Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moped riders think they're on Motorbikes

Options
  • 22-06-2004 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Has anyone ever noticed the amount of moped riders who open the back pegs and put their feet on them, thus looking like the riding position on a real motor bike? Is this just for the look or is it more comfortable? Or do they think it gets them down lower to cut wind resistence so they can do 34 instead of 33mph. Also what about the dudes who take off from the lights and leave one leg straight for ages. I drove behind a dude like this once for about two miles till I turned off, I thought he had a bad leg or something till I saw him the next day doing it with the other leg instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

yes, they are hilarious, one of these days I'm gonna purchase a pick-up truck and fit a machine gun on the back to help eliminate these fools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

You can drive in the lane next to them at the same speed then slow down just a tinch and watch them crouch down as they think they are starting to out run you.

and then *BAM* you run over them in a fit of laughter

I was thinking more along the lines of, it starts to rain, I close the window, turn on the wipers and increase to the speed to about 45

my idea is way more progressive, plus you can use the moped engine as a hairdryer when you've removed the now dead skanger

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Recently some chavs decided to spend a good hour on a road near me trying to do wheelies in a moped. Needless to say, the laws of physics romped home...

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

hahaha , classic line on the laws of physics robbo ,

anyway i must confess i used to put my feet on the back pegs , luckily now on the newer moped it doesn;t have back pegs, but the foot skirting goes around the back so i will be using that instead (same riding position , just lower legs)

and to answer your question , nah i didn;t think i was on a real bike, it's purely a balance issue (well i can't vouch for everyone , but it is for me)

I find having my feet in front of me (the normal moped position) is grand for just going along the road, but if your turning etc then i put my feet on the back pegs , it feels so much safer and it's far easier to flick the bike over to turn ,

Fionn

I had a Gilera 125 years ago and I never had a problem turning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Originally posted by Robbo
    Recently some chavs decided to spend a good hour on a road near me trying to do wheelies in a moped. Needless to say, the laws of physics romped home...

Pulling wheelies on a 50cc moped is a piece of piss...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

feet forward position is the business.. I've got lovely highway pegs/boards on my bike, can't beat a bit of a stretch out when you're on the link roads. Ahh comfort. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by rymus
    feet forward position is the business.. I've got lovely highway pegs/boards on my bike, can't beat a bit of a stretch out when you're on the link roads. Ahh comfort. :D
    You'd think so, but I've found the dead straight, almost standing position on my new bike much more comfortable :)

ah well... two completely different styles of bike. I was tempted to get a BMW R1150GS before I got my Venture, purely for the ability to stand on the pegs :D

Went with the almost lying down position & the long distance comfort thing instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

hate this ugly things BMW R1150GS :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

what is it with guys on 50cc scoots?...a lot of them think theyre joey dunlop...the amount of times i've been at lights when some dude pulls up along beside me on his ovetto or katana or whatever.... STARTS REVVNG... LOOKING OVER AT ME

MY BIKE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS...IT GOES FASTER... GET OVER IT!!!!

Last year I had a dude on a red vespa with L plates indicate to move into the left hand lane which I was in. About 5 seconds after he indicated he just started to swing in on top of me and I had to accelerate a beep to avoid him running into me. At the next set of lights he started staring in throught the back of the car at me. I got out and he seemed abit intimidated, he proceeded to tell me he was indicating so that meant I had to nove out of his way as he was on a moped so I was obliged to give way to him. The idiot was only on the road two weeks. I told the spa to get a rules of the road book and that if he kept riding like that he wouldn't last long. Bleedin goon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Originally posted by giftgrub
    what is it with guys on 50cc scoots?...a lot of them think theyre joey dunlop...the amount of times i've been at lights when some dude pulls up along beside me on his ovetto or katana or whatever.... STARTS REVVNG... LOOKING OVER AT ME

MY BIKE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS...IT GOES FASTER... GET OVER IT!!!!

Yup I get that too - especially in the business park where I work there's always some eejit on a moped pulling up beside me revving and then pulls out in front of me when the lights change :mad: But I end up passing them by again due to the laws of physics and acceleration - 50cc < 125cc
    Once a guy flew by me through a red light(again leaving the business park) on a Habana...a few minutes down the road he was chatting to a motorcyle cop! :p:p
    A guy I know who has a moped told me he puts his feet on the back pegs to get better speed.....

well it's definatley not for speed (feet on the back pegs) , and i think having your feet on the back would cause greater wind resistance than having your legs tucked in behind the steering column.

