Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another line rental increase imminent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by wexfordman
    I would reckon its more down to the "economic feasibilty" of it!!!!, than any regulatory issues. (Seriously)
    How can it be economically feasible for oreillycom to do it, and not economically feasible for anyone else?

Unless the real reason that Line rental has gone up so much in the last few years is because of the demand for new lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

and the b@stards have the cheek to keep showing those adverts on TV of people wandering round merrion sq. saying how great oriellycom (kinda getting used to the new name, think it should stay) are and how they keep making things cheaper.

fvckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

We must complain to the ads watch body thing about misleading advertising by o'eircon :)
    Otherwise pray for widespread wireless alternatives !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Well I suppose we all suspected that something was gonna happen when Eircon announced a price cut in BB charges. Even the mention of Eircon price cuts is practically blasphemy.

It would be a pity if their mail boxes both landline and email were flooded. :rolleyes:

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

How can it be economically feasible for oreillycom to do it, and not economically feasible for anyone else?

Because €ircon likely have a nearer point of presence to these housing estates than any other provider. Its easy to cable a new estate, but how to connect that onto your backbone and to your nearest exchange is the problem, nuless you €IRCON and have a network cable running down every street in the country thanks to the taxpayer.

Wexfordman

(I'm not stalking you ripwave, honest :p )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ripwave
    I've asked this before and never got an answer. With 50,000 new homes being built every year, does anyone know why nobody else is supplying these wires?

Because Martin Cullen has done nothing about the recommendations to his department in this Report published 2 years ago.....which would ensure the provision of ducting to new developments thru which the wires could be pulled. The report is excellent and far sighted . Dermot Ahern is progressing his bit but Cullen is not. Point 47 explains how the government allocates funding nowadays. Point 48 is about the towns that will get fibre as announces in December 2003 .

Points 58-60 covers the missing bit , local ducting. Finger out Martin !

Does anyone know if there are any licensing provisions that prevent NTL, Chorus or ESAT, or anyone else for that matter, doing this?

All have the licences and some have WLL frequencies. Esat and Chorus have offered WLL in the past while NTL could have used their upgaded cable in SW Dublin to offer telephony, I am sure they have noted the fat line rental margins by now.

Money is the bigger problem ......but at €20 rental ex Vat for a line that may be found :D

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cullen hasn't a brain in his head, the eVoting debate proved that without a shadow of a doubt. I doubt you'd be able to explain telephones to him, never mind ducting. Lost cause.

adam

let Ripwave after him ...... it'll keep his mind off rural Ireland for a while :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

publicity, publicity and more publicity.

Thats the only way to get to them, they have free advertising
    every time they roll out McRedmond. He never actually answers
    a question...

So instead of sitting round here thinking up stuff maybe its time
    for a little action?
    Something to get noticed by the media and get us onto
    the front pages...

Whaddya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

There goes any hope that the new managment in Comreg would have more backbone than the old .... maybe IOFFL could send a picture of one to them, just so they'd know ... and possibly introduce them to the concept of adding the letters "N" and "O" together to create a word that they are seemingly unaware of....(with "fu*king way you muppets")
    Originally posted by bealtine
    Thats the only way to get to them, they have free advertising
    every time they roll out McRedmond. He never actually answers
    a question...
    Tis true, any time the fu*ker opens his gob its all over the papers, radio and news, and whoever is interviewing must have some contract (or orders) not to ask any probing questions ....
    Unfortunately any dissenting voice dosent seem to travel .... for instance, I didnt see that IOFFL press release anywhere other than here (didnt look very hard though it has to be said) ... this needs redressing, but its a very difficult proposition with people doing it parttime and that boll*x OReilly owning the media he does ....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Cullen hasn't a brain in his head, the eVoting debate proved that without a shadow of a doubt.
    Unfortunately, it's a bit like the Yellow Brick Road. The evoting issue simply demonstrates that you don't need to have a brain to be in Berties Cabinet.

quote:

So what is it, john.doherty@comreg.ie?

http://www.spacesciencegroup.nsula....s/backbone1.jpg

This post was brought to you by the letters 'N' and 'O'
    and the numbers 2 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

From this mornings indo..

Eircom gets call to explain third hike in a year
    Wednesday January 14th 2004

EIRCOM and telecoms watchdog ComReg are to be called before a Dail committee to explain why the phone company has been granted a third price increase in less than a year.

Last night it emerged that the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources will call on the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) and Eircom to explain the price increase.

Chairman Noel O'Flynn (FF) said the decision by Eircom to raise charges required an explanation and the committee would call for clarification from both ComReg and the company.

"There are questions to be asked here how they could justify the third increase in less than 12 months - it defies logic," he said.

"We have to seek clarity from ComReg in relation to the fixed line business. I would think the committee would be very concerned about the rise in telephone line rental charges, and would consider this is too important to put on the long finger."

Yesterday the company announced a monthly increase of €1.68 for line rental charges from February 4 next. This will bring the line rental charge to just over €24 a month, including VAT, the third increase in charges since the start of last year.

Eircom defended the hike, saying customer's phone bills would come in cheaper in 2004 than last year once inflation was taken into account.

The hikes emerged just 24 hours after the company announced a reduction in the cost of some broadband services. Sources in the Department of Communications said there was a "certain amount of annoyance" that broadband charges were reduced while fixed line rental was increased.

Eircom was "knocking people over the head", one said, adding that the cut in broadband was effectively being negated by the line rental increase.

And the increase will cost Irish telephone users an estimated €28m this year, Fine Gael claimed last night.

"Ireland is struggling to remain competitive as a destination for investment," Simon Coveney (FG) said. "The cost of telecommunications is a vital factor to Ireland's competitiveness. It is difficult not to question whether there is any connection between the reduction in wholesale broadband products and the increase in line rental charges."

Chairman of the Consumer's Association of Ireland, Michael Kilcoyne, said the company had already secured two