Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eddie1690

try drewstown then just outside kells contacts on archery.ie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Hi folks,
    I'm half interested in having a go at archery and know there is a club (Summerhill) not too far from me. However, on the archery.ie contact page for them there are no contact details!

There are names ok, but no email, phone etc.
    Apart from turning up outside their gates in the hope they're open, how do you contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 corneliust

Does anyone know where i can get 30 inch fibreglass arrows for a juvenile compound bow in westport/castlebar area arrows cost €5 each in westport shop i got bow in. I want to get more but i dont want to pay €5 a piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

corneliust wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i can get 30 inch fibreglass arrows for a juvenile compound bow in westport/castlebar area arrows cost €5 each in westport shop i got bow in. I want to get more but i dont want to pay €5 a piece

To be honest that is a good price, you more than likely wont get arrows much cheaper than that. Or if so it will be may be €1-€1.50 cheaper only.

found some online for €3.3 each + postage

• Advertisement

found some online for €3.3 each + postage

If €1.70 really means that much to you, thats a good price! :D

i made a deal with fella in westport got 10 arrows for €4 each got him down from €5

i made a deal with fella in westport got 10 arrows for €4 each got him down from €5

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Are there any decent bricks and mortar archery shops in the country (preferably east)?

Looking into getting some decent entry level kit but don't really know where to start with the online suppliers' options, so would really prefer to talk through my purchase with a physical person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Private Ryan

ASI - Archery Shop Ireland is located in Vallymount Co Wicklow.
    The details can be found on http://www.archeryshop.ie.

Keith and David are very experienced and I'm sure they'll be able to talk you through what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Nadaur

A few months ago I decided I really needed to get a hobby, I was simply dying with the time I had on hand all of a whack and needed to learn something new. I've friends in England who are both seriously competitive archers, (county champions...top 20 type stuff) and they brought me along in April and gave me a go at Archery (was with an American Widebow).........

Right, I decided this was worth having a bash at...so I emailed EVERY club in Dublin and as far north as...well..the North...to see when and if any beginners courses were running, I phoned any that had contact numbers online..........nobody was running a course until the Autumn, (well the ones that bothered to reply anyway). I was crestfallen.

Then I get a call back from a chap in the Sportlink Archery Club in Santry.....they'll give me a course..on Monday evenings while they're shooting anyway.

For the next 10 weeks I had 1:1 tutoring from past and current members of the Irish Squad, they lent me Recurve kit to practice with, swopped bits of kit when it didn't suit, indulged my complete and utter ignorance, had a good laugh when I hit a tree or missed spectacularly, generally ripped the p@ss. To cut a long story short...all the members there, not just the officers (or whatever the nomenclature is) couldn't have been more welcoming, helpful, thorough and diligent.I'd recommend it and them to anyone interested in giving it a go.

I finished the course, and they found me a great Bow and kit (for ebay money rather than have me buy crap that wouldn't suit),I'm shooting 50m now and really enjoy the sport.....I think Ive found my hobby.

So if you can't stand golf like me, or just want to give something different a go you could do worse than give archery a lash...it has this weird combination of delicacy, patience and violence...and ya get a bit of a walk!

Well thats my little spiel over.....if anyone would like to come along for a look where I go...drop me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Welcome to the Sport Nadaur!

Beware, once the honeymoon period is over the addiction sets in ........ hard to control sometimes! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Nadaur

Panserborn wrote: »
    Welcome to the Sport Nadaur!

Beware, once the honeymood period is over the addiction sets in ........ hard to control sometimes! :p

already well and truely hooked.......:mad::):eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What's the story with UL archery can anyone join? Live in Ennis and would be interested in learning archery (just watched the Weather man - I'm very compulsive!)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

buck65 wrote: »
    What's the story with UL archery can anyone join? Live in Ennis and would be interested in learning archery (just watched the Weather man - I'm very compulsive!)

Hi, yes, anyone can join UL Archery as long as you are over 18 years of age. We are starting a beginners course tonight which will run for the next 5 weeks. Email the club at ularchery(at)gmail(dot)com to get all the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I just joined the archery club in my college and shot for the first time yesterday. It was great. Id love to find a club near me but I went on the archery site and there doesnt seem to be any.

Does anyone know of any clubs in offaly??

Hmm. not so sure there is a target club in Offaly. There might be a field club near there though. Have a look at http://www.irishfieldarchery.com/index.html, might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Thanks. I was wondering if you could help recommend a beginner bow. Im not really sure what Im looking for. I just want to start with something lightweight because I wouldnt have the strongest arms!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

That's a big question and really only you can answer it. You've joined a club, they've probably bows you can use for long enough to get an idea for yourself of what's available (ask to look at other peoples bows and what they'd recommend) and what you'd like that's in your price range.
    You'll need help to decide your best bow size, limb strength, compatible arrows (type,length,spine) and to choose plungers/longrods/sights/slings/tabs/quivers.

You could start with a KAP Prostyle. They use their own type of limbs and riser and limbs are usually cheaper than ILF stuff.
    After that there's the entry level ILF stuff, some of which may not be too much more than the Prostyle-type kit. Agulla/Winstar/Mizar/Axiom/Privilege.
    Then there's the second hand stuff. Probably a little more for your money but a little older. An old Gold Medalist would be cheap,available and got to Olympics.

Try Quicks or Alternative Services to window shop but my advice............keep your hands in your pockets.........use the club gear- for a while and absorb as much info and experience as possible while you build up BACK strength. Good form is more important than good kit at the moment and that's where your emphasis should be.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Good advice from Greysides.

One extra thing I'd throw in is not to be tempted to "overbow", meaning don't buy limbs that are too strong. If you pull a club bow and feel that its fairly strong, but pullable, remember that in a standard competition you will be pulling that bow at least 66 times in about an hour - it adds up believe me.

If you try all the bows in a club and come to the conclusion that you are at the stage that you need your own, I'd recommend a fairly decent ILS riser (this is a riser that will take limbs of many manufactures so is easily upgradable), and then with this riser buy cheap and weak limbs. Reasoning is that the riser will remain with you as you progress, but the limbs will be ditched and changed out for stronger ones fairly frequently as you grow in the sport.

So, I reckon, decent ILS riser + cheap low range limbs.

Any of the ILS risers Greysides mentioned are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

interested in doing a beginners course and I've contacted two clubs in Dublin (Greenhills and Dublin Archers) but haven't gotten any word back from them yet. Anyone any advice for me?

Thats unusual, both clubs are very active and quick to respond. Are the details here and here the contacts you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I emailed greenhills directly and filled out the dublin archers beginners form Panser. I heard back from Greenhills late last week with details on the course. Going to be hearing from DA shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭King John The Last

Most transition year students are reccomended to pick up a hobby in the year. Might archery be suitable? Are there any legal issues with me being 15? I live in co. clare.

Hey John,

Nope, no legal issues at all. We have active archers as young as 5. Archery is a good sport to try out in transition year but its one that you would need someone in the know to help you out with as it is quite technical at times - as well as obviously dangerous!

What part of Clare are you in? Not sure if there is a club there but there are a few above you in Galway, and below ya in Limerick.

Hope you give it a go, you won't regret it!

P

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭King John The Last

Lahinch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EkHatch

Is it possible to sell archery equipment on this forum or site? I have a bow and arrows for sale and im looking to sell them but is it possible to sell them on this forum/site?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

EkHatch wrote: »
    Is it possible to sell archery equipment on this forum or site? I have a bow and arrows for sale and im looking to sell them but is it possible to sell them on this forum/site?

Read this.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement