Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people hate cats?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I love cats, but hate dogs. No idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kalikat

I have both cats and dogs (2 of each!), and each have their virtues and vices. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. I completely adore them, wouldn't want to change any of them, and wouldn't be without a family member from both species.

I just hate people [/alan partridge]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Dogs shouldn't have been brought into this thread at all, they're irrelevant to the discussion.

AFAIK cats will never crap on grass if they can avoid it - they'll do it in muck and bury it.

Of course cats sometimes kill small animals, they're natural predators. It's what they're designed for. And they're certainly not the only popular pet that kills things.

And anyone who says a cat can't be affectionate has obviously never owned a cat.

I think some people don't like cats because they can't appreciate something that has its own will, personality and aloof intelligence. They want some loveable dope that will give them its full attention to take care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Originally posted by eth0_
    They're not selfish. I've had cats all my life and they've all been really sweet and friendly.

Have you ever even owned a cat?

I had a cat as a child. Yes, it was sweet and friendly, but it's motivation was purely out self interest: I gave it attention, I fed it. I equate cats with those false people that are lovely to each other in person and once that person leaves the room bitches about them. You all know the d4 spanners I'm talking about: they're the cats of the human world.

To state that cats are smarter than dogs is simply a biased opinion founded on nothing. It's quite similar to Douglas Adam's ironic ascertation that Dolphins are smarter than animals because all they do is play. Dogs are clearly the smarter animal, cats are just more self-serving. Maybe that's why I prefer Dogs, I value loyalty, intelligence and kindness in people and Dogs exhibit all of these qualities whilst cats simply do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Some people equate intelligence with obedience which is wrong.
    Just because a cat does not slavishly follow commands does NOT mean it is stupid.

Dogs come when they're called, cats take a message and decide if they'll get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Sleepy
    I had a cat as a child. Yes, it was sweet and friendly, but it's motivation was purely out self interest: I gave it attention, I fed it

I would say the same about dogs. Most of them are pretty stupid (again, obedience != intelligence) and wouldn't be able to fend for themselves if left alone, which is probably why they're so 'affectionate' (if you can call jumping up on people and leaving grubby, dirty paw marks all over their clothes 'affectionate' behaviour!)

Anyway, don't you think we've talked about dogs too long on this thread? It *is* about cats after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'm not really a big fan of cats, since the one cat we had when I was a kid was a mean little bastard who'd sooner scratch your eyes out than purr on your lap.
    Having said that, I don't hate them - I just wouldn't be bothered with one.
    Dogs are more fun anyway... you throw a tennis ball for a cat and it'll just give you a dirty look, where as dogs are hours of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Dolan84

Same reason everyone hates the English, they're ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

"Dolan", quit trolling. Stick to the topic at hand or go away.

Originally posted by Dolan84
    Same reason everyone hates the English, they're ignorant.

You are one classy guy, chief :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I have a dog and 4 cats and they are all great in their own ways like how the cat can now open a window if its left open even the smallest bit either way

CATS & DOGS RULE!!

END TRANSMISSION!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by eth0_
    I would say the same about dogs. Most of them are pretty stupid (again, obedience != intelligence)

And disobedience means intelligence? You know it's just possible that a cat doesn't have a damn clue what you're on about. At least by obeying a command, a dog has shown that he understands what you wanted. I a kitten once that I loved picking up and holding in my arms. It crapped on my tshirt. That's not entirely civil, is it?

Cats are too aloof for my liking. They have an attitude I really don't like. Sure, they'll appreciate a nice owner as much as a dog, but where the dog might openly show affection to me coming home by jumping on me and trying to lick my face, a cat would just radiate the impression of "Where the bloody hell have you been? I'm hungry!"

They're arrogant and irritating. I find dogs more down to earth and honest about things. Intelligence-wise, they're probably on a par with eachother.

Besides, cat claws bloody hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Dolan84

My comment was genuine, cats are ignorant or give off ignorant vibes.. Most dogs will treat any new comer as a friend where as most cats need to be fed on a daily basis to love a person! This is why most people dislike cats, in my opinion.

As for the remark about english, alot of people think english are ignorant.. it was somewhat of a joke.

I have a cat that treats everyone as her friend and it's the only thing I'd change about her. Anyone could take her and hurt her. She's far too trusting.

