Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NON-Sky Digital Experience Setup

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All great stuff to read and also that there are folks on this forum that know there is satellite apart from BSkyB, not just FTA but decent pay packages too.

Maybe I need to learn more languages. The drama on TV Polonia this morning (fri 6th feb 2004) with Peter Davidson (ex Dr.Who and All Creatures Great etc) looked really promising.... But I don't know any Polish.

Anyone know why some Polish stations show Polish Drama with ONSCREEN English subtitles? Sad person that I am I have enjoyed one or two, found by accident. How would I know when they are one either.

BR Alpha has a few interesting English language programs, but again I have never found a simple way of knowing when and what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Originally posted by byte
    Thanks for that. I cannot install new versions of DVB Viewer or any other DVB software due to my hardware restrictions :(

FWIW, I found ProgDVB to be far less resource hungry than DVBViewer. Was running smoothly with FTA channels on a P200, 48MB, 16MB Riva TNT, W98se. Too slow for decryption though.

Last weekend highlights:

Italia 1 / Mediaset1 : Asterix and the Great War. Feature length Animation, got used to the Italian after a while. Entire family watched. Perhaps if you have read enough of the books the film dialog is not *that* important. Actually last weekend there was a lot of good FTA films on Italian TV

Feed on Atlantic bird 1: NHL Ice hockey game in "PAL"

TopChannel: Chelsea Vs someone else English Football/soccer

"Fish video loop" on Astra 3A. I really thought 90cm was too small for German beam.

Various news feeds from USA/ Washington.

iFox Kids in English FTA with German subtitles

Some Polish Drama with English subtitles.

Film about Nazi's with very English actors, in English. Subtitles in some language I never seen (Turkish? Croatian?) on SES Sat 36W

Getting 18 birds on a 90cm "ex Lidl" 2 year old dish. The cheap Philips LNB (lidl) or 4 year Old Grundig (0.7) perform as well as a new MTI 0.6dB Blue line.

Last night / this morning, all 80/90cm ex lidl dish:

Telstar 12 @15W
    I find the MS-NBC feed marginal on my 90cm dish, but I may not be perfectly aligned.

Intelsat 901@18W seems to have one channel Prima = Channel 1 marked scrambled, but actually clear.

I think it is Romanian but most of the programs are in English, watched MutantX last night.

seems to be the olny ch on it

www.lyngsat.com for Freq, SR etc.

I was getting Channel 5 feeds on Telstar 11 last night, sound but no picture.

Atlantic bird 1 @ 12.5W
    Still the three feeds on one transponder and another transponder active but nothing is detected.
    One of the channels had NHL Ice hockey sunday night and this morning had caption refering to a future NHL feed.

Don't leave unlocked/undeleted channels on Hispasat 30W running late at night or you may lose your eyesight and have the receiver confiscated!

JSTV1 on Hotbird 13E is mostly encrypted but seen FTA occasioanl news in English.

MAC TV on 15W having english subtitles to stop motion animated story at breakfast time

DW TV 13E (analog and Digital) and NileTV International (13E Digital)) usually english news / magasine at Breakfast time.

Last night lots of football (soccer) on various channels on various birds. I no nothing about Football, so it might have been trival or important to fans.

Apparent intermittant "flicker" of signal on Arabsat 2B at 30E. Suspect this is really Eurobird @28.5E. Indeed a scan on the same settings on Eurobird gets intermittant flicker of signal and about 6+ channels with names like Channel<nn> (<nn> is a two digit number). I think Arabsat@30E is not receivable even on 1.2m dish

I think my mount may be 1 degree out, as almost all satellites give slight improvement if I adjust GOTO X offiset or "lie" and claim to be at 9W rather than 8.something.

I will examine on a weak channel like MS NBC or Prima

Wed night 11th Feb

11:15 pm Telstar 12 @ 15W: Persian VOA showing Wildlife program in "English" (Wife: "How can you call that American Drawl, English?")

Thurs 8.30 am, Telstar 12@ 15W: MS CNBC (labelled DAD) showing late night CNBC talk show. Musch stronger signal. I'm convinced the signal level on this transponder is varied according to size/location of a Dish "offically" needing to pick up the feed.

Still the fish video on Astra 3A test channel German beam.

Too busy to re-adjust dish yet. (Watching Strictly Ballroom on DVD and having party food / cake)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have:

1x 1metre dish
    1x cryptik diseqc 1.2 motor
    1x technomate 5000ci rxr with matrix cam and card soon to be dragon cam.

This is my first outing in the world of satellite and have to say it has been a great if sometimes annoying ride so far! Getting all I want from 30west to 42 east.

You should be getting easily 2 or 3 more birds more west than Hispasat30W.

I can't get past Telstar11 till I figure out adding birds via PC link.

