Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utv still being blocked by tv3!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

By creating a UTV Eire feed they are effectively creating a new TV station for the Irish market. Unless they purchase the rights for the programming that they show in the NI franchise for the Irish market then there is going to be damn all on the UTV Eire feed apart from their adverts, local news and programming and, of course, Julian.

They have three options: Buy TV3, outbid TV3 or stay of Sky Digital in the RoI. As stated many times before, UTV don't own the rights to the majority of their content for the RoI. It is simply incorrect to say that TV3 are blocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Well if UTV don't own the rights for the RoI then how are they allowed to broadcast on cable?

Do you mean the satellite rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

I think he's talking about satelite rights.
    The sooner the E.U do something about this silly situation the better.
    Imagine the nonsense whereby 100's of thousands can watch utv programmes on cable and not sattelite.
    Whats the difference between the rights of cabled homes in the Republic of Ireland and satelite homes in the same country.
    It's just anti-competitive behaviour in it's worst form on the part of TV3.
    It's incorrect to say that they are not blocking UTV on satelite as they are not bringing NTL and chorus to court...
    Both those services are allowing a rival tv comany to TV3 to show programmes for which TV3 claims to have ROI rights, to customers/viewers in the Republic of Ireland via a rebroadcast system.
    Originally posted by BrianD
    They have three options: Buy TV3, outbid TV3 or stay of Sky Digital in the RoI. As stated many times before, UTV don't own the rights to the majority of their content for the RoI. It is simply incorrect to say that TV3 are blocking them.
    Lets try a fourth.
    TV3 close down as it is making a mockery of the licence it has by showing mostly foreign programming and virtually exclusively ITV programming without the icing.
    They should close really for lack of originality or learn from TG4.
    Sláinte

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Chicken or the egg, BrianD.

UTV was long, long on cable before TV3 was a twinkle in Ray Burke's eyes, and the uproar if it was removed now would be result to NTL and Chorus folding.

Ever since TV3 was took over by Granada, it was around the same time that ITV joined satellite. Granada used this technicality to block UTV appearing down here, as TV3 now shows all of Granada's ITV production.

Interesting 6 months ahead when/if ITV decide to go free to air....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

given that Granada and Carlton have merged to form ITV PLC, is it not ITV PLC that now owns 45% of TV3? And if so why are they still just showing Granada programming? Surely the full ITV stall(except Taggart!) should be available on TV3 now. I'm thinking specifically of the Frank Skinner show and Millionaire and stuff like that.

If ITV PLC were to takeover UTV PLC in the future which is a distinct possibility then that could have further implications for UTV's availability here on cable.

• Advertisement

I'm almost sure their assets are still independent of each other, like Carlton still own the ATV archive and Carry On films etc. I will verify this...

EDIT: No, I was wrong on this, yes TV3 is 45% owned by ITV plc. http://www.itvplc.com/itv/about/businesses/

The Bill, for instance, is not owned by ITV. They commission Fremantle/Thames to produce, but the rights stay with Thames. Neither is Millionaire, which is owned by Celador, and the Irish rights are held by Tyrone Productions, with RTÉ being the broadcaster with first divs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It is simply incorrect to say that TV3 are blocking them.

Absoulute and unadulterated rubbish, if TV3 withdrew their objection then UTV would be on sky digital tomorrow. Even guys in TV3 admit they are blocking UTV's arrival on sky.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PK - the king

TVDX - There is nothing stopping ITV going Free To Air!!! But if UTV goes Free To Air, so will all the other ITV's. All of the different branches of ITV purchase different programme rights and fixtures. Why would UTV want a Northern Irish person watching a programme from Thames Television when UTV also have to pay for these rights? It would really mean ITV being one network. Also, why would companies pay for "opt-out" advertising on many different itv channels, if, they are all free to air?

To me it's pretty simple - ITV cannot feasibly go free to air as it would be extremely complicated in terms of prog. rights & advertising. Maybe they will go free to air? Who knows! But as far as I can see, they won't.