Btw your kitten crapping on your shirt may actually be because they have very little control over their excretion when they are young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by neev
    I have a cat that treats everyone as her friend and it's the only thing I'd change about her. Anyone could take her and hurt her. She's far too trusting.
    aye, my old cat was the same. he'd jump on anybodys lap and start nuzzling them:)
    RIP Fat Freddy:(

Lucy, one of my remaining 2 cats, is one of the most talkative cats i've ever seen. you just have to look at her and she'll start trying to have a chat with you.

Moloko is least upfront cat i've ever raised. he's a got a lovely personality once you get to know him. always following me around the garden and coming into my bedroom in the mornings :)

eh. i didn't actually have a point... i just miss my cats:(

Originally posted by tman

eh. i didn't actually have a point... i just miss my cats:(

:( My cat has to be euthanised tomorrow, she's 19 and has cancer in the roof of her mouth :(
    I'll miss her an enormous amount. She used to sleep in my bed, under the duvet at the side of my pillow like a little teddy bear :)

God I'm so sorry to hear that. Hey she's 19 that's damn old!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I love dogs.
    I hate cats.
    For me, the only fun with cats comes with a cavity block and a plastic bag.
    Why?
    My family had a golden lab for 15 years. She was bought as a puppy the year before I was born. She and I evidently bonded. (Example - when I was a baby, my mum would put me in my cot out the back on a sunny day. My dog would lie gaurd under the cot. She would only let my mother or my sister approach me. Not even my dad was allowed near!) She had internal bleeding and died of cancer when I was 14.

To the point... when she was dieing, she couldn't really move too much. She could just drag herself from the kitchen ot her kennel. I began to notice bad scratching on her nose. It got progressivly worse in a couple of weeks. At first I taught it was related to her sickness, but it wasn't.

I caught one of the neighbours cats in the back garden one day. She was taunting my beloved dog. She would move forward, scratch the dogs nose, and run back. My dog was defencless...

...untill I arrived.
    I saw red. The cat stopped taunting my dog.
    This is the cause of my deep routed hate for cats.

Cats paw at things sometimes to check they're safe.Maybe that's what they cat was doing. You can't hate all cats just because of that one. Do you hate all vets because your dog died of illness?

By the way, if you let your dog suffer so badly for so long, maybe you didn';t love her as much as you say you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Zulu
    This is the cause of my deep routed hate for cats.
    i honestly feel for you.

on the flipside, however. my parents were dogsitting 3 small dogs for a friend about 12 years ago. 3 dogs v 1 cat = dead cat.
    i've had a deep seated hatred for small yappy dogs ever since then.

big dogs are the coolest thing since sliced bread though. my own mongrel pooch is the maddest, most lovable dog ever:)

• Advertisement

By the way, if you let your dog suffer so badly for so long, maybe you didn';t love her as much as you say you did.

That's a very harsh thing to say. I can understand why he doesn't like cats after seeing something like that.
    My cat was diagnosed with cancer in march and the vet cauterised the tumour around St Patricks day time, but it started growing back and in the past month its come back and her left cheek is almost the size of a golf ball, and she can't open her left eye much.

Am I a bad person for waiting this long to ahve her put down? No. She could still eat up until about 2 days ago, and now she just sleeps most of the day til I come home from work and we go out for a little walk, but if shes not eating she's going to die a not very nice death.

A very harsh thing to say.

Cats paw at things sometimes to check they're safe.Maybe that's what they cat was doing. You can't hate all cats just because of that one. Do you hate all vets because your dog died of illness?

I'm not saying it's logical, but I am being honest.
    Maybe the cat was pawing my dog to see if it was safe. Frankly that dosen't sound to realistic, after all, wouldn't cat's generaly view bigger dogs as preditors? Either way - that buried the hatchet. I could tell you cats are smarmy. I could tell to the have a friendly personality, but frankly I don't care about all that (although it dosen't help convince me they're nice).

As for vets? they don't taunt and hurt animals - they try to help, relieve and save them! Why would I hate vets? What sort of logic is that?

