Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midp 2.0 game

Options
  • 14-04-2004 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

Lookin 4 some tutorials on midp2.0
    more specifically how 2 make a game

lookin 4 info such as how 2 inplement a timer, high score etc
    any help is appreciated

the game is gonna b a 2d scroller

ps allready have the ones on the sun site and on javadeveloper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Hey, is this for a college project?

I made a game for my final year project this year, i'm not quite finished it yet but have the most of it done. Its just a basic car racing around a track to record the quickest time type game.

I've made my own very basic timer and am in the middle of implementing a high score function in it.

i have to have it finished next week so i'll post it up here then if anyone wants to test it.

Jason Lams site --> very very good website, full of source code and explanations.

microjava --> another great guide of how to program a game

There is more than enough on both those sites to get you going.

I posted here months ago about mobile games and a few people seemed to be making them, wonder how everyone got on/is getting on?

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

I'm writing mipd 2.0 applications (sony p900) but they're not games.

A great introduction to midp2.0 (and which contains a highly regarded section on java games) is "Wireless Java: Devleloping with J2ME" by Jonathan Knudsen. Get it from amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by soma
    A great introduction to midp2.0 (and which contains a highly regarded section on java games) is "Wireless Java: Devleloping with J2ME" by Jonathan Knudsen. Get it from amazon.co.uk

I agree. It's an excellent book.

Also if you plan to design/write games I would strongly recommend "Ultimate Game Design: Building Game Worlds" by Tom Meigs. You can also pick up at Amazon.

Deals with designing/creating different kinds of genre of games as well what formats and information on the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Originally posted by Farls
    Hey, is this for a college project?

I made a game for my final year project this year, i'm not quite finished it yet but have the most of it done. Its just a basic car racing around a track to record the quickest time type game.

I've made my own very basic timer and am in the middle of implementing a high score function in it.

i have to have it finished next week so i'll post it up here then if anyone wants to test it.

Jason Lams site --> very very good website, full of source code and explanations.

microjava --> another great guide of how to program a game

There is more than enough on both those sites to get you going.

I posted here months ago about mobile games and a few people seemed to be making them, wonder how everyone got on/is getting on?

Farlz

hey farls how many hours roughly have u put into ur game so far ?
    just want 2 get a rough estimation

very good question. I honestly would have no idea, we had to do the whole UML design stuff from september to december, then being lazy i only really started coding in February and have it almost finished now. I'm not the kind of person who does a little bit of work on projects each evening though, or even each week.

I generally spend a whole day at something and get a few weeks work done at a time.

So to answer your question i have no idea! I know that i had next to nothing done last week and after 2 days had the game nearly finished though.

It depends on your ability as a programmer i guess, when i started this project i was only beginning to learn Java and C++ so OO programming was all new to me.

On a side note i tried putting the game onto a phone earlier today and hit problems cuz the phone wasn't midp 2.0 compliant so i have to figure a way around this now.

sorry for rambling, i'm thinking off 100 different things at the moment. Any other questions though and i'll try to answer better!

Farlz

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Farls
    On a side note i tried putting the game onto a phone earlier today and hit problems cuz the phone wasn't midp 2.0 compliant so i have to figure a way around this now.

Only the new phones are midp2.0. Might have some in work which could run it.

Found a way to upload to them I'll post as another thread.

Hobbes, good idea on the FAQ for mobile devices. It would of been a great resource for me a few months back...hehe

I spent last night trying to figure out how to get a phone to run my game, i understand now that it has to be midp 2.0 compliant and theres very few of those phones around at the moment. Probably the best chance of finding one would be the nokia 6600 or 7600 but these would be very rare.

As for actually getting the game onto the phone i put it onto my 7250i last night using infra red and the nokia suite on the laptop. It transferred across no problem but when you try to open it an error saying the phone doesn't support it comes up.

