Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin Supplement Question?

Options
  • 25-01-2004 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Any1 got advice on vitamin supplement pills.....Any recommendations on a particular brand??? I want to take an all in one pill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Corksham

I personally take the Complete Multi Vitamins & Minerals A-Z from boots (buy 2 get 1 free as well:) ) . It has 100% RDA for most Vitamins and Minerals, not sure what the others offer but for me thats plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I take ABC plus supplements from Holland and Barrett (available in nature's way health shops for ~E5 for 100). Again they offer 100% RDA of most vitamins and minerals. As far as I know, Tesco also do a cheap and godd range of vitamins so they could be worth checking out as well. There's no need to spend a fortune on multivitamins such as multibionta, which I know isn't cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've always said if you're not getting the correct amount of vitamins in your diet then you need to change your diet, not pop pills.

Not to rain on anyone's parade or anything but unless you're actually suffering from symptoms of a vitamin deficiency, or have an illness that would benefit from them, you don't need supplements.

Most of the vitamin supplements you take are excreted anyway.
    For example, the recommended RDA for vitamin C is 60mg per day. (adults, except pregnant or lactating women)

Some supplement Vit C tablets have 1000mg. You're body will take around 60mg of that (Vit C is not stored in the body) and seeing as Vitamin C is water soluble, you pee the other 940mg out.
    Plus any more vit C you take in your diet.
    Obviously the RDA changes if pregnant or whatever but even if you double the RDA, you still pee out 9/10's of it.

Not here to cause an argument or anything, it's just my opinion that vitamin supplements are, for the most part, a big marketing gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Corksham

I'm not doubting your facts but is there a site that shows this information? if you are correct then sounds like they are a waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

okay, here's a link that shows that vitC is water soluble and not stored in the body.
    link
    So although you won't get hypervitaminosis from taking too much vitamin (unlike some others) there's little point taking if everyday

A product that contains 1000mg of VitC

Don't get me wrong, Vitamin C is a great antioxidant but unless you're sick, I wouldn't bother taking it everyday, have an orange or two and that's more than enough.
    There are calls to increase the RDA as many believe that 65 is about just enough to prevent scurvy (how many people who have terrible diets have scurvy? not many!)
    but if even if you quadruple the RDA, you're still peeing out 3/4 of a 1000mg tablet. Not to mention the VitC you get in your diet.

Don't get me wrong it does a huge amount of stuff for you body and is probably the best antioxident you can put into yourself. It does help with colds, skin healing, burns and general well-being.

But as I already said, if you're not getting the correct amount of vitamins and minerals in your diet then you need to change your diet, not take pills everyday for the rest of your life.

link
    link 2

• Advertisement
Advertisement