And TV3 is blocking UTV from appearing on an EPG lineup in Eire. Noone else!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This thread is going around in circles:confused: and circles:confused:

Incorrect PK - I thought you would have understood the reasons by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Originally posted by PK - the king
    . Why would UTV want a Northern Irish person watching a programme from Thames Television when UTV also have to pay for these rights?

A Northern Irish person can watch all regions of ITV by simply adding them to "Other channels" and i never questioned who was blocking UTV's appearance on Sky Digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I can understand TV3 not wanting ITV/UTV broadcasting free to air, however as shareholder of TV3 I doubt ITV really care. They already control 90% of ITV1 ad revenue's, and free to air they'd be able to bump that up for ITV1 with Ireland (plus some gain in the North), plus the additional revenue from ITV2.

IMHO They'd be more concerned about UTV alone going on the EPG on Sky, rather than not wanting the whole of the ITV network going FTA.

I doubt the other shareholders of TV3 would feel the same however. I would think there's sod all TV3 could do to block the move if ITV wanted to go FTA, as without ITV programmes they have nothing.

This is why ITV can not (logically) go free to air:

1) Programming Rights: Carlton & Granada produce many of the television programmes that are aired on practically all of the ITV channels, programmes such as Coronation Street, The Bill, Hell's Kitchen etc. Each ITV station must pay ITV Central the programming rights to air these programmes. Why would ITV make any move to go free to air? That would mean that there would be no real financial benefits. For example, The Bill is aired at 8pm Wednesday's & Thursday's on UTV. Thames Television in London does not show the bill. Thames Television would therefore not be too happy about losing viewers to UTV, which would be free to receive anywhere in the Uk if it went FTA, and TTV advertisers wouldn't be too happy either; which brings me onto my next point.

2) Opt-out advertising: Unlike the BBC which is totally licence fee funded, ITV depends entirely on advertising for it's revenue funds. In the long run, the ITV network makes more money out of Opt-Out advertising (or regional advertising) than it would if it just had advertisements aired right the way across the UK. If ITV went free to air, it could mean viewers could pick 'n' mix between the different ITV stations and regional programming. This means that they may be receiving advertisements from other areas, which means advertisers are wasting their time paying for opt-outs when they're not being viewed. Also, ITV makes more money in the sense that if an advertiser does want their advertisement to be aired UK-wide, they have to pay each ITV regional station separately for the advertisement space. This way, ITV makes more money, as, if the advertisers were to pay just one amount to ITV, less money would be made.

3) Regional news: Allthough this does not apply too importantly, if ITV went free to air, how do you go about selecting your ITV region for all of your local programming? What if you only watch ITV free? What if you get the free to air install option, and therefore do not have a card (meaning your box will not know your postcode or region)? How do you select your region? You can't! There is no option to do so! Sky won't implement a menu (because why are they going to help ITV develop a free to air system, meaning sky lose out on million's of pounds a year worth of DVB VG encryption contracts? The only way to watch your own region is to tune it in in "Other Channels". And this also poses the question; which ITV region should be the "Standard" region for a brand new sky digibox?

4) ITV Sports Rights: Some sporting coverage lineup differs from station to station. ITV don't want a person in Ireland being able to tune into, say ITV Wales and watch a free football match, when TV3 or other station have to pay up for the rights in Ireland. This means a loss of revenue for the already loss ridden broadcaster.

5) TV3: Imagine TV3's reaction if UTV went Free to air? Why would there be any point in them shelling out millions of euro for programming rights when people just tune into UTV and get the programme in widescreen? TV3 could very easily boycott ITV networks, and Granada wouldn't want that!!!

So you see, the whole encryption issue here is mostly about securing separate programming rights for each ITV broadcaster region and making as much revenue as possible from "Opt-Out" advertising systems.

Now, TVDX & others, I hope this answers your query on ITV/Free to Air issue.