Time man , neither of us have a problem turning then , i just find it more 'comforting' going through a turn with my legs on the back pegs , it just feels better and i reckon it's safer, but this is all down to personal preference .

I also drove a Virago cruiser for a few months but got rid of this fast cause i really didn't like the peg positions, a bit too far forward , gave the smallest amount of , how do i explain this , not centered properly , now don't get me wrong , this was my bike for the best part of a year and was no great bother to drive , but i just wasn't comfortable on it and it had to go for that reason.

and as for the moped poeple revving beside a proper bike, hilarious, i've seen it a few times , i'd consider it funny if someone on a ped was revving against an R1 or something but thats just dublin cheek
    , obviously they don't understand the laws of physics , muppets

picking my new ride up on sunday , whoot , or should that be weeerrrrrrrr

Take it easy

Fionn

Originally posted by tk123
    But I end up passing them by again due to the laws of physics and acceleration - 50cc < 125cc

I get that too sometimes.. Some of them just dont get that I can go faster on my 1300cc than they can on their 50cc... It is funny to see them wobble around behind me in the turbulence that my bike creates when I pass them :D

Actually it's very irritating when they drive right on the line, when they blatantly know that there are bigger, faster bikes behind them (say when they just break a light before it goes green, or arrive at the lights, just as it changes). I hate taking anyone on the inside, particlarly scareable, unpredictable mopeds, so I usually end up having to go onto the other side of the road to overtake them.

Little Bastards.

very interesting point there seamus about driving on the line etc,

always move in for a bike, they're going to go faster so let em , i see it as them leading the way , no problem,

also i'll point out that i drive right down the centre of the lane (not the road) on the moped to allow bikes to pass on the outside ( i know i'm in a minority here, once more 50cc<1200cc)

but what really gets my goat is when cars are right up your a$$ expecting me to pull in to the curb to let em by , not a chance mate , i'm not getting forced curbside so u can break the speedlimit (moped does 40mph which is the speedlimit in built areas)

i'll move towards the centre so they can undertake (if they want to risk getting pulled) but i always found if you go curbside the next car races up on you like they expect you to stay there also and before you know it your in a space of maybe 1.5 feet and no room to avoid potholes etc (i hope i'm explainging this properly)

so now i'm thinking that if i'm driving down the centre of the lane doing 40, well then balls to the rest of em , undertake , overtake on the other side I don't care, it's not safe for me to move , honk all you want etc etc

what are other peoples ideas on this ? i'm looking at it from my safety point of view , do you think this is bang out of line , what would you do ??? (remember it's a lot different being on a moped compared to a real loud big bike that cars know they can't muscle)

/me gets back into my car
    Fionn

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Fionn101
    always move in for a bike, they're going to go faster so let em , i see it as them leading the way , no problem,
    I'll always move in for a bike that's travelling faster than me, or if I have no intention of overtaking the vehicle in front.
    but what really gets my goat is when cars are right up your a$$ expecting me to pull in to the curb to let em by , not a chance mate , i'm not getting forced curbside so u can break the speedlimit (moped does 40mph which is the speedlimit in built areas)

i'll move towards the centre so they can undertake (if they want to risk getting pulled) but i always found if you go curbside the next car races up on you like they expect you to stay there also and before you know it your in a space of maybe 1.5 feet and no room to avoid potholes etc (i hope i'm explainging this properly)
    You're better off staying in front of them. Car drivers don't seem to realise that the 2 feet of road beside the kerb/path aren't suitable for driving on at over 20mph, particularly if you only have two wheels on the road. It's not an issue on my new bike, but on the Marauder which hit 50/55 tops, I'd be driving in the left-hand lane on the motorway, 1/3 of the way into the lane (as you're supposed to), and vehicles (normally mercs or jeeps) would overtake me without properly changing lanes, and with maybe 12-18 inches to spare. When you're travelling at 50mph, and they're travelling at 70mph+, it's a frightening experience. So I took to driving on the outside one-thirds of the left-hand lane, forcing them to change lanes if they wanted to overtake.
    The amount of them who would drive up my ass, expecting me to move over (in the left-hand lane ffs). I became smug when irritating them eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

