Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

console controllers [gamecube][ xbox] [ps2] which is the best

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    The Xbox's Controller-S is definetly my favourite, while the fat version is possibly the worst first-party console controller ever made.

Small hands? :)

For me, the Xbox large controller is about on par with the Cube controller, while the PS2 controller is extremely badly designed – at least for male adult size hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Totally agree with you monument.

Just got Toca Race Driver 2 today and the large Xbox pad is a dream when playing it. Fits perfectly in my hands and every button need is instantly pressable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Have to say the best console controller for fps games was the N64 controller. The z button was really well placed. In Goldeneye it felt like you were pulling the trigger of a gun.

it seemed to me that, that controller was made for goldeneye what a great controller it was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best digital pads ever made were the Saturn or Mega Drive 6-button controllers

The 6-button mega drive controller was a thing of beauty. I hope your talking about the japanese saturn controller. The japanese controller was wonderful to use. However the first american cntroller was a shambles on par with the fat xbox controller. They had to stop making them just like microsoft.
    Retrogamer.. make a three criticisms about Nintendo. Go on, I dare you.

Well most people would agree about their controllers being great.

1. Their attitude towards europe is apalling. 6-12 month waits for games and consoles is ridiculous for a market that is bigger than japan.

2. GBA games are ridiculously price compared to the small teams, production times and not all that expensive cartridges to make them. Also they cost 30% in europe than in america.

3. Althought there are quality games on the Gamecube at the moment there is a severe drought of them. Haven't used my GC in 2 months cos i've beaten all my games for it.

However, just like mr. kipling, they do make exceedingly good games. And controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i have the ps2 for a very long time now and this year there has not one good game yet for me any way im dispointed with sony right now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

*cough* Disgaea *cough*

what good games then [cough# none]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by monument
    Small hands? :)

Yeah... :rolleyes:

I don't think having small hands is the only problem, the face buttons are poorly placed and cramped, the D-Pad is clunky and the sticks are better imbedded for your thumbs on the smaller model. Plus the Start and Back buttons are well out of the way, and that big fat Xbox logo on the controller looks really bad.

what are you saying the xbox logo on the controller is class work of art

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    it seemed to me that, that controller was made for goldeneye what a great controller it was

Domino layout...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ps2. Nuff said.

Have to say the best joypad for emulation was the mk1 sidewinder. The ability to hook 4 up through another port that was on the joypad itself was genius. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot when they not only got rid of this feature but also reduced the buttons from 10 to 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Good point. I'd forgotten about the US Saturn controller. That was a truly uncomfortable pad.

Needless to say I'll be picking up two of these in a few weeks time. I've got two PS Hori arcade sticks that I use for emulation but every convertor I've bought suffers from lag. Makes playing fighters, Bomb Jack and Joust impossible.

I had a 6 button controller for the MD made by Quickshot that was wonderful. If I saw one of these on ebay I'd jump at it in an instant.

qshot2.jpg

those anyone know about this controller which is used for the game steel battalion for the xbox this controller has 40 buttons
    http://xbox.ign.com/objects/481/481366.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The Steel Battalion/Tekki controller is crazy. I kind of wish I'd bought it now, even if the game isn't that hot. Much like the Samba De Amigo macaras the resale value is alot better than whatever the original retail price was.

man i would love to get it steel battalion game and controller man it be some fun

anyone out who has it be interested in selling it

Antone remember the pimps at sea controller.

Now I would have bought that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Antone remember the pimps at sea controller.

Now I would have bought that.
    aye. the boys in #pimpdaddy would be so envious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

1. Xbox L
    2. Gamecube
    3. Xbox S
    4. PS2

Although I won't be caught dead near an xbox with a controller S.
    It's just not natural.
    The original was the perfect fusion of man and machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

The original XBox controller would be my favourite, followed by the Gamecube, then Controller S, then the PS2 pad - which is rubbish, I hasten to add.

Actually - just noticing the last reply. I totally agree with this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Much prefer the original xobx controller over the small one, playing any game for any length of time on the small one gives me cramp of some kind or another but never with the large one. I always get sore thumbs with the PS2 ones !

Does anyone else get numb small fingers playing the original GBA for extended periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I find the Xbox Controller S the most comfortable to use, although I too don't like the location of the black and white buttons, the Gamecube controller is good too but I find that my hands can get sore and sweaty if using it for a long time, I think its the plastic they use.

I Also like the PS2 controller but not as much since I got the Controller S, I love the tactile feel of the rubber on the Controller S's stalks and the L-R buttons are great triggers and perfect for driving games for controlling the accelerator and brake accurately.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Does anyone else get numb small fingers playing the original GBA for extended periods?
    no, but I once got an A-button print on my thumb from playing Mario Kart!

I used to get arrow shaped blisters from the snes joypad from too much
    SF2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

i thawt the best pad ever was the n64 one. good for fps. good for fighting games. good for 3d platformers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

The Xbox Controller S is brilliant for fighting games...hell its the only pad with proper diagonals since the Saturn (I think?) which means its a lot easier on the old hands than the Dreamcast's controller. It's also great for FPS and games like Splinter Cell. Once you upgrade to the S you can never go back.

Overall though I'd go for the Gamecube controller since that stick is so perfectly smooth and flawless and I know it's not perfect for ports but the games that are designed with it in mind by Nintendo are always beautiful to control. Can you imagine trying to play Monkey Ball on the PS2's controller...ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I like ythem all. I only own a gamecube but i hate the d-pad on it. the fecker really hurts my thumb trying to pull off the moves in capcom vs snk 2. the analogue is amazing thouggh. as are the shoulder buttons. i dont really like the a,b, x,y positions ans the z trigger is awful. the x-box one was the stupidist thing id ever seen. luckily they redeemed themselves with the s-type one. the ps2 dpad is brilliant but i dont like the analogues at all. they move waaaaaaaayyyyy too easy. id say a tie between xbox and gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

yea! lol, I start to get pins and needles after a while
    Originally posted by rainbow kirby

I blistered my thumbs while playing SF2 on the SNES :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Do they still make the original xbox controller?
    I haven't seen it on sale in shops for a while

Advertisement