Can you get 11495 H SR 19500 (North Spot Europe Beam) Telstar 11? It has supposedly Fox News clear . I'm geting 59% quality on the NTL/"Five" transponder "(Wide Bean), sound, no picture.
    ( 11534 V SR 25543 )

37.5W on a 80/90 cm dish ( http://www.lyngsat.com/37west.shtml) Scroll down past the C band and America beam stuff and look for Europe Ku Band 10.700 to 12.700 GHz.

The Europe beam on 43W looks possible and interesting. I'll try it when I figure how to add "missing" satellites. http://www.lyngsat.com/pas43.shtml

I think http://www.lyngsat.com/pas1r.shtml at 45W is the west most bird with a Europe beam. Perhaps CCTV4 and 6 feed channels possible, maybe even with 80cm.

http://www.lyngsat.com/i903.shtml at 34.5W has 1BBC feed and RTE feeds occasionally clear and reported in England on 1.2m dish.

The remaining possible Ku band Bird is feeds only http://www.lyngsat.com/i801.shtml at 31.5W
    Again clear feeds reported on Europe Beam transponder (BT feeds).

So SIX birds beyond Hispasat @ 30W that should be good on 1m and may be possible on 80cm. Certinally Telstar 11 comes in strong on my 80/90cm dish.

There indeed may be two birds possible in Ireland more east than Turksat, examining the beam maps via lyngsat.

From 1W and more West http://www.lyngsat.com/atlantic.shtml

And more east http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.shtml

North East of NI and Scotland one Transponder FTA on Intelsat 704@66E

In Limerick this is only about 1.5 degrees above horizon, so I'd imagine if it can be received ANYWHERE in ireland you talking at least 1.2m dish and some hieght / clear view.

Alpha TV on Intelsat 601/906 @ 64E looks possible on 70cm dish! Also many feeds on same beam.

Sky news and Fox feeds may be possible Intelsat902 @62E. Again very strong in Ireland according to map on Europe Beam (forget the Middle East beam!)

Intelsat 904 @ 60E not possible. Moscow and Kazakhstan beams only on Ku Band.

NSS 703@57E . Only one feed and a videoguard encrypted Star TV. But definately ought to be picked up on 1m, might be possible occasionally on 90cm.

Bonum1 @56E point East Russia, so forget it

ExpressAM 22 @ 53E is new. No channels listed. Looks possible http://www.rscc.ru/eng/zone17.html

am22-1t.gif

And
    am22-2t.gif

Or even in Cork/Waterford:
    am22-4t.gif
    (On a 1m dish?)

FII @ 48E nothing

Europe*Star @45E on the Europe Beam looks possible. Some channels and many feeds.

So not much more east than Turksat/Eurasiasat@42E (Only West Beam and S1 beams, the East Beam and S2 beam I'd say impossible in Ireland).

I darent go past 30west for the simple reason there is a matter of the dish coming through the roof!

Intelsat 901: Prima TV, MutantX in English

Channel 3 feed on Atlantic Bird 1 has PGA golf

Medya TV gone on all Satellites?. Caption in French and two other languages:

Medya-TV is a Kurdish station on Hotbird Digital and Analog, also on another satellite.

Last night & this moring (12th/13th Feb 2004) a caption replaces programming in 3 languages.

I think it says (in French) that "in order of the French Authorities the Transmission of Medya-TV is stopped"

Anyone know why, or why a kurdish station on two non-French satellites is closed? Are they uplinked from France and upset the French?

Is Medya-TV an organ of PKK ?

If Medya-TV is an organ of PKK, the sudden closure on several satellites can be understood.

The quote below is VERY understandable to someone like me from NI ("How can SF be in politics while having a private army?")
    • Recent Developments and Name Change to ‘KADEK’

Since Öcalan’s arrest, PKK has been trying to refrain from violent acts in accordance with its new policy called “Peace Initiative”, meant to support its quest for legitimacy.

The organization is concerned with appearing as a peaceful organization, specifically in Europe.

The recent decision for name change is yet another demonstration of this policy; with the organization announcing that it would no longer use the name PKK but rather would like to be known as a political party under the name ‘Kurdistan Freedom and Democracy Congress’ (KADEK).

However, despite the new rhetoric of PKK calling for peace and democracy, the organization has neither decommissioned its arms nor its militants have surrendered themselves to the Turkish justice authorities.

Even a close follow-up on the content of the media run by the organization reveals that the organization still keeps its armed forces. Osman Öcalan, brother of Abdullah Öcalan and member of the PKK-KADEK Presidential Council, openly boasted that the PKK is in a position to resort to violence any time and “paint the whole world in blood” in a recent live broadcast on Medya TV in June 2001

It is estimated that the organization still has about 5.000 armed terrorists, with 500 in Turkey, 500 in Iran and about 4.000 in northern Iraq under its command.

Given the situation, the organization’s recent policy change can be referred to as merely a make-up.

