Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Clamped today

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

btw whats the difference between being clamped and getting a parking fine/ticket? as in what do you do differantly for them to decide which to do or is it just pot luck as to whether a clamper or a traffic warden sees you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    btw whats the difference between being clamped and getting a parking fine/ticket? as in what do you do differantly for them to decide which to do or is it just pot luck as to whether a clamper or a traffic warden sees you?

AFAIK you get a ticket for parking where your not suppose to and you get clamped for parking where your suppose to but you don't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Originally posted by Saruman
    very happy at getting off work early and had a good day. That was shattered.

So you were planning on being even later back to the car ?

uuunnnlucky mate, you deserved it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

A parking ticked is WAY better.. for one thing you can drive off and pay at your leisure.. for another its only €19 so cheaper too :D

Oh i have a funny thought.. Say you get clamped... take the clamp off then take pictures of the clamp and hold it for ransom (in a funny way). send the pics via anonymous email to a news paper. then pass the clamp on to people like truck drivers or people who travel and get them to take pics with camera phones.. MMS them to you, upload them to the web and email them on. Pics taken from different parts of the country.. like some poeple do with Gnomes.. you know that Ad for vodafone :D I think that would be great :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 calculon

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    seriously, we need to put our collective hatred together and come up with a plan to rid this city of those fools. I like the clamp-the-clampers idea - anyone know what they could do about it from a legal point of view?

here here.

but seriously, on a similar note to the galway case, about 3/4 weeks ago I saw a keg-delivery truck clamped on georges st.(at sosume). big argument ensued between delivery guys and clampers, deliveryguys obviously hadnt a credit card on them, clampers wouldnt take cash, or listen to anything sensible. at this stage lunchtime traffic was picking up, cars had to drive into the oncoming lane to get by. tbh it was pretty funny, till t deliveryguy#1 says "but you have just blocked the whole road" (you all know georges st, right? one lane each way, v. narrow. imagine a huge articulated lorry taking up one whole lane)

then almost on cue, an ambulance siren blares out further(behind the truck) up the road, but the truck is clamped and going nowhere, the cars behind the truck are backed up and the whole road is basically jammed, it took the ambulance a good few minutes to get by. im sure every second counts to an ambulances journey.

all the while the clampers are standing there like erections in a convent, listening to no-one, two mins after the ambulance passes they just go, leaving a lump of a truck to block the road.

that really p1ssed me off. something needs to be done to make these guys accountable to someone. sorry for the rant. that is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

both of these have already been done,

the one about clamping your own car, some guy in london did it. he bought his own clamp and clamped his own car in the same spot everyday for 10 years or something. was in the sun a few years back. they copped on one day and afair he was charged with impersonating a clamper or something equally rediculous. could be that you need a licence to clamp,

as for removing the clamp again it was in teh sun a year or 2 ago. a guy did it by driving forward slightly so the clamp was at an angle. then jacking up his car, and deflating the spare and taking it and clamp off all in one go. then put on his spare and drove off. he still had his reg taken and got his fine. think they tried to sue him for stealing the clamp too as he hadent returned it. dont know how that worked out.

It was in the sun, it must be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stuff

but if the truck wasnt parked where its not supposed to be, there wouldnt have been a problem. Not taking cash is a good idea, if clampers were going round with hundreds of € in their pockets, they would be a target for robbery.

So why the hatred towards clampers? People seem to have a problem with two types of authority mainly. 1, gards who are on traffic duty and 1, clampers. Both of which sre upholding laws that most people break and disagree with. So in the same light, should burglers and car thieves be justified in hating gards?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Only got clamped once..

Was parked overnight in a clearway or some sh1t

Anyway when I came down in the morning my car was gone !! I of course thought that it was stolen and called the police.......who then informed me that the lads had towed it around the corner and then Clamped it....

They couldn’t be arsed to tow it to the depot so they just stuck it around the corner..

I am grateful to those guys coz the fines for releasing your car from the depot are a hell of a lot more expensive than it is to get a clamp taken off...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

were is the Angle Grinder Man when you need him here he is

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

they copped on one day and afair he was charged with impersonating a clamper or something equally rediculous. could be that you need a licence to clamp,

Charged with impersonating a clamper is bollocks. You can buy clamps in Halfords or any car accessory shop will order them for you for about 50 quid each. You'd need a special license to buy one if clampers were the only people allowed to use them.

http://www.ajmshopping.co.uk/more_details.asp?ItemCode=01061

Obviously you'd need to buy four to stop the f*ckers putting one on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by John R
    It was in the sun, it must be true.

thats really constructive. great contribution to the discussion:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

How about if you remove the clamp yourself by cutting through their lock and leaving the clamp on the road. Then purchase a new lock for about E5 and lock the clamp back up again leaving them the new key.

