Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback Someone nicked my sig.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by DeVore
    Yoda... who said I was using it in a pejorative way? I think you are tilting at windmills to be honest!

When the leader of a community of 22,000 people uses a word that desribes someone's sexuality/identity as a way to slag off someones signature then it would seem more than tilting at windmills.

Would it be so easy to use if you replaced 'gay' with 'jew' or 'black' ? These words too are used by people to desribe their identity. Changing the spelling doesn't change its meaning.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'll really stir it up and suggest Handbags at dawn?

John

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Lump
    I'll really stir it up and suggest Handbags at dawn?

John
    Followed by a group panty unbunching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by yellum
    the leader of a community of 22,000 people

All hail DeVore - our tribal chief!!

?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Since the signature is now not talking up as much space as before I'm just going to let DeVore decide if you get to keep it.

Apparently a topless male in your signature isn't as much of a problem as a topless female, but others may have a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by ecksor
    Since the signature is now not talking up as much space as before I'm just going to let DeVore decide if you get to keep it.

Apparently a topless male in your signature isn't as much of a problem as a topless female, but others may have a different opinion.

Thanks Ecksor.
    I 'll wait and see what Dev says so.

The Muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Thanks Ecksor.
    I 'll wait and see what Dev says so.

The Muppet

Thats very gracious of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Personally I have a serious problem with that sig. The last thing I want to see is Roy Keanes Man Breasts while I'm checking out threads on boards drinking my cup of cha (had too much wine yesterday !!!!).

Gandalf.

(oh Dev anytime you want to "open a can of whoopass" on the soccer forum feel free :) I'm fed up being the bad guy all the time)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Muppet doesnt mean cloth hand puppet either... troll doesnt mean green monster resident under a bridge. Yoda, I would have expected you to accept that language morphs and changes and it often comes from redefining words. Next you'll be telling me that we dont actually get pink meat in our inboxes.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: Yellum rarely looks brightly coloured either.... tsk tsk...

DeV, failing to take this particularly seriously... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Actually, DeVore, I think Yellum is right. You're a community leader. And you're intelligent. You're smart enough to know that your choice of words matters. I still don't know what your original intent was in using the word "gay" in the way that you did. There is no "ghey" that rhymes with "gay" but means a general dismissal or disapproval divorced from homosexual connotations.

Use your intelligence.

Yoda,

Could you please elaborate on why DeVore's choice of words matters more than anybody elses as a result of his community leader status?

Is he a role model?
    role model
    n.

A person who serves as a model in a particular behavioral or social role for another person to emulate.

There is no "ghey" that rhymes with "gay" but means a general dismissal or disapproval divorced from homosexual connotations.

Err... there is. Its a common enough term to mean "crap, useless, annoying". EG: "Ah fnck... thats Ghey!"... or I might say that breaking my leg was ghey.

All the same, thats semantics as having a picture of three partially naked men in your sig also qualifies it to be "gay". You seem to be the one seeing the perjorative in that.... I didnt recognise (and still dont recognise) Roy Keane in it... (is that him?).

Personally I'm not going to walk around on eggshells about sexuality. You want to put gay people in some sort of vacuum safe from the rough and tumble of life... fine. I dont and its nothing to do with my intellect thanks.

We should take this to a different topic, its dragging this thread off-topic as it is.

DeV.

I think we are on a different topic now DeV.

If people are wondering why I'm bringing this up ...

Well, a few days ago when DeVore returned to the country, there was a crowd of kids who recognised him at the airport and naturally they were very excited. However, DeVore didn't talk to them, sign any autographs or allow the children to have their picture taken with them.

Personally I think that's wrong.

It matters, Ecksor.

From The Silence of the Lambs:

"It matters, Mr Crawford. Cops look at you to see how to act. It matters."
    "Point taken."

ps: Yellum rarely looks brightly coloured either.... tsk tsk...

You weren't in Tenerife with me recently then. Cooked I was.

Originally posted by Yoda
    It matters, Ecksor.

I think my dictionary defines elaboration differently to yours.