Furthermore, it is not possible and acceptable for a terrorist organization, that has resulted in so much grief and loss,

Why or How have the French closed this channel? Can someone close "your" channel tomorrow?

Sky is a Foriegn owned unregulated supplier of Satellite TV to Ireland. RTE/TG4 has no control over price / package.

Tuesday 17th Feb 2004

Sports on Atlantic bird 1 and Interviews at Yankee's Stadium

Various news feeds about attack in Iraq, first perhaps in Spanish then English on MSCNBC feed on Telstar 12@15W later regular MS-NBC programming

Film in English with perhaps Romanian subtitles on Channel1/Prima Intelsat 901

Reading a book so didn't spend much time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Hi,
    Nice to see what other satellites are being watched by board members.
    Setup here is 2x Nokia9500s and a Nokia Dbox2 (exPremiere world sub box) a 1.3m dish and diseq motor.One 80cm fixed dish for hotbird too..BBC Prime oh joy!

I got rid of sky box after the Astra 2D jump by the bbc.
    Down here i have Amos 4W booming in so I get a load of Ukraine and Hungarian and NovaTv Croatia..

But with dbox2 I watch Telenor package mainly, BB Sweden is most entertaining..

and on subject of 4:2:2. I have a scsi card and used it for a while with the 9500s, you cant watch realtime 4.2.2 only record it into pc.
    I used Vgrabber for this. You can however look at data feeds and watch the pc fill up with all sorts of nonesense...

Happy viewing.

TFJ @ 13E English movies with French Subtitles

26th Feb 2004

9.00 am ESA channel on Astra@19E. Interviews / presentation about Rosetta ESA comet mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

For everyone's interrested in news on sat channels: http://www.transponder-news.de/

New feed on Telstar11, strong signal. Still got Channel UK"Five" sound. Perhaps it is 422 video is why screen is blank, weak signal.

Telstar12 a channel called "New Channel" with PC screen and video running on Media Player.

ESA channel on Astra 19E supposed to show Rosetta Launch now. Must go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭halkar

1M Triax,
    Stab HH100,
    Finepass FSR-5000-TDR with 120GB Harddisk for PVR,

I get most of the birds from 8W to 45E and 30WHispasat, there is a house blocking after 12W to 30W but nothing interesting there for me :D Probably can go little beyond 30W too.

And I have sky for children channels :D

Boomerang was FTA for a couple of days on the FTA receiver but not the Digibox!

I got a new Diseqc motor, a Motek. I hope to have it fitted properly ASAP, but initial impressions:

* Lip on bottom of dish arm stops dish sliding off when adjusting it.

* Much better weatherproofing than some others

* Adjustable Software and physical limits on motor (East / West to avoid banging mast, wall etc).

* Up to a 1.2m Dish (but a 90cm is what I would recommend, the next usefull size is 1.4m really, in Mid West anyway)

* GOTO X / USALS feature makes use and alignment with Receiver that has the same function easy (10min install instead of 1hr + maybe 3hrs to find/store on old system).

* Very clear instructions and table of dish up/down tilt (motor elevation and Dish declination for how far north/south you live).

* Top end of speed possible with Motor powered from LNB coax. (approx 2 degree per second)

* Very clear scale for drive angle

* Clear center line to have dish mount straight on the motor's dish arm.

* Easy to fit pole brackets for fat enough pole for wind loading of a 1.2m dish (approx 1 ton at 50 mph)

* Good quality build

* High reliability "Hall Sensors" for limit switches instead of unreliable micro-switch or fragile reed switches.

* East and West movement enough for ALL satellites you can get even with 3m Dish (but don't put a 3m dish on it!). Amazingly some "H-H mount" motors have an arc too limited for Ireland, though they would be OK in England.

Available in Ireland at similar prices to mainland Europe. Probabily around the 100 Euro

Wondering how any of the people here are getting on with Arabsat @26east?

Arabsat 3 seems to give coverage of ireland. wondering f anyone has managed to get a lock on it? Will get off my ass and look for it tonight. Should be able to pick it up on my 1m.

kugt3.gif

maybe on east coast of Ireland. Signal drops rapidly as you go west from London.

Never got it here on 1m or 80/90cm

Note a 80/90cm will get in perfect clear sky with no ice crystals etc, what a 1.2m Dish will get during a solid high level rainfall of 1/2" per hour or so.

I get a few channels on SES Sat 36E and according to Satcodx you need 1.4m for that! (on 2 year old Lidl 80/90cm dish)

Also you get Fresnel zones at edge of main coverage where the reception goes up/down as you travel "outwards" till it finally drops off very rapidly.

So it can depend where you live. Even 5 miles more away can sometimes be OK, see Spanish / Gibralter reports on Sky's Astra 2D reception of BBC/ITV/RTE.

Advertisement