That way they couldnt sue for damaging their lock as a perfectly good lock remained with a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by eth0_
    duh, they're clampers, they'd be able to remove the clamp fairly quickly :OP
    I think you need a licence to operate as a clamper too, so you'd be breaking the law :P

If you walk up the grand canal in front of the Esat building, you'll almost always see really flash cars clamped there. I don't know if the clampers in that area have a 'flash b*stard' vendetta, or the flash b*stards think they can park where the hell they like.

As for the guy who was clamped, you were 20 mins over your time! What would the point be in having a grace period, you know what time your parking expires, why not get back to your car in time?

They always clamp the cars outside my gaff because I live in a posh area.

I just pay them with my platinum card and do one of those really snooty french laughs.

Actually I can't afford a car because of where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Saruman
    like some poeple do with Gnomes.. you know that Ad for vodafone :D
    (cough)
    That sub-plot thing in Amelie[1]. Don't be giving the marketing droids credit for something they didn't think of.

[1]and it may be older than that for all I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

clamp removal

http://www.autoinfozone.com/clamp2.html

the technique of letting air out and bending back looks good

i think a bar across the front face of the wheel openings bolted onto each side would be enought to clamp proof a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I got clamped a few weeks ago in the evening at 22.28. My ticket expired at 21.24, so I sort of knew I'd be clamped when I got back. Interestingly, when I was talking to the biddy who was unclamping me, he said they had a directive that after 7pm the grace period was 1 hour after the ticket expires before they can clamp (obviously this is only in areas where you need a ticket right up to midnight). Now he could have been talking through his arse, but he seemed fairly sure, and even went so far as to ask me for my parking ticket so that he could check it wasn't within one hour that I was clamped.

Or maybe he just told me all this so that I would spread the word on boards.ie and more people would be clamped cos they thought they had an hour's grace in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

thats really constructive. great contribution to the discussion:rolleyes:
    The same could be said for using the sun as a source of facts.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI247Y1998.html

The law in relation to clamps only refers to a release fee, not a fine. Although it is theoretically possible that if you removed the clamp they could subsequently give evidence to the gardai that you had parked illegally so a fine/summons would be issued. In that case the fine would be the same as any other parking ticket for the same infringement and not the clamp release fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

People do have a problem with clampers but there is a very good reason and thats simply they dont answer to anyone.. they uphold ONE law but they break others by as we have seen.. CAUSING traffic chaos, obstructing an emergency vehicle, preventing a kid with meningitis symptoms from being taken to hospital etc etc.. That is why they are hated. And the fact they go out of their way to the point of stake outs! Yes they will sit in their van or whatever and wait for someone to get out of their car and not pay.

I have an example or another problem. Today i went back to Eccles street to pick up something i left there.. i was going in for about 30 seconds. i could not park outside so i parked in a side street across from the hospital. Now here is the thing there is NO pay unit on either side of the road, you need to walk about 5 mins around the corner and across the road to the nearest one. I did not want to be clamped so when i found the unit, i was going to pay till i realised my destination was so close i would be quicker going there than crossinf the busy road. I tempted fate by running to the place getting my thing and rushing back. i was about 5 mins at most. anyway IF i had got the ticket, gone back to the car to display it and the clampers had clamped me and called it in in that time, they would NOT unclamp me.. i know this because once they call into the system they can not unclamp themselves without a call from base even though i have a ticket but its 5 mins away to get to the machine.

A garda you can talk to and explain things... i dont have much of a problem with them. The only time they piss me off is bus lanes. I dont drive in them but if i come up to a place where i want to turn in left but there is a load of traffic between me and the point where i can legally turn into the bus lane, if i go into the bus lane a few mtrs before they can do me.. happened once, it was actually only about 3 or 4 mtrs before it becomes a left hand turn and he did me for it. If i ran a red light or was speeding fine.. but in the space he took to pull me over, give me a ticket for doing nothing that could in any way harm anyone or even obstruct a bus, some one is dealing drugs, being shot or any nuber of serious crimes and he is wasting his time with me? Its not like i wsa driving in the bus lane, i stayed out of it all the way along the N4 till i got to the palmerstown turn off and then i go in a few mtrs before im supposed to an im done for it.. kick in the teeth.. I saw plenty of cars actually drive in the bus lane only to get away with it.

Bus lanes irritate me, in some places they are a cause of chaos.. Chapelizod for one.

Advertisement