Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agm 2004

Options
  • 04-07-2004 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Please record my regrets. I'll be abroad.
    (BTW I'm not sure Athlone as a venue is likely to maximise attendance - just my 2 cents as, I'll be away on 17 July anyway)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I will take responsibility for the location as it was my idea. It looks as if problems with regard to Internet access are being slowly sorted out in the major cities. Of course there are still problems which need to be addressed but these pale in comparison to the smaller towns and rural areas. Therefore it seems no longer appropriate to continue having the AGM in Dublin. Athlone is fairly accessible from many parts of the country so this is the location for this years AGM. While some may argue for other locations, unfortunately there was not time this year to hold such a discussion. It is possible that only a small number will turn up and this may mean the closing down of the organisation. In this case I will have to take the blame as it was I who pushed for the Athlone location.

However I am optimistic and I believe that people will show sufficient commitment to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

But _athlone_? Gah :) Surely it should be of a higher priority to get people to come to an AGM rather than to make statements by having it in unusual places. In any case isn't Athlone one of the best served towns in ireland for broadband provision, it has a number of exchanges enabled aswell as a cable network iirc?

Anyhow.. I have a feeling there's a wedding I may have to attend on either that weekend or the one after.. I'll do my best to be there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone from Cork fancy a night on the piss in Athlone? Never been to Athlone. I'll drive if you chip in a few quid for juice.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

If anyone travelling to Athlone for the AGM needs any help with directions, places to stay, watering holes etc. Just tell me and I will help in any way I can. Crikey Adam tis a long way to Athlone from Cork but if you make it there will be a pint or two waiting for ya. :p

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I will take responsibility for the location as it was my idea. It looks as if problems with regard to Internet access are being slowly sorted out in the major cities. Of course there are still problems which need to be addressed but these pale in comparison to the smaller towns and rural areas.

Fair enough.

I see the point.

I wonder would it be worth promoting the event in other forums that might be particularly supportive of this reorintation in IOFFL strategy?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by OHP
    Crikey Adam tis a long way to Athlone from Cork but if you make it there will be a pint or two waiting for ya.
    Errah it's about the same as Dublin, and I've always preferred to drive there. I'll take you up on those pints if I can get someone to come with me. Wouldn't be bothered going up on me own.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Anyone from Cork fancy a night on the piss in Athlone?

Yes, and i'll be there, but the likelyhood is that it will be a stop off on my way from Dublin to Limerick, so I'm not much use to you !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

I'll be there on the 17th.

For me Athlone suits better than Dublin would.

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Yep me too....wouldn't mind putting a face to the name Viking and I would like to discuss a mutual contact "CM" :(

Besides closing down the organisation because of poor attendance would make me feel very guilty.

JWT

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Anyhow.. I have a feeling there's a wedding I may have to attend on either that weekend or the one after.. I'll do my best to be there though.
    Cool. Obviously family events have to come first but the more people that turn up the better. It should be an interesting meeting with plenty of diverse points of view represented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

My apologies,

An old friend of mine's stag night is Edinburgh that weekend,
    I won't be able to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭KinSlayer

Just looking at the website to see what time the meeting was on

When: Saturday, 17 July 2004 @ 02:30 IST - Saturday, 17 July 2004 @ 05:30 IST

2:30am - 5:30am?

tis a bit late/early in the day

Originally posted by KinSlayer
    2:30am - 5:30am?

tis a bit late/early in the day
    Fixed. Thanks.

Yellum called shotgun so if anyone from Cork or on the way wants a spot I'll be leaving Cork at about 10am on Saturday, and leaving Athlone sometime after lunch on Sunday.

First round's on me, assuming there aren't, like, a hundred people there. I'll bring FizzyGoodMakeFeelNice for the morning.

adam

Agenda:

1. Presentation by Christian Cooke: "Group Data Schemes and the Group Data Scheme Society"

2. Presentation by Paul Cunnane: "The First Group Data Scheme" - How a rural community crossed the digital divide created by the telcos.

Presentations to be followed by a short Q&A session.

3. Chairman's report

4. Q&A session + discussion

5. Election of the new committee.

6. Formalisation of the coming year's strategy.

Meeting ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

I'm away at a family wedding in England that weekend so I definitely won't make it.

Good luck with the AGM and please extend my appreciation to all the committee members who have worked so hard to keep IOFFL in business.

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Unfortunately I'm almost certainly going to miss it. I've a good mate's wedding on at the weekend and a person to deliver home afterwarsd and it'd be a neat trick to arrive at the meeting at all. It's a pity the two are on the same weekend as apart from the inevitable shop talk, it'd have been nice to see some old faces again.

