Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Digital Camera..

Options
  • 16-04-2004 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I don't know much about digital cameras, but I would take a look at this thread. Of course if you just want a cheap digital camera, I would go for something like this. I have no idea how good/bad it is, so you should probably ignore the above.

Please select the following purpose your camera is going to be used for:
    [ ] Holiday snaps
    [ ] Wedding photography
    [ ] Professional modelling shoots

Unless you picked the second or third option above, I don't think you need anything particularly extravagent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Links to buy cameras

www.pixmania.com
    www.komplett.ie
    www.camireland.com
    www.amazon.com (Don't laugh, occasionally it's the cheapest site for stuph)
    www.ny-camera.com

Since you've already used a digital camera, try to extrapolate the features that you liked/didn't like, use/didn't use, etc. Was it heavy, did you use the optical zoom much, did you like the LCD screen size/quality, were you satisfied with the build quality, were the images you took to a satisfactory resolution, etc? You can let us know here, I'm sure there a plenty of people who can recommend a camera that roughly matches your specs and price range and then it's just a matter of trawling through the websites above to find the cheapest price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Also try....

www.computeruniverse.net , huge range and there generally excellent on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Rather than spend a lot of time in "cyberspace" trying to find something that fits your needs, go talk someone in a camera shop near where you live. Least they will have the product there and you can take note of which one you like and then see if price compares well with online offerings. You need to hold the product and see that you like it. You can't do that on the web.

One of the best sites for reviews of cameras is www.dpreview.com - so start there to look at the ones that get good reviews and then visit the camera shops to view the product up close...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭azraelissime

I've bought the DC-CAM 3000. Not exactly the cheapest one but I'm really satified with the quality of the pictures. I've never tried to use it outside but inside with the flash and for once Creative is not selling a crap camera (unfortunately it doesn't work as a webcam).

http://ie.europe.creative.com/estore/product.asp?prod=525

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭.-=MR. JOE=-.

I must recommend the Pentax Optio 555. It does great in all the reviews. It got 97% in one I read a while ago. It's 5MP and 5XOpticalZoom which is Great in a very compact camera. I could post a few photos I've taken if you guys want. It can take macro shots at 2cm!
    I got mine at Pixmania. I wouldn't recommend them, Amazon had a big delay at the time. They send it with French plugs and manual. Not much cheaper than Amazon either. It cost around €560 but the Optio 550 is still around - the one it replaced. The only real difference is the speed it operates at (startup etc.)

Let me know if ye want a few sample shots.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Whatever you buy — but particularly if you're thinking of spending more than a couple of hundred yoyo — try and get someone to bring it back from the States, you'll save some serious money. And buy a case/rechargeable batteries/extra memory while you're at it — most dealers offer some sort of "bundle".

I just bought a Fuji Finepix S5000 for $310 (about €280) delivered to a pal in Missouri who's coming "home" next month. It's €570 in Argos... :D

peckerhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Nomatica .. Quite Good

I bought a camera off these guys a while back .. also a Kiss DVD player

quite good IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Genghis

Check out the camera at this link

Superquinn are apparently selling these for €99 (I am not sure if there are coupons involved, I think not). Though I am by no means any expert, it seems like a bargain to me for a medium-to-high spec camera.

FYI my parents are thinking of buying one. They seen it for sale in the Naas branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

The Trust camera is a heap of junk that produces worse pictures than the cameras on phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Genghis

Have you got that exact one, drane2?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bartleby

Excellent reviews, sample pictures, etc of wide range of cameras at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Originally posted by Genghis
    Have you got that exact one, drane2?

I know someone that bought it, used it for about five minutes, before deciding to give it away as a present. I saw some of the pictures he took and they were pretty horrendous. Came out looking worse than a 0.3 mp camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

sounds like your mate did not read the manual ...
    the specs for that camera seem quite good , apart from the zoom which is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

www.dpreview.com has details comparison on almost (significant) all models out there in the market, and they have a 'Best, good, not so good' chart as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

dpreview.com is the best site! I have bought all my digital cameras on the basis of there reviews - past a present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i have the nikon coolpix 3100 and love it...there are some photos i took, reduced in size obviously, at http://www.michd.com/photos.html showing a variety of different settings; outdoors, concerts etc. would really recommend the camera.....but yeah, have to agree dpreview is an awesome site :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 George_h

Things to look out for

Optical vs Digital zoom, Optical is always better. Heard of some one in Dixons being told that Digital is better. All Dixons group (PC world, Currys) are good for is selling warranties on hardware you don't need but thats another thread

Separate viewfinder - Saves on batteries if you can switch off the screen. You can review and delete after. plus you take a steadier shot.

Batteries with the highest mAh you can get.

Type of memory is important CF giving the most since the microdrives up to 2.2gig on komplett.ie.

Best advice is to go into a camera shop have a look arond and see what you find comfortable in weight, holding in the hand and how easy the menu is to use. and then see if you can get a better price on any of the websites.........

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

Originally posted by drane2
    I know someone that bought it, used it for about five minutes, before deciding to give it away as a present. I saw some of the pictures he took and they were pretty horrendous. Came out looking worse than a 0.3 mp camera.

i bought the trust camera from superquinn and i'm very happy with the results!
    Recommend it for holiday, casual use etc.....
    And at €99 its a pretty good bargain i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

For compact digital cameras, amazon.co.uk is one of the best places to shop. Good choice of cameras and cheap prices in many cases.

Examples:
    Canon Powershot A60
    99 UKP from amazon.co.uk (sold out a couple of days ago unfortunately, may be getting more in)
    134 UKP from cam-ireland
    205 euros from komplett.ie
    245 euros from elara.ie

Olympus mju 410
    190 UKP from amazon.co.uk
    258 UKP from cam-ireland
    316 euros from ny-camera

Pentax Optio 33WR
    199 UKP from amazon.co.uk
    254 UKP from camireland
    370 euros from ny-camera

And for reviews of digital cameras check out
    www.imaging-resource.com
    www.dcresource.com

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

I got one in Lidl ages ago when they had one and it works just fine. Really quality pics. It still works too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're planning on going anywhere on holiday, then buy it while you're away, and save some cash.

i got my olympus c750 ultra zoom in thailand with a 256mb card for about 500E. it's still 800E here in the shops, even without the memry card, so there's definately room for good savings in the right place.

if you don't want to go to the other side of the world to do it then the canaries are good for that sort of thing. just make sure you barter, and maybe even go back the next day before you commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dysfunct

i recommend you buy abroad aswell.

a friend of mine was in hols in lanzarote and purchased a view handy sony for €150
    Its an all round quality phone.
    pic quality is great, and it takes movie clips with sound.

i have a digital cam aswell, got it as an xmas present 2 years ago.
    its only 1.3 mp but it does the job.
    takes video clips aswell but no sound.
    its a konica digital revio and you can still buy it for around 130 - 150 mark i think.
    its a decent cam but i'd recommend you get a cam that can take video clips with sound.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I also got mine abroad. The Superb Canon G5, cost about e365 in the US, still costs about e750 - 800 in stores in Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Right, I'm also in the hunt for a good value digital camera and knew nothing about digital cameras till I read this thread.

I discounted Sony because of their battery and memory type being sony specific
    Reading comments on boards I summarised that I need 3MG pixel, Optical zoom, Compact Flash and NI-Mi battery

The Nikon 3100 is what I've slimmed down to, cheapest I could find is Amazon.co.uk at STG£150, I would also get a 256 compact flash card for another STG£30, plus £5 P+P.

Can I do better??

Also, can someone recommend a printer to make use of this new gadget? - I have a PC.

Tks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Has anyone any experience of buying cameras off eBay?

There seems to be brilliant bargains on UK spec Canon 10Ds from Canada and USA not to mention Hong Kong. The prices blow Europe out of the water and there seems to be great added value (lenses, compact flash cards, batteries etc.) included in the cheaper price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

AMerc you can come into me in work in Blanchardstown one hour (Yellow enterance). I'll explain everythign you need to know adn show how to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭.-=MR. JOE=-.

Here'a a few photos I've taken with the Pentax Optio 555 I mentioned earlier. They're dumbed down versions. PM me if ya want originals.

optio555.jpg

>>>> http://www.geocities.com/somefotostorage/boards/ <<<<<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Here'a a few photos I've taken with the Pentax Optio 555
    Pentax have a nice range of compact digi cams at the moment. The Optio S and S4, Optio 555 and the Optio WR series are pretty cool. I might be getting an Optio 43 WR soon, just waiting for some reviews of it to come out. Looks like a great little camera - 4 mp, 2.8x zoom, water resistant, uses AA batteries and has an excellent movie mode (640 x 480 @ 30 fps with sound until memory card is full)

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

Yea wat is a gud compact DC? I'd be looking for 1 that i could keep with me at all times and hardly notice it's there. :D Don't want to break the bank either & none of those crappy credit card cams. I do want to take decent pics after all.

Advertisement