Hating all cats because of one... yea... ok... I agree it's not logical, but I do. (any other cats I've "run into" since haven't impressed me enough to change my opinion)

Oh and bye-the-bye cats, for some demented reason, (or just nature being cruel to me) seem to love me.
    Me friend has loads of cats - some that have been abused and are very shy - they ALWAYS come over to me, even though I never want them near me. He reckons they never go near other strangers.

As for the comment about letting my dog live being cruel... :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I was 14 you ...........(I'm really biting my tounge here) %& £&*
    Do you honestly think it was my call?????
    My parents did have my dog put down in the end.
    How many 14 year olds do you know that can afford a vet. :rolleyes:

Well if Zulu's dog could only drag herself around she can't have been too happy.
    Yes a harsh thing to say but so is "I hate all cats because of this one cat".

Well if Zulu's dog could only drag herself around she can't have been too happy.

Childish - very childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

I hate cats, sorry about that but it's the way I feel.

My neighbour has about 6 cats and they are always in our garden, they **** in the flower beds, they jump on my car leaving paw prints all over the place, they've scratched the garden furniture in bits. Cats provide no useful function at least a dog can be trained.

I feel like getting an air rifle every time I see one of these vermin in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Lads, cool your jets. Take it to PM if you want a slagging match.

IMHO though neev that was a very insensitive thing to say.

Originally posted by koneko
    Lads, cool your jets. Take it to PM if you want a slagging match.

IMHO though neev that was a very insensitive thing to say.

My apologies, in my defence though - the comment was about the post though - not the person, I am after all just being honest and truthful in trying to answer the question she origionaly asked.

Again my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Battlesnake

It's dreadful that your cats were poisoned, that sort of thing is def not on.
    I think people dislike cats through a fear of the unknown. Cats are quite complex creatures to understand. With a dog you can usually tell within a few minutes whether or not it is liable to be agressive towards you or a complete softy. This can also be said for some cats but for the majority they can be quite mysterious. They generally stand back and figure you out first before approaching you.
    Cats and dogs are completely different kettles of fish and it is unfair to compare the two as their differences are so diverse.
    Personally I am a doggie person. I grew up with three of them around me (no brothers and sisters - first word was dogga!) I now have a dog of my own and probably will never have a cat.
    I think it is true that cats are very independent animals but also I believe that they can be very devoted to their owners.
    My cousins have six cats all with individual personalities and quirks.
    One thing can be said though, maybe people think that cats are evil not through any fault of their own. Only that they are not as obvious with their behaviour as say for example the dog who just charges on in there without a care.
    Cats are silent and graceful when moving. They think carefully before they do anything and are quite calculated. This kind of mastermind probably just freaks people out a bit. Also their claws and teeth are needle sharp and can be a bit off putting. I've known nasty cats and nasty dogs. Unfortunately I have to say more nasty cats than dogs, but then thats just my own personal experience.

Your comment towards Zulu was heartless, horrible and plain cruel.
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion, if he doesn't like cats then thats cool, why should it bother you so much?
    To say
    maybe you didn't love her as much as you say you did

is ridiculous. Of course he loved the dog. Might I point out that it is the vet who decides whether or not the animal's time is up - not the owner. The vet will not put an animal down if it is getting any quality of life, no matter how dismal that quality might seem to our human eyes.
    Cats paw at things sometimes to check they're safe. Maybe that's what that cat was doing.

If the cat was pawing to see if the dog was safe. Would not the 'intelligent' cat have remembered that 'oh yeah, that dogs cool. Swiped it before and it didn't do anything.' after pawing the dog a few times?
    A animal that continues to attack anything for a period of weeks is not doing it for any other reason that its own amusement. It may not have realised that it was hurting the dog, but it was obviously getting a reaction otherwise it would have stopped.

Maybe Zulu just finds it painful to be around cats because it reminds him of his beloved dog - not only the torment she suffered from the cat but the whole trauma of her illness and how it affected him and his family. Pain can be very hard to deal with and maybe he has just projected his anger about the whole thing onto disliking cats. It ain't so bad really it isn't like he wants to harm them, just stay out of their way.

Dog and cat owners stop quibbling about who is best! Be thankful that we have these wonderful pets in our lives to make us smile and lift our spirits when we're sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I like messing with cats ears.

Pity everyone in my family including me is allergic to them

Advertisement