Chairman <chairman@irelandoffline.org> wrote:

Dear Members,

Although I don't want to touch on matters that are more properly dealt with at the AGM, and though it is the attendees of the AGM that will be the arbiters of any decisions taken, I think it proper that you be notified in advance of my intention to propose a motion at the event that Ireland Offline disband.

While other commentators on the Irish Internet market for their own
    reasons would point to the reduction in price and increase in
    availability and take-up of broadband offers as an indication of the
    turnaround of the market after years of stagnation, an objective
    evaluation would make plain the fact that the country continues to
    languish in the doldrums by international standards, with EU accession countries outstripping Ireland in this area, and is likely to remain playing catch-up for some time to come.

In the context of the consistent, albeit voluntary, efforts of Ireland Offline over the last three years to address this situation, it is clear that this is not having an effect. Throughout the existence of the organisation we have pursued the strategy of focussing on individual issues that would drive the market forward in general, and while our part in the introduction of flat-rate Internet access services would be considered a success, our pursuit of the objectives of support for community networks and the availability of affordable backhaul, although adopted by the government, have been implemented with negligible consultation with us and in a manner inconsistent with our intent.

That the government and the department of communications have
    demonstrated progressively less interest in our opinion on measures to drive the Internet access market as it affects the residential and SME user would further call into question our legitimacy as the
    representative of these groups.

Given that, it is clear that there remains no further objective for the organisation to focus on that can be expected to have an effect on the availability of proper Internet access nationwide - our core remit - and that the only reasonable course of action should therefore be to disband, in the hope that the expansion and development of services offered by wireless providers, bringing true platform competition to the market, and the proliferation of community-owned, community-run networks, addressing rural needs, will succeed where we have failed.

Should the decision be made to disband the group, this mailing list
    will be deleted to prevent misuse.

I, for one, am no longer willing to act as a bulwark for where
    responsibility for our current situation ultimately lies: with the
    government and the department of communications, marine and natural
    resources. Neither, I believe, should Ireland Offline.

Regards,

Christian Cooke
    Chairman, Ireland Offline

If it is I have wasted a lot of time and effort trying to get people to attend this AGM and I need to know now if there is any point in them doing so. Although a lot of them have already seen this letter. :(

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

See this and this, OHP.

Thank you Moriarty.

I have read all the threads and I wont go into a big discussion here. But what I will do is offer anyone that is travelling by Bus or Rail to the AGM in Athlone a free Taxi from the station to the Royal Hotel. It is only a short distance anyway. Or if anyone wants directions to it, they can give me a ring ( I will give them my mobile number if they PM me or e-mail me before 12 Noon tomorrow).

OHP

• Advertisement

OHP,

Trying to PM/email you there, but boards says that you have chosen "not to receive private messages/emails".

I'll be travelling by bus to Athlone and I'd like to take you up on the taxi offer.

PM me if you see this.

Gareth

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Check your PM

JWT

Thanks JWT,

sent you one back.

PM sent to you Viking

My e-mail and PM should be working now. I will check back again at 1.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Well, I'm just back from the IOFFL 2004 AGM.

I'll be brief but there will be notes posted in the next day or so.

IrelandOffline lives!

It was a well attended afair in Athlone with an excellent report on the Group Data Schemes and the chairmans report was also most informative.

There is to be an extraordinary general meeting in September to allow time for discussion and debate about irelandOffline's future. It appears (for the moment) rumors of it's impending demise have been exaggerated !

In the interim as many of the committee stepped down at the AGM a brave group of individuals have agreed to take the helm until the EGM. Some old committee members will also stay on.

I have not posted any names on purpose until I get a definitive list back from the minute man.

Many thanks to Mike for organising the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

I was at the AGM myself, and thought it was a good event. It'll be interesting to see how the Group Data Schemes turn out. I personally can't see it working if it's non-commercial, but it's worth a shot.

It's great to hear IrelandOffline will continue. They are doing a great job at lobbying the government and are one of the major influences for getting not only flat-rate Internet but also funding for wireless networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just back from it. An interesting day to say the least. Will leave it to others to fill in on the news.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Poz3D
    I personally can't see it working if it's non-commercial, but it's worth a shot.
    Non-profit != non-commercial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Non-profit != non-commercial.
    I kind of figured they're the same thing. If you form a company and don't set out to make a profit, you're not doing a great job as a company :) Most non-profit organisations (such as charities) are set up because one or two people have a desire to carry out their job, but will the same apply to Group Data Schemes? Will you be able to create lots of wireless networks and spend a lot of work on them, for no pay? And if you do get paid, wouldn't that be considered profit making?

Advertisement