I was looking up the 6600 last night and the cheapest i can find one is for 420e. I want a new phone myself but it would be a bit ridiculous buying one especially for a 20 minute presentation.

So my question is if i was to bring a 7250i into a nokia centre can they update to midp 2.0?

//I should probably be asking this on another forum but it fits in here with the thread

Cheers

Farlz

Having a bit of trouble here trying to get the game onto the phone. I have a kind of a beta done of the game, with just the basics working all compiled using the wireless toolkit 2.0

I have Sagem my v-65 phone here which is midp 2.0 compliant.

I loaded the jar file onto my boards space

http://members.boards.ie/farls/MenuScreen.jar
    http://members.boards.ie/farls/MenuScreen.jad

the jad is there also, but i loaded the jad file onto mobilesheaven with it directing towards the boards jar file.

Now this all works fine, i download the jad file onto the phone and it points towards the boards jar file then and downloads it. The problem is though that when i begin downloading the game the screen just shows up "PK" in small writing up the top left corner and the option to click ok. I click ok and thats it....nothing else happens.

I opened the jar file in a text editor to look at it and the first thing i see in it is "PK".

I'm wondering if whats happening means that the file isn't actually fully downloading maybe?

If anyone with a midp2.0 phone wants to give them a go be my guest.

Any suggestions as always appreciated

Farlz

boards.ie probably doesn't have the mime type set up correctly.

I had the same problem trying to download with the JAD on boards.ie

PK = The start of the Jar file (its basically a PKZip format). Most likely it downloaded to your phone as text.

Ok, so what i should do now is put both the jad and jar files on mobilesheaven and download both from there?

I'll give it a try sure

Cheers Hobbes tho, i noticed that PK was at the start of the file but wasn't sure what was going on

Farlz

• Advertisement

Just tried that there but i'm getting a 404 connection not found, probably because you have to log into the site to download the files.

So any other site i could put my jar file on to get this working?

Farlz

Did you update your JAD to point to mobiles heaven?

yip

MIDlet-Jar-URL: http://www.mobilesheaven.com//usersfiles//MenuScreen.jar

is what its currently pointing too, where both files are sitting, i have the jad file on the phone and thats what it looks like in the info of the jad file as well

Farlz

[edit] i think the problem is either that link is wrong, or its because you have to log onto the website even through wap to see your own files [/edit]

looking at it now and it should of worked with your Jad pointing to boards.ie (I'll test when I get home).

When you upload the JAR/JAD it should give you an ID number and your password. You log into

http://wap.mobilesheaven.com/

Some of the later phones will allow you to download the jar directly.

Edit* Checked. Boards.ie is the problem in relation to the jar not downloading. :/

Not sure where you could host it.

hmmm...well at least i know where the problem lies now. cheers hobbes, your saving me a lot of time here of which i'm already lacking!

I tried putting the jar directly onto the phone but no luck. Java Class not found error coming up.

There is the option of infra red with this phone but i dont have a suite like the nokia one to use with it...also a data cable but theres none in the shops up here.

Hobbes i'm presuming you have some way of transferring jad/jar files to your phone?

If so ya wouldn't be able to test my game and tell me if it works at all?

Cheers

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The issue with downloading JAR files onto your mobile is related to the HTTP Content-Type of the file ("application/java-archive"). Not all hosts support this as an installed MIME type - if not you can still output it as a binary stream using most scripting languages (pref. not ASP - ASP sucks serious donkey c0ck where it comes to outputting binary content).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Do you not have some sort of college hosting?; in my college we can put up our own little pages using the Linux accounts create a dir called public_html and stick in whatever you want into it - is that possible in your Uni?.

<edit>Of course that may not be a solution as you may still fall prey to the incorrect MIME^^ settings trap</edit>

I just grabbed your jar and placed it on my webspace FireFox identifies it as a zip file and the default program it tries to use to open it is the unzip util - so it seems to identify the file correctly. Here is the URL http://csserver.ucd.ie/~s01bf007/MenuScreen.jar see if after changing the jad file you can grab this.

