Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

The purpose of this thread is for people to post pictures of their bikes and discuss them. It isn't here for you to have a pop at other posters.

Knock it off.

Thanks.

I wasnt having a pop at anyone, I was asking a serious question. But hey whatever, mod away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I wasnt having a pop at anyone, I was asking a serious question. But hey whatever, mod away.

Maybe for some people, their "Images of Beauty" mean the absolute lightest they can make something. This is not "Images of Pure Functionality". There are many individual bikes here I think are rank, but I'm not about to pi$$ on anybody's chips over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Maybe for some people, their "Images of Beauty" mean the absolute lightest they can make something. This is not "Images of Pure Functionality". There are many individual bikes here I think are rank, but I'm not about to pi$$ on anybody's chips over it.

Exactly. This reminds me of overclocking with PCs, why do it? You only need to run most games at say 40 FPS for it to perform well, but guys spend thousands on high end cooling, high end equipment just to push it to the max and shorten the lifespan of parts. Then they take dremels to perfectly fine cases and cut holes, place gaudy lighting and massive fans...

Why? It's a hobby, and they enjoy the one-up-manship of being just a little bit better than those who share this perverse obsession. It's not about running the games or being able to calculate PI in as fast a time as possible, it's just about being crowned king of the hill for a time at least.

If you can't see that, then maybe you shouldn't have posted in the first place.

I think Astra is mad as a box of frogs, but I admire his dedication to his hobby the same way I admire someone painting scorch marks and rust on a model plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Ive been reading through quite a few posts here and watched the recently posted video showing a hill climb. There seems to be an almost anal amount of attention paid to shaving grams of weight off the bike. Do you actually believe a few grams here and there make any difference, or is it just the way the trend has developed and you dont feel youre a serious cyclist unless youre obsessed with weight savings?

From years of mountain biking, I know weight is important, but a few grams will make no difference at all. Im thinking its pretty much all psychological when youre talking about several grams. It seems some people have seriously reduced the effectiveness of certain components in order to save a gram.

The fact that telling people about what youve done to save weight seems important, says it all really.

Sure I ll try to answer although your tone doesn't really invite a discussion. No, I don't think 30grams will make any difference but a kilo does. How do you get a kilo? By counting grams. Also I don't think I am serious cyclist either, when I get to ride the RAS I might call myself serious. I like light bikes, I like how they feel. Have you ever tried a hill with a 6kg bike? It feels awesome. A 5.5kg feels even better. If I could afford to build a 3kilo bike I would.

As for "the effectiveness of certain components in order to save a gram" this is absolutely rubbish. For example these carbon chainrings can reach easily 8-10k kms if you look after them. Every main manufacturer now produces super light stuff, not because is the trend, but because the technology has improved and they are able to. Even the chinese can now produce a 600gr frame. Most of the tour bikes are underweight to the the 6.2-6.3kgs and they have to put stupid weights to reach the limit.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum would love to hear your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Lets not forget that a few grams here and there all add up. Lads may be talking about what seems like minute weight off their bike but when the do it 20 or thirty times it can mean a couple of Kgs.

A couple of Kgs can make a nice difference to your times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Even the chinese can now produce a 600gr frame.

Do I smell another purchase coming up??? :eek: (and please provide a link to this frame!)

BTW, is the weight including pedals?

gman2k wrote: »
    Do I smell another purchase coming up??? :eek: (and please provide a link to this frame!)

BTW, is the weight including pedals?

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_products/2013-Super-Light-full-carbon-Road-Frame-292.html

560gr for the extra small, impressive!

Yeah the weight includes everything (apart from the garmin mount, so add another 14gr :D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Great to see such passionate replies!

I read my post again, and the last part of it does sound a bit cheeky. I never intended it to be, maybe got a bit carried away.

Go for a pee, save yourself a fortune and save more weight! I wonder if there is a strong market for pre-race laxatives for the ultimate weight savings? Put some nice race oriented packaging on some tablets and you could be onto a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I read my post again, and the last part of it does sound a bit cheeky.