They're called scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by rymus
    I get that too sometimes.. Some of them just dont get that I can go faster on my 1300cc than they can on their 50cc... It is funny to see them wobble around behind me in the turbulence that my bike creates when I pass them :D

After a head of steam is built up, certainly, but away from the lights a 50cc scooter will take a heavy Star any day of the week. Why these chimps want to prove that to you when you are doubtless already aware is anyone's guess though. Clowns. When you catch up to them, as you say, merely rumble by and watch the muppets swaying from the turbulence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i drive a scooter im cool:D
    aww wish i had the back pegs , NOT , guys on proper bikes drive up along side me at traffic lights pull up the visor and be like rev revf , i be jus sittin there like yea man i have a scooter wonder who`ll win here ?
    i mean jesus go race a proper bike dont ask me im just a gurl :D

the most embaressing thing about havin a scooter those is those f**n twats who drive around estates with the helmet like restin on top o there head if you get me and look like complete twats and then everyones like oh you own a scooter do you go around with the helmet on the top of your head? AH NO

Actually it's very irritating when they drive right on the line, when they blatantly know that there are bigger, faster bikes behind them (say when they just break a light before it goes green, or arrive at the lights, just as it changes). I hate taking anyone on the inside, particlarly scareable, unpredictable mopeds, so I usually end up having to go onto the other side of the road to overtake them.

so what really happens is:

You have the big bike and you are waiting for green light
    then from nowhere appears the GI Jo on his moped
    Light changes, moped gets ahead (as you think in your head I am not going to race any hair dryer )
    Then you think, yes I have faster bike and with quick throttle response you pass the guy, thinking EAT THIS!!

Really to proof that you r faster and more likely to be cut by next set of traffic lights, to see his half worn helmet again.
    :D

and on the end it doesn't make sense as he will be always there with you , specially in trafic hours .

So really let him buzz away :D;)

Originally posted by Gmodified
    and on the end it doesn't make sense as he will be always there with you , specially in trafic hours .

So really let him buzz away :D;)
    1. It's the principle of the thing :D We have to show him "Who's yo Daddy!"
    2. He's limited to 30mph. It's especially frustrating in 40mph zones.

ha ha. me giving speech about road manners. I could race my shadow sometimes .

I can't resist:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Originally posted by Fionn101
    very interesting point there seamus about driving on the line etc,

Fionn

My bro who drives a big 1000c told me when I was starting out on my ickle vespa that if anyone was every "driving up my ass" to wobble the bike so they would think they are going to make you fall..Now I've found since I got the VanVan that people give me even less space again (don't know why) so I do this every now and again - obviously I dont go mad and wobble all over the place but if you just wobble a little bit they back off..Or sometimes just slowly looking over your shoulder at them and looking forward again will put them off say if they are crowding you when the traffic is slow - if you are showing confidence then they wont try to mess you around...
    Some lovely female driver (sorry but I'm a girl biker and it's usually women who nearly skittle me and they wave to thank me??!??) once tried to overtake me from the inside so I gave out to her ;) we were turning down Richmond Rd which is v.bendy and bumpy - anyhoo she over took me to get me back - when i got around the corner she was up on the path on the opposite side just inches away from the wall she nearly slammed into!! :rolleyes:
    At the end of the day if someone is flying around the place let them overtake you Fionn cos eventually they're going to run out of luck...

yeah I reckon your right TK123 , same with drunk drivers , it's always better to let them pass and have them in front of you rather than behind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Last year I had a dude on a red vespa with L plates indicate to move into the left hand lane which I was in. About 5 seconds after he indicated he just started to swing in on top of me and I had to accelerate a beep to avoid him running into me. At the next set of lights he started staring in throught the back of the car at me. I got out and he seemed abit intimidated, he proceeded to tell me he was indicating so that meant I had to nove out of his way as he was on a moped so I was obliged to give way to him. The idiot was only on the road two weeks. I told the spa to get a rules of the road book and that if he kept riding like that he wouldn't last long.

Emmm this is what most motorists to do to cyclists. "Look at me I'm indicating get out of the lane I want to be in" "What do you mean I hit you??? You hit me I was indicating"

Advertisement