No, there isn't, DeVore. There is no word "ghey" that derives from some other word that differs from "gay". The word "gay", which could be used in the 1920s for "happy" or "colourful", can no longer be used in those contexts. You know that. Today it refers to homosexuals. Your use of this word in the way that you used it is not some sort of "enlightened detachment". It is an ignorant continuation of a rude abuse. You should be big enough to eschew such language. It matters.

bollox.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

From urbandictionary.com:

ghey

Term used to sum up a situation, regardless of magnitude, as having been extremely displeasing, or lacking any likeable qualities.

That mission was ghey.

Different spelling, different meaning, different word. Which wasn't initially your point, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Well, a few days ago when DeVore returned to the country, there was a crowd of kids who recognised him at the airport and naturally they were very excited. However, DeVore didn't talk to them, sign any autographs or allow the children to have their picture taken with them.

Man Utd plc have taken over boards now?

Is he a role model?

He has represented Boards in (I think) at least two newspaper articles so far. He has become a spokesperson for a community whether he likes it or not 22,000 isn't even a community now its large city.

Err... there is. Its a common enough term to mean "crap, useless, annoying". EG: "Ah fnck... thats Ghey!"... or I might say that breaking my leg was ghey.

Indeed. Now I hate using the word but Nigger is a 'common enough term' too depending on where you are, and it too is used as a derogatory word. It has various spellings like nigga and niggah and n1gger. Just because it's a 'common enough term' and its a varian of the original word doesn't mean it's right to use it.

Lots of things that have common usage have turned out to be uncivil and wrong.

Ah, ok, spokesperson is a different matter.

Devore. You know who I am. You and I have met. You and I have had interesting discussions on any number of topics.

Dismiss my opinion and my argument with a simple "bollox"?

Then you do not deserve the respect of those who have embraced Boards, who have tried to be a part of this community, who have tried to educate others on these forums. We, using the forums you have provided, expect better than "bollox". I have talked to you. You are a bigger person than that.

Or you could be.

We, using the forums you have provided, expect better than "bollox".

There's more than one spokesperson here!

oh ffs.

Sorry but I'm not a spokesperson for jack (or jill , we mustnt be sexist). "bollox" was a snapped off, partly humourous response to your holier-then-thou logic.

Yellum, that reminds me of the person who was dismissed from their job for describing a colleague as "niggardly". I'm sorry but I dont see how I even used the term "gay" in a negative way... you are reading that into my words. Have you ever found me to be homophobic? Intolerant of gays? ****, I make fun of myself by having Gay Hair or will that too be seen as mocking this minority.... sorry but I stand by my assessment of this entire argument as PC, new wave, prickly (ohhh errr.. that sounds a bit like...) hyper sensitive, holier-then-thou, new-age BOLLOX!

I dont represent you. I barely represent myself. You are all individuals, NOW FUCK OFF (... how shall we fuck off, oh lord???)

DeV.
    Also, this is now UTTERLY OFF TOPIC and amp was banned for less. New topic or drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    I cant believe you dont know Yoda is Bubbles ffs.

:o

Soz bubs..

You mean he paid a mate to be him too?

Is it off topic to ask for The Muppet to be banned (technically his sig will be gone too) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I know I'm going where angels fear to thread but...

also from urbandictionary....
    ghey
    62 votes

A different spelling of "gay" that some idiots thought up and pretend that it's less derogatory to homosexuals. When in fact, they are wrong. Changing the spelling of a slur doesn't make it any less offensive. Just like spelling the n-word as "kniggar" doesn't make it less of a racial slur.

Only idiots use the word ghey.

The use of the word gay in a pejorative sense (as in the context of Dev's original comment) is (imho) inextricably linked to its homosexual meaning - effectively it an attempt to undermine the label that gay people themselves choose to use, just as gay radials have attempted to take the bite out of words like queer by using it themselves (queer nation etc.) . Whenever I hear the word used by kids (and it appears to be very popular on the streets of dublin as a slag word), I intrinsically associate it back to a homosexual context. If you were a gay kid growing up, would you like the word you use in your head to understand what you are being used as a major putdown word by your mates? If everything "gay" is bad, what r u going to tell ur best friend when the time comes?

I really think that semantics are important in this kind of area and was mildly surprised at Dev using the word like that. Having said that, I genuinely don't think he meant offence, but that just shows how far things have gone against the more established use of the word.

As ever, just my 2cent

C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement