982.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1016/652830-robots-come-to-life/

• Advertisement

the music may or may not contain a sample from prodigy's out of space- I dunno. This is a crazy ass cartoon- really, really old. It's about this fella, he wakes up, his phone or alarm clock or something...blah blah <memory gap> get's into a little rocket with the union jack on it and off he goes. Then lots of crazy synthisiser music and he's in space- and space is a strange place, a very, very strange place. There's all sorts of strange animations and Terry Gilliam style mattes and live action ****, kitchen utensils, glasses with cartoon noses blowing steam out the nostrils, just all sorts of crazy cartoon things as well as everyday objects going past the screen just absolutly demented **** but the memory ain't the best so I can't desribe it any better. So he goes into space, sees all this mental stuff and I guess he comes back to earth and that's the cartoon. Anyone know what it was called? I'd love to se it again maybe find a copy of it...

Found it. I could picture it in my head when I saw this thread originally but couldn't remember what it was called.It's one of those old Halas & Batchelor short animations that RTE showed a lot in the 80's.

Advertisement