BrianD, I don't know where you are getting the idea that TV3 is NOT blocking UTV from the EPG In Ireland. I know it is, Tony knows it is, Sunday Times reports it, ITV says that is the reason - even TV3 itself admits that it is blocking ITV from appearing as an EPG channel number in Ireland, because it pays a huge amount of money for programming rights. Please read the article from the Times, kindly posted by "Andip", if you do not believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

For example, The Bill is aired at 8pm Wednesday's & Thursday's on UTV. Thames Television in London does not show the bill

Thames doesnt exist anymore. and London does get it's bi-weekly fix of The Bill

also viewers in the UK have been able to choose whatever region they wanted to watch since ITV went onto Sky

does it not? well, I'm sorry - I haven't been in London for quite some time, though!!!

However, when Thames did exist, as far as I know, The Bill was not shown in the evening and there were a good many other shows such as Neighbours/Holidays/Kitchens/Workmen from Hell etc.

Originally posted by TVDX
    A Northern Irish person can watch all regions of ITV by simply adding them to "Other channels"

I think some sky cards will allow the decryption of all ITV services, even though they are in "other channels".

Btw. This is my 200th post!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This is my 200th post!!! :D:D

/me tips his hat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

does it not? well, I'm sorry - I haven't been in London for quite some time, though!!!

However, when Thames did exist, as far as I know, The Bill was not shown in the evening and there were a good many other shows such as Neighbours/Holidays/Kitchens/Workmen from Hell etc.
    Yeah, there was a time when different regions got a dramatically different schedule. Mostly gone. These days the main differences are the regional news, the odd scheduling difference and of course the regional advertising. The BBC have the first two of the three and seem to cope with those two.

This is why ITV can not (logically) go free to air:

I cant believe this has gone virtually unchallenged. Everyone was probably waiting for me! I havent had the time, now I have. :D So here goes....

1) Programming Rights: Carlton & Granada produce many of the television programmes that are aired on practically all of the ITV channels, programmes such as Coronation Street, The Bill, Hell's Kitchen etc. Each ITV station must pay ITV Central the programming rights to air these programmes. Why would ITV make any move to go free to air? That would mean that there would be no real financial benefits. For example, The Bill is aired at 8pm Wednesday's & Thursday's on UTV. Thames Television in London does not show the bill. Thames Television would therefore not be too happy about losing viewers to UTV, which would be free to receive anywhere in the UK if it went FTA, and TTV advertisers wouldn't be too happy either; which brings me onto my next point.

Wrong. ITV's schedule is almost always identical now, not like 20 years ago when programmes were not networked at the same time. Only UTV has a major "prime-time opt-out" when it shows Kelly in Friday nights. Regional Programmes are show at Thursday 7:30pm and outside of peak times. So what you typed is a load of guff.

2) Opt-out advertising: Unlike the BBC which is totally licence fee funded, ITV depends entirely on advertising for it's revenue funds. In the long run, the ITV network makes more money out of Opt-Out advertising (or regional advertising) than it would if it just had advertisements aired right the way across the UK. If ITV went free to air, it could mean viewers could pick 'n' mix between the different ITV stations and regional programming. This means that they may be receiving advertisements from other areas, which means advertisers are wasting their time paying for opt-outs when they're not being viewed. Also, ITV makes more money in the sense that if an advertiser does want their advertisement to be aired UK-wide, they have to pay each ITV regional station separately for the advertisement space. This way, ITV makes more money, as, if the advertisers were to pay just one amount to ITV, less money would be made.

ITV buys the advertising for each other region, in fact, SMG and UTV get ITV to buy the national advertising for their region. One point about the merger of Carlton and Granada was what to do with the two sales houses that each company had. It was seen from Sky and Channels 4 and 5 that they controlled too much, and that it would be fair to have that level of competition. But, the (then) ITC decided that that was the only reason for the merger, so it went ahead and now there will be one national sales team for the entire ITV network.

