Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question: What was the first Discworld you read.

• 26-04-2004 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

What was the first Discworld novel you read and why?

The first one I read was Feet of Clay. I picked it up on a ferry crossing from Cork to France when I was 12. There was all these other book books on the self, goosebumbs and babysitters club. I had to read something to get my mind of the trip and it was the only book there I like the sound of. Im glad I did pick it now, I can't remember much else about that holiday.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Interesting Times
    not all that impressive tbh

'Soul Music' was my second. by far the greatest discworld novel i've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

"Mort", from the county library. Looking back, it's the book where he got into his stride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i didn't read any of them - i went the audiobook route - first i listened to was mort - very entertaining indeed :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mort - Can'r remember who gave me the book though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Started at the beginning with The Colour of Magic. I liked it, thought the luggage was great. It stole the show from the other characters. I didn't start on The Light Fantastic for a while after that but once I started Equal Rites I thought the series was great and have been reading one after another since then.
    Question: why wasn't the character of Esk from Equal Rites mentioned in any other Discworld books? I thought she was pretty good and deserved a follow up book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Hogfather - given to me on xmas and all:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i started at the beginning as well and i'm up to and reading sourcery at the moment. i also like the luggage and i also like pratchett style and the kinda discworld science that goes on.

is esk the wizard/witch from equal rites? i've just read it and don't fully remember i'm kinda crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I got the Truckers/Diggers etc books as a present once and loved them, so when I saw a Pratchett book in the library I read it. I was hooked immediately. I think that I read one of the first two first, either The Colour of Magic or The light fantastic. Loved Rincewind and the luggage. :D

Kalina, I just finished Equal Rites again last night and I was thinking the same thing, she just seems to disappear, or maybe give up "proper magic" at the end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Maybe Esk got sick of being stuck in the University full of old beardie guys! :D Still doesn't explain where she went though. Maybe TP will write a discworld book about her in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Mort and Reaper man. Thank you Janus (Pronouced Yanus)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Lords and Ladies from a second hand book shop, I was hooked and ended up payin full price for the rest of his stuff(Worth every penny/cent):D

Originally posted by jongore
    ended up payin full price for the rest of his stuff(Worth every penny/cent):D
    True I haven't any other books which are read so much as TP's ones. I'm re-reading the series as I speak:cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Started with the Colour of Magic. Own everything else he's written now, apart from The Unadulterated Cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Started on "Soul Music" from the Dungarvan Library purely by chance tbh. I rather liked it, but didn't get around to reading the rest of the stuff for 10 years or so. It may have to do with the fact that I couldn't really get into Truckers and all them, and they were the only other Pratchett books there most of the time. I got bored of them, and didn't really care to read more Pratchett for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pyramids.

I'd just finished reading Good Omens, my first Pratchett book (with Neil Gaimen) and thought "Ooh, Terry Pratchett, he's a funny bloke, I'll give this one a go..."

To be honest, I was just hoping to read about Death a bit more. Such a character... :)

After Pyramids from the public library, I started buying them in chronological order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

Hogfather was my first - great book.

I bought "Science of the Discworld" lately and didn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The colour of magic - anybody tell me which book should be read next?

edit: looking through http://www.ie.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/index.html now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

I thought Pyramids was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

My first was "Gaurds Gaurds" and my favourites are "More", "Reaper Man" and "Hogfather". As you can probably tell, I'm a big Death fan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Karoma

the light fantastic is up next followed by equal rites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

My first was Witches Abroad, I got a lend of it off a friend who had all his books so far (mid nineties). I just re-read it recently, I love the witches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I was always turned off by the covers of the books. Then last Christmas my aunt bought me 'The Truth'. I thought I'd humour her by reading it. I loved it. Read as far as Pyrimids now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Interesting times followed by the color of magic and the light fantastic

Originally posted by Karoma

edit: looking through http://www.ie.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/index.html now..

the light fantastic

is the next book and it tells you what happens to rincewind since he's in a spot of bother at the end of the first book.

once you've finished that you can either move onto equal rights as data suggested or if you like rincewind you can read interesting times personally speaking I love the guards book they are my personal favourites always have always will be

Originally posted by AL][EN
    he's in a spot of bother at the end of the first book.

A spot of bother? I believe the description was something along the lines of
    Ribncewind is currently finding out why, when heading into deep space in a space suit, it is vitally important not to forget the helmet.

:)

Ribncewind?, Sarky are you reading a different series as us?:D, I'm working my way through Wee Free Men right now. I'm getting really annoyed at the fact that he seems to be writing just kids stories right now - I want Wizards now!!!. I mean none of his books are very long but the kids ones you could eat your way through in a single sitting, just not enough meat for my liking.

Gah! Accursed sleep deprivation! A POX ON THEE!

may you live in interesting times .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I've only started reading these books, and i started with The Colour Of Magic. I'm now reading The Light Fantastic.
    I think Death is a hillarious character:

Death: Sod you then.:D

• Advertisement

If you like the first two books then you will definitely enjoy the rest of the series it only gets better (until the last adult one Monstrous Regiment - which was pants).

Originally posted by Kain
    Death: Sod you then.:D

Correction: SOD YOU THEN.

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I resent that! Monstrous Regiment was great :D

Advertisement