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    The issue with downloading JAR files onto your mobile is related to the HTTP Content-Type of the file ("application/java-archive"). Not all hosts support this as an installed MIME type - if not you can still output it as a binary stream using most scripting languages (pref. not ASP - ASP sucks serious donkey c0ck where it comes to outputting binary content).

Thats going slightly over my head there, what your saying is if i had my own website, i could use some php code (like in the FAQ) to get the jar file? how do i know what the MIME type is setup like on websites though?

Farlz

[edit] i'll that now just 5 mins please [/edit]

Just tried that there Croc, no luck tho same PK coming up in the top left corner.

Cheers for putting it up though, quite a strange problem this, i'm understanding whats wrong but i can't quite get my head around how to fix it.

Farlz

• Advertisement

OK I thought that since Firefox was getting it from my website and recognizing as a zip(basically what jar is - with other stuff) that Apache had the MIME settings right......worth a try I guess sorry 'bout that:(. Do any of the more knowledgeable programmers know if there is anyway for me on my side ,without the right to fiddle with Apache(not root), to force a MIME setting - and what would that MIME be for it to work as it should?; what should the server be calling it?:confused:.

Corinthian posted how to do it in PHP (I added that to the FAQ).

I was looking at that hobbes, but i don't have access to a website to actually use that code, or even fully understand PHP.

I'm sure i could get a lecturer here next week to sort something out for me, but with the project having to be handed up next week i was hoping to get this going before then.

Cheers tho

Farlz

The only prob with that PHP is i cant see where the jar file name goes?; Hobbes I dont actually know any PHP so I'm supposing I replace all $JarFile with the jar name and call this x.wml and then anyone with a wap phone can log in and grab that jar file, right?:confused:.

http://csserver.ucd.ie/~s01bf007/test.html just html

http://csserver.ucd.ie/~s01bf007/test.wml wml page

http://csserver.ucd.ie/~s01bf007/test1.html where I am changing some stuff (Guess work I dont think it works). What do I change in the code to get it to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mazikeen

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Do any of the more knowledgeable programmers know if there is anyway for me on my side ,without the right to fiddle with Apache(not root), to force a MIME setting
    We support both PHP (for tha script that was mentioned) and the MIME type for jar files. We're not free though...

Originally posted by Mazikeen
    We support both PHP (for tha script that was mentioned) and the MIME type for jar files. We're not free though...

you hardly have about 24kb of webspace of your own for personal use that you might put up a wee program for me on tho?

//starts thinking of compliments

Farlz

Originally posted by Mazikeen
    What are you from UCD?, we are allowed use our Linux machines accounts for web projects you know quite a few ppl have SQL databases web sites up and running for various projects I dont think 24k is a prob:rolleyes:. I'm just looking for the appropriate changes to the PHP subminted by The Cor so that I can get it working. I know zero PHP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'm just looking for the appropriate changes to the PHP subminted by The Cor so that I can get it working. I know zero PHP.
    I don't think the script is what needs changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mazikeen

What are you from UCD?, we are allowed use our Linux machines accounts for web projects you know quite a few ppl have SQL databases web sites up and running for various projects I dont think 24k is a prob:rolleyes:. I'm just looking for the appropriate changes to the PHP subminted by The Cor so that I can get it working. I know zero PHP.
    Nope, not from UCD and nothing to do with them. All I'm saying is either with the script that was supplied or even just downloading them directly, we support the hosting of Jar files. Sorry if it was out of place to mention.

• Advertisement

Not out of place although you should of mentioned in context (I clicked your profile).

A bit too expensive for hosting something that is only 8-10KB on average. More for the website hosting.

*Edit. Also the mods don't like people pimping sites with no content to the actual thread. Now if you were to host his file to see if it is his file or the server that would help.

Advertisement