3) Regional news: Allthough this does not apply too importantly, if ITV went free to air, how do you go about selecting your ITV region for all of your local programming? What if you only watch ITV free? What if you get the free to air install option, and therefore do not have a card (meaning your box will not know your postcode or region)? How do you select your region? You can't! There is no option to do so! Sky won't implement a menu (because why are they going to help ITV develop a free to air system, meaning sky lose out on million's of pounds a year worth of DVB VG encryption contracts? The only way to watch your own region is to tune it in in "Other Channels". And this also poses the question; which ITV region should be the "Standard" region for a brand new sky digibox?

As I mentioned before, do like the BBC did, they got a deal with Sky to get the right region on 101 and 102, and the rest of them down the 940's. ITV would utilise that.
    Unlike a Sky Digibox, other FTA recievers can be programmed to the way you want. You could have the GOD Channel on 666! There is talk of the BBC having a branded FTA setup, like Freeview for DTT, and as sure as eggs are eggs, they would want the EPG lineup to have the 4 terrestrial networks for your region at the top of it. But over 95% of all satellite receivers in the UK are Sky Digiboxes, so it won't matter that much.

4) ITV Sports Rights: Some sporting coverage lineup differs from station to station. ITV don't want a person in Ireland being able to tune into, say ITV Wales and watch a free football match, when TV3 or other station have to pay up for the rights in Ireland. This means a loss of revenue for the already loss ridden broadcaster.

Not an issue, as ITV have moved away from regional sports rights (except Scotland where Scotsport is still on the air on Sunday afternoons, albeit with club rugby and the choice of Scottish Division 1 soccer) Also, during most Sundays during winter, the same branded "Soccer Sunday" is show right through England and Wales, with emphasis on local teams (ie what was Anglia on Norwich and what was HTV West now "ITV West of England" showing Swindon.) As ITV own the national rights to highlights of the Football League, this is a good way of getting what the viewer wants.

In years gone by, the Rose's cricket championship game was shown on only Granada and Yorkshire, that wont happen again.

Lets set one thing straight, ITV is not a poor outfit, they were able to write off ITV Digital with debts of over £1bn stg, and did such a job that it did not hit their coffers!!

5) TV3: Imagine TV3's reaction if UTV went Free to air? Why would there be any point in them shelling out millions of euro for programming rights when people just tune into UTV and get the programme in widescreen? TV3 could very easily boycott ITV networks, and Granada wouldn't want that!!!

TV3 dont pay that much for rights, they have a benelovant owner!

So you see, the whole encryption issue here is mostly about securing separate programming rights for each ITV broadcaster region and making as much revenue as possible from "Opt-Out" advertising systems.

Now, TVDX & others, I hope this answers your query on ITV/Free to Air issue.

20 years ago, maybe. Not now. ITV is not the animal that had Thames Television make its last broadcast to London in 1992. Its no longer a federation of 16 contractors, its a huge broadcaster. There is NO money to be made for making local regions pay the other regions for their programming, they are one of the same. Only UTV, Channel and SMG in Scotland make this arrangement still exist, as they are outside of ITV plc. All they have to do is pay a rate to get access to those programmes, for the size of their market. Its not a two-way street, like when was the last ITV networked broadcast by UTV or Channel?

And so we return to the topic. UTV is blocked on satellite because? Yes, that's right, they don't pay for RoI rights to ITV programmes. The reason why they are still on cable and MMDS is because of when they asked the other companies back in the 80's to do this, there was no hint of a TV3, let alone Granada owning it or ITV becoming the huge monolith that it is.

Now, if you don't mind....
    wag.gif

Yes DMC, but you see UTV won't/can't buy the rights for programmes in Ireland, because TV3 have them. Granada don't want to "give" them to UTV because then TV3 won't buy them!!! And if UTV went off cable/MMDS tomorrow morning, then they might as well shut down ntl & chorus - after all the whole idea that cable took off in Ireland was because it allowed the cheap and easy distribution and relay of UK terrestrial stations.

