Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is dublin a kip??

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ellesmere

A lot prejudice is based on appearance. It’s not being made clear if people are referring to others as scum because they perpetrate crimes on others or because they grew up in the inner city. And even at that I’d bet there is not many here who aren’t guilty of a few minor indiscretions.

I’ve being going out in Dublin for years and never being assaulted or robbed. Although when I was in college we were with a group walking through temple bar at 2am and one idiot with us responded to some pissed bloke who was asking him for change, and then stopped to hear his life story. Despite us telling him to come along he stayed. Later that night he called back at the flat telling us he’d been robbed by yer man. Stupid bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Dublin has its problems, like any city, but it has its wonders too.

I have often taken friends and relations on informal tours of the city. I even set up a site with photos I took, for friends abroad who have never seen Dublin. So, here, let me take you on a walk around my city:

A walking tour with Flukey!!!!

Now, that wasn't bad was it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Your tour is pretty cool, Flukey - lots of nice things to see and admire :) A trip to the Natural History Museum is a lot of fun as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

yeah you make dublin look well all right and its a nice tour but i think you could make any place look nice if you really wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Yes. Dublin is a kip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Nice collection Flukey, but I still hold by my opinion that Dublin is a kip, having lived there all my life, and having seen how truly beautiful and *spacious* other European cities I have visited in the last year are

• Registered Users Posts: 20,955 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I had a look at Flukey's collection and it's mostly broken images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I never had a bad experence in Dublin City, love the place, but is true there is nothing really tradisonal. Kerry was nice, would love to go back.

Thanks Joey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Originally posted by Stark
    I had a look at Flukey's collection and it's mostly broken images.

Im looking at it now and theres not a broken image in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,955 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah it's only on Linux that the problem arises.

He's the image URLs of the form:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/Pictures\GPOtour.jpg

when it should be:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/Pictures/GPOtour.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

i'm using mozilla 1.7 on win2000 and the same happens to me works fine in IE though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dublin is not a kip. I dont spend much time in the city centre at night but when i have been there i have not had a problem. Never been attacked in the city centre.

Anyway as for kip? Some parts are yes but Dublin IS cleaner than a lot of cities and has a hell of a lot less graffiti!! O'Connell street looks fantastic at the moment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BobsYourAuntie

I live in Dublin. I am a Dub. I have always been a Dub. However...

I think Dublin is one of the biggest sh1tholes ever to disgrace the planet. Not that there aren't even worse places mind you. But Dublin is a sh1thole. Deep in our hearts, all Dubs know this to be true.

BTW, for all you idiots out there (you know who you are), this is called an OPINION. Get used to the concept -- you'll sleep better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. They do make Dublin look nice. Dublin has lots of nice parts and a lot of history and tourists love it. It also has its terrible parts and its share of crime, drugs, dereliction etc. But then, every city has its bad points. We've all been in different cities and seen the good and bad in them. As visitors, we usually only see the good parts of cities, whereas in our own cities or cities we have spent time living in, we see the darker sides. Every city has its charms and Dublin is no different. Every city has its awful parts and problems and Dublin is no different.

We are never a tourist in our own homes, so we look at them differently. There are people that drive through College Green everyday and pass the Bank of Ireland and would not that it was once the seat of Parliament. There are Dubliners that have never been inside the wall of Trinity College. There are people who don't know who Daniel O'Connell was and where a lot of the other street names come from and the about the people they are named after or have monuments to them in the city. There is so much about our own cities that we don't know although we may live in them and pass all these things every day. Yet as soon as we arrive in another city we want to learn all about it and end up knowing more about it than the place we live in. Many Dubliners would probably be better able to show someone around Paris or New York or wherever, having been there just once, than they would around Dublin.

As I said, I have brought visiting friends and relations around Dublin by foot and shown them some of its wonders. I know full well it has its problems, but I like to look at the positive side of things too. There are many things that I think should be done to improve Dublin and deal with its problems, but there are many great things about it too that also need paying attention to. There are many things about it that have improved considerably in recent times and are continuing to do so. Any of us that know Dublin will know there have been many positive moves over the past 10 or 15 years, so lets focus on those too and not be totally negative. I have put all nice photos that I have taken onto that site, but they are all photos of things that are in the city, so those nice things about the city are there and let's not forget that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by IDM
    There are usually plenty of people on DC streets no matter what time of the night, although the bums can be kind of worrying.

Did you like the murder capital of the US?

Yeah, Dublin is a kip, but then again I have a love hate relationship with nearly ever city I’ve visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

What I really don't like about this town is the destructive attitude certain elements seem to have towards civic amenities, I'm talking vandalism here people.

Its everywhere. You can't have anything nice, attractive or useful in this town without it being destroyed in 10 seconds. And the worst part of it is the effort and thought (can I call it that?) these cream crackers put into their vandalism....they would literally spend hours trying to smash somthing up. If they only re-directed these energies into somthing creative then then we'd be a whole lot better off.

Advertisement