Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 27-02-2004 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

hello....Westeners .

Im moving to Galway next month.... still havent decided where to live. Im looking for a small town thats rural but not too rural and within 30 mins of the city. I was thinking athenry ?

Any sugustions on where might be a good spot to live ?

Alan

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Welcome welcome welcome Alany!!! :D

Ya Athenry is an option, Turloughmore, Tuam (umm maybe not), Corofin, Barna (waay to expensive!!), Moycullen, Gort, Clarinbridge, Claregalway (again expensive), Craughwell.

Are you intending on renting or buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

hey! Whats wrong with Tuam? :ninja:

Athenry is fairly expensive aswell and (from friends of mine who've moved there) they're pretty clan-ish down there. don't like the old outsider coming in, stealing their women!! :p

Really anything within 10-15 miles is goning to be expensive to buy or even rent in most cases.

If you have a car you'll have to factor in the traffic. Chaos trying to get in to the city in the mornings. :o

Small Map of Galway County if its any good to ya. Gort is just below Kinvarra.

.Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Try Clifden whilst a bit further than 30 minutes (around an hour) it is way better than other towns mentioned (runs and ducks for cover)

Sean

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

From Corofin Myself (would highly recommend this area). I would recommend northside of Galway. Loads of places to choose from on the road from Galway to Tuam. Athenry is really nice too but I'd imagine it's expensive. Afaik the trafiic is a bitch into Galway from Athenry during rush hour as well.

Where you coming from Alany? Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Thanks for the replies. Im going to be renting ...for ate least a year anyway.

I think i will be working in Ballybrit, I have a car but the wifey doesnt ...so im looking for somewhere with local aminities. But I dont want to ed up in a sprawling housing estate ( like the one im in now) .

I have found rent prices in Athenry reasonable ( 600pm)
    and havent really looked anywhere else.

Im coming up to Galway this weekend to look at some places. Thank god for the galway advertiser on line eh ?

jabberwock : Your map doesnt work for me ??

DaveG : Im coming from Dublin. Been from Dublin pretty much most of my life so im looking forward to a more rural style of life ... or should I say less urban, I dont have wellies or anything. I have always liked galway, and I never found the people to be too clanish... infact I would say Galway people are the most pleasant people I have met areund Ireland.

(squints eyes and looks directly at cork people...****)

Ill let yas knwo how I get on.

Whats Galway like for broad band these days ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Alany
    Whats Galway like for broad band these days ?

City centre ish not too bad. Best bet imo would be esatBT.

You should also check out ClareGalway if you are renting as it is very handy for Galway with loads of amenities.

Dave.

Galway Map

sorrz
    .Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Dont go to gort, its a depressing hole. went to secondary school there.

kinvarras ok,
    i live in a wee town called ballinderreen, its on the way to kinvarra and they've built a housing estate type jobbie in the village.
    it doesnt have much in the way of local amenities tho hurling pitches, church, primary school, two pubs and a crappy shop. blink and you miss it practically.

Clarinbridge is alright too, its a good bit bigger, couple of hotels/restaurants, pubs, swimming pool, etc.

well I got a house in Athenry, very very happy with it. Nice 3 bed with all the mods and everythign in brand spanking new.

The town looks great hand a nice walk around on the weekend and im looking forward to living there.

DaveG Thanks a million for all your help. Went to see a few places in north Galway but all the good places were too remote ( have a wife and baby with no car)

so.....if you passing throgh Athenry and you see a giant Dublin flag hanging from a house window ....stop in and say hi !

Good stuff Alany. Athenry is a nice spot alright. Really nice Chinese too in the town (the one with the restaurant). and the pub across the road from that is quiet a good one.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

best of luck in your new surroundings Alany.

;)

.Aaron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Alany
    well I got a house in Athenry, very very happy with it. Nice 3 bed with all the mods and everythign in brand spanking new.

At least Pretend you like hurling and you'll be grand.

BB should be available there too (already AFAIK)

Plenty of drinking spots with no surcharge after 11, you won't know yourself.

M

Sounds like a house party is in order. All those is favour say aye.

aye

Muck ...pertend I like hurling ? I love hurling...as far as I am concerned its ont of the greatist sports ever...

I am a 10-15 minute walk from the Athenry grounds and I cant wait to start going to games. I cant play the game...so im hoping to find a little football action there too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

South of the Galway Dublin Railway line is Hurling territory, the standard of football is crap. Who EVER heard of an Athenry football team ?

The good football teams are in North Galway in an arc from Milltown to Ballinasloe , and in the area for about 25 miles west of Galway . The Galway squad is comprised of roughly 10 from west of Galway and 20 from the North county .

M

im talking about Playing, and my standard isnt very high ..that will suit me just fine

Advertisement