So it is tv3 to blame really. I also saw an interesting article in the Sunday Times Business section today, that makes a huge suggestion UTV might... wait for it... buy out TV3. Tbh, if TV3 went tomorrow morning, I wouldn't really miss it...

• Advertisement

BrianD, I don't know where you are getting the idea that TV3 is NOT blocking UTV from the EPG In Ireland. I know it is, Tony knows it is, Sunday Times reports it, ITV says that is the reason - even TV3 itself admits that it is blocking ITV from appearing as an EPG channel number in Ireland, because it pays a huge amount of money for programming rights.

The only issue that is blocking UTV appearing on Irish EPG is that they don't own the broadcasting rights to large sections of the programming for the RoI. Asking TV3 to cede their rights WHICH THEY HAVE PAID FOR is nothing short of RIDICULOUS. Therefore, TV3 are not blocking UTV in the RoI.

PK - what bit do you not understand???

Asking TV3 to cede their rights WHICH THEY HAVE PAID FOR is nothing short of RIDICULOUS. Therefore, TV3 are not blocking UTV in the RoI.
    Why don't they bring NTL and Chorus to court then?

Firstly, I doubt if all those who negotiate TV rights have you, the TV viewer, on top of their list of priorities. Money is the no. 1 priority.

There is a key difference between the cable/MMDS and Digital Satellite platforms - some of which has evolved over time and some of it unique to Ireland.

CATV/MMDS services will argue that they are 'relay' services and relay TV services that can be picked up from their masthead. Hence they have always shown the UK terrestrial services claiming that they can be received at the masthead. Adding non-terrestrial services such as Sky or MTV requires negotiation between the CATV co and the TV co.

In many ways the 'rules' that govern CATV have evolved over the years. Digital Satellite is a relatively new distribution platform and I assume that tv rights providers are better able to negotiate and regulate and regionalise content rights.

The other side of the coin is that UTV would have to pay more for the programmes that have rights for. At the moment, they are only paying to show a programme to the one million people (approx) that live in the Northern Ireland. If they would to show it to an all-Ireland audience there would have to be a corresponding increase in the price paid for the TV rights. It would be unfair to allow UTV on a platform when they are paying less than TV3 for the same programmes.

Granada, or rather ITV, own a large chunk of TV3, so at the moment it is in ITV's interest to block UTV going FTA or on the Sky EPG. However, IMO that wouldn't be that big an issue to ITV if the whole network went FTA. I wouldn't be at all suprised if TV3 gets brought out and become's ITV Ireland, given the amount of content it buys from ITV anyway. The whole Irish market is much smaller than, say the Granada region, let alone the whole ITV company these days.

The only sports rights issue I can think of is Formula 1, and the GAA, in ITV going FTA. I'd say RTE pay sod all for the Formula 1 (well you certainly couldn't compare the coverage on the two stations), and the GAA could be blocked, as it is on RTE anyway. Match of the Day is the other big one, and that's gone back to the BBC anyway. Champions League is already on Sky as it is broadcast into Ireland.

Maybe wishful thinking, but we'll know the answer in September anyway...

It would be unfair to allow UTV on a platform when they are paying less than TV3 for the same programmes.
    I see.
    Is it not unfair competition then when one programme provider insists on this regionalisation when it is to their advantage but doesn't when it isnt.
    They would have a case in court to have the discrepency between the satellite regionalisation of rights and the non regionalisation with cable and terrestrial overturned.
    Of course brining that in front of a judge might mean that the rights holders would review the situation and that review might not be to TV3's advantage ;)

Having said that ultimately it is now ITV plc that has the final say in this.
    Imagine a situation where Eircom were able to claim exclusive rights to broadband in the Republic and they objected to ESAT BT or UTV clicksilver coming in.
    The UTV conundrum is a symtom of the lack of regulation in the TV area.
    Such a lack of competition breeds restrictive practices one of which TV3 is taking advantage of...
    namely
    • 300,000 plus Republic of Ireland homes receiving UTV for which UTV receive a fee from the cable companies.
    • 300,000 plus homes in the same Republic who receive their TV via satellite being treated differently for the purposes of extracting more profit for programmes.

Actually in the case of the former, theres a very good case for a class action by Sky subscribers in the Republic against the rights holders and TV3.
    That from my knowledge in the area could more like result in an equalling of status through allowing UTV onto Sky for a fee rather than a closedown of UTV on the cable companies.
    I fully expect ITV to go FTA later in the year anyhow as the BBc experiment has been so sucessfull.
    I wonder what TV3 will do if ITV go FTA...cry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It would be unfair to allow UTV on a platform when they are paying less than TV3 for the same programmes.

how do you know they are paying less?

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Earthman, I disagree with everything you say and much of it is incorrect.

Is it not unfair competition then when one programme provider insists on this regionalisation when it is to their advantage but doesn't when it isnt.

Who are you referring to? TV3 have purchased the programme rights for the Republic of Ireland and UTV haven't. If UTV want to "play" in the RoI they need to bid for those rights. At th moment both Tv3 and UTV have monopolies on certain programmes within their franchise areas.

I can see no similarity between the example you give of broadband and the situation regarding the Tv3/Utv. None whatsoever! Broadband is a means of transmitting data similar to the way that DSAT and CATV distribute tv signals. There's nothing to stop you setting up your own opposition to Sky Digital or NTL in the morning. Going back to the broadband example, you could in theory have content that was only available to eircom or BT subscribers and this can be regionalised. Setanta.tv for example was offering cricket coverage via broadband and this was only available to subscribers outside of UK/Ireland and the situation was policed by IP and credit card addresses.

I can see no grounds for a class action case against the TV rights holders as ultimately they are allowed to sell on a geographic basis. Sky Digital is merely a distribution platform and a relatively new one at that (compared with cable). The TV rights holders have learned from the development of CATV and are better able to control what goes on this particular platform. There is no grounds to claim discrimination. You can still switch to an alternativel distribution platform e.g. cable if it is available in your area. If not, tough luck.

Ultimately as analogue TV disappears and digital distribution takes over I would imagine that the likes of NTL and Chorus will find it difficult to continue to relay the UK terrestrial stations as overspill will be limited. I speculate that in the future you may see some of these stations disappear of CATV unless the individual stations acquire the rights to show its programme schedule in other territories.

At the end of the day it appears that it is the rights holders who hold all the cards. If UTV or TV3 have to bid a high price to show a particular programme than I can't blame them for protecting those rights. I am unsure if TV3 is on Sky Digital in Northern Ireland. I doubt that it is nor would TV3 be too happy if it was.
    The UTV conundrum is a symtom of the lack of regulation in the TV area.

Fair point - especially as they are unregulated in the RoI as are Sky Digital. This situation does not benefit the consumer.

Tony, population of the TV franchise area is used to calculate how much they pay for the rights. I doubt if UTV would want to pay any more than to have to. When they negotiate for rights it would be on the basis of their ITV franchise. Now it is possible that TV3 could have driven a better deal.

But ITV (Granada and Carlton) control the vast vast majority of the ITV network. In terms of the whole British Isles, the amount they don't control is tiny. They even own nearly half of TV3 FFS. They also control the majority of the programming that UTV and TV3 run. It's ITV that hold all the cards - talk of TV3 doing this, UTV not wanting that is pointless. ITV is big enough to do whatever it thinks is in it's best interests.

