Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish superhero???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Shouldn't there be leprechaun villain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by superfly
    i dont think Slaine was Irish i think he was more Celtic and later banished to Ireland

You could argue he was both. In Slainé the King he unites the 4 tribes and leads them to found Ireland from Tir Na Nog after the Flood.

Definately counts as a super hero in my book - he was a double hard bastard.

Originally posted by Victor
    Shouldn't there be leprechaun villain?

How about the evil leprechaun from the Simpsons? 'We stow away in the wheel wells of Aerlingus Jumbo Jets dont ye know?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Originally posted by monkeymagic
    Black Tom is strangely enough Scottish... don't think Marvel ever explained why...
    He just lives in Scotland but hes from Ireland There family home is in Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

right
    bare with me....

they were a group of elements...magic...type superhero group
    formed by an earth spirit after several immortal mystics were wiped out just before they should have taken up the mantle

tornado was the wind spirit - and they twisted his character so that the shell was hollow - no robot, no man.....just wind,
    there was a gollum - who wanted to be known as paul
    there was a teleporting girl
    a hongkong dragon claw guy
    and a few others

and Liam...who was the Jack 'O' Lantern (or sum'tin similar)
    (no I'm not making this up) and he was originally from around Crossmaglen, and had a ...big pumpkin head lantern thing - flight, blasts, magicky stuff....(no I'm not making this up) and he had a bag over his head as a mask (no I'm not making this up) and spoke in an irish lilting brog that came straight from darby o gill and the little people (no I'm not making this up)

It was DC....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Are you sure you're not making it up?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I think hes making it up :)

<edit which just goes to show I know far less than I thought I knew about DC

Look here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

PRIMAL FORCE!!!!

Yep, thats what they were called!
    i think
    and there was the bit where the teleporter girl introduces the Liam to her sister and the sister goes - "OOH I love the accent, where did you get him from"

yep
    and his outfit was really tattered
    and he saved a bunch of school kids

pf0.gif

he's the one with the sack on his head see?

heres the page http://www.dcuguide.com/PF/Title_Index.htm

says he's Jack O'Lantern III, so it does now

From Primal Force #14 :

Villains: Satanus, Tornado Tyrant (absorbed by the Red Tornado); Cataclysm, the Cult of Cataclysm; Neron (behind the scenes); The Wisp (first appearance; an Irish terrorist)

Gotta love that typecasting

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Slaine was one of my fav's from 2000ad - especially the Horned God series with Simon Bisley doing the paintwork - fecking unreal. Brilliant stories aswell.

http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=reprint&page=gnprofiles&choice=horned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Sláine was great, especially when he went into 'berserk' mode :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tylerdurden

Bisley seemed like a godsend at first, but you can't beat Glenn Fabry's Sláine really at the end of the day...

I seem to remember meeting Mills and Fabry at a signing where they'd had too much beer and they were insinuating that Bisley only wanted to draw battles and naked chicks and so the stories suffered as he lashed lazily through "the boring stuff"

I loved Fabry's more human approach to the characters.

Horned God was the best sláine ever - epic in scope , before that it was good, but a bit derivative - Conan Lite if you will.

His warp spasms were class tho.... And Ukko was an evil little bugger and great comic relief, that and rogue trooper were probably my favourite comic strips ever. Shame 2000AD went downhill when it went colour - except for perhaps Sláine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tylerdurden

but imagine if Fabry at his best had illustrated the Horned God...

Zenith was another great 2000ad strip. And a Superhero too. But not Irish. And a beautiful example of what can be achieved without the use of colour!

Advertisement