I thought the first part did as well. :)

FWIW, I could stand to lose about 10KG myself but would love to do something similar to what Astra did. Lighter bikes do feel very nice I find...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Great to see such passionate replies!

I read my post again, and the last part of it does sound a bit cheeky. I never intended it to be, maybe got a bit carried away.

Go for a pee, save yourself a fortune and save more weight! I wonder if there is a strong market for pre-race laxatives for the ultimate weight savings? Put some nice race oriented packaging on some tablets and you could be onto a winner!

A friend of mine was recently alarmed to get a message from a Cycling buddy instructing him to buy plenty of Prune juice for the 2 weeks before the etape Which they are planning on doing this year.

As he put it "I'm all for preparation and training but not of the toilet variety."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Actually, I think the best thing about Astramonti's build is that he's managed to make it look so nice. A lot of Weight Weenie builds look awful but I think he's really managed to keep it rater tasteful while not compromising on his initial intentions (although I imagine all the extra weight from that paint job must have been giving him sleepless nights ;))

I guess the next question is that since it's looks haven't been compromised, has anything been sacrificed on the performance end of things to achieve that sort of weight without the financial backing of a global media conglomerate ;) I saw those brake calipers up close and I think I was wowed and terrified in equal measures. They must have weighed about the same as a tooth brush!! It'd be cool to hear a detailed performance review from you after you've had time to really but it through its paces over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

8642BF64-82E0-42C5-93E6-ABADA21FA2FC-3691-000003C0E7DDC49F.jpg

Will lob up the TT bike soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^
    stunning - I love Storcks.
    Where did you get the frame?

ROK ON wrote: »
    ^
    stunning - I love Storcks.
    Where did you get the frame?

Base2Race couple years ago, not long after they opened, they were in the door a couple weeks. Tried an Eddie Mercks that day also, no contest.
    Almost pulled the trigger on an Storck Aero last year but had a sneaky suspicion that it looked similar to the Scenaro, I checked the geometry and it was. Still would though ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

mrbungle wrote: »
    8642BF64-82E0-42C5-93E6-ABADA21FA2FC-3691-000003C0E7DDC49F.jpg

Will lob up the TT bike soon.

My favourite wheels..but everywhere I look they are discontinued :(:(

Zyzz wrote: »

Everywhere?
    Tubs: http://www.dewielershop.nl/road/Wielen/shimano-dura-ace-7900-c50-tube-wielset.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

(if you are a guy..no homo..)

Jawsis. Hope it works out between you and the C50s!!

Originally wanted the C75 but could only source ex-pro tubs. Have my eye on something sexy now, for 'good' use ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Possibly generic carbon clinchers with Dura Ace decals but they're a third the price of the tubs...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DURA-ACE-C50-road-3K-full-carbon-bicycle-wheelset-clincher-rim-carbon-bike-700C-/121115951852?pt=US_Wheels_Wheelsets&hash=item1c3312c2ec#ht_4877wt_1163

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

My pride and joy :)

2zdui3q.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My next purchase is going to have blue as part of its frames colour scheme, there's something about it that makes a bike look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

CBOODDRIV_P1.jpg

Gaaaawwwd I'd love one of these...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

New wheels.
    IMAG5691.jpg

IMAG5692.jpg

IMAG5693.jpg

IMAG5694.jpg

IMAG5695.jpg

IMAG5696.jpg

IMAG5701.jpg

IMAG5705.jpg

It's the fat sister to Astra's weight-weenie.
    IMAG5706.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Raam wrote: »
    New wheels.
    IMAG5691.jpg

IMAG5692.jpg

IMAG5693.jpg

IMAG5694.jpg

IMAG5695.jpg

IMAG5696.jpg

IMAG5701.jpg

IMAG5705.jpg

IMAG5706.jpg

They've got the young un's seal of approval anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

You have a Park Tool scales.......what, just for the bikes ?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I always enjoy the pictures of Raam's kitchen.

It's a beauty! But 100gr skewers? Jeebus! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It's a beauty! But 100gr skewers? Jeebus! :p

Huh?

Huh?

256455.jpg

Yes? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

lovely bike Raam just as it is, was looking at something like this when i was in the market, lovely bikes.

Advertisement