Who are you referring to?
    I'm referring to both TV3 and the rights holders.
    RTÉ have bought rights to programmes for the Republic which the BBC also show free to viewers with digiboxes without cards in the ROI...
    So the rights holders have double standards already or rather TV3 are forcing them to have double standards by forcing them to insist that UTV does not appear on Sky while TV3 hold ROI rights.
    At th moment both Tv3 and UTV have monopolies on certain programmes within their franchise areas.
    No thats technically incorrect.
    Tv3 is receivable via aerial and amp free to air over a vast proportion of NI.
    The vast majority can receive it.
    Have a look at the chimneys across the North, the vast majority have two, while in the "south" only the East coast,the Midlands and areas bordering NI can do that.
    It's entirely impossible in Munster ( unless you have 100ft of ironmongery and watty to help out ;) )
    So the vast bulk of the Republic by contrast either have to pay cable/mmds fees for UTV or they don't have it all if they have Sky( unless they have a FTV card )
    Aerial reception of UTV is not widespread in the Republic.
    Therefore I contend that UTV's situation is an anomoly...exacerbated by conditions which favour TV3 and thats the unfairness of the competition.
    I can see no grounds for a class action case against the TV rights holders as ultimately they are allowed to sell on a geographic basis.
    I'd have to disagree with you there as without the cable companies retransmitting UTV on their systems, and it is a re-transmission , NTL and chorus customers who also form part of the Republics geographical area ( and are included in the numbers to calculate TV3's charge for the programmes ) would not have UTV.
    So why don't TV3 appeal to the E.U commission to have their rates reduced as the cable viewers should be excluded due to the commonality of viewers?
    As I contended earlier, it's because the outcome of such a review would overturn their current favourable position and rebalance the market more competitively.

TV3 essentially opperate in a protected market which RTÉ do not in the sense that it hasn't blocked the BBC's decision to go FTV on satelite.
    Ok RTÉ have the licence fee, but if we go into the whole argument of who produces quality Irish programmes and who does not, TV3 would come out of that one very bruised.
    At the end of the day it appears that it is the rights holders who hold all the cards. If UTV or TV3 have to bid a high price to show a particular programme than I can't blame them for protecting those rights.
    Again I have to tell you that, that is not the case, because RTÉ did not object to the BBC being freely available on Dsat in the ROI yet they show a lot of common programmes.
    That situation actually underlines the contention that it is TV3 that is Blocking UTV on Dsat, the rights holders are only a convenient tool in the blockage.
    Why can't TV3 embrace the competition like RTÉ have??

• Advertisement

Still don't agree!

The fact of the matter is that neither UTV or TV3 can include viewers outside of their franchise areas when selling their stations to advertisers. Though I am sure both have ways and means of doing so. TV3/UTV will never includes "non-franchise" audiences when negotiating for the rights for particular programmes.

In an official sense both have monopolies on particular programmes in their franchise areas. The nature of radio/tv broadcasting is that you will always have overspill to some extent or other.

South Coast TV seem to have no problem "deflecting" ITV signals in Munster for many years. I gather it was HTV that deflectors in the south were rebroadcasting rather than UTV. Unfortunately, for Dsat subscribers it would appear that the TV rights holders have learned from CATV experiences and development and seem to have copperfastened the rights and geographical distribution of programmes with satellite. This is something that digital technology allows that traditional analogue broadcasting and CATV hasn't in the past. I predict that there will be tightening up in the CATV area as analogue broadcasting is phased out.

RTE hasn't blocked BBC's FTA decision for a very simple reason. RTE is a public service broadcaster as is the bbc. Yes RTE takes advertising and while it may lose audience share to BBC it will never lose and a cent of advertising revenue. Hence, you won't hear too many complaints about the BBC from Montrose. On the other hand both TV3 and UTV are commercial broadcasters and they are competing for a slice of the advertising market. If TV3 lose audience to UTV they will also lose advertising revenue. It all comes down to money.

In reality, UTV probably have more favouring them in the Republic than they would like us to believe - widespread distribution without having to buy the programme rights for that audience and completely free from regulation. At the same time there "home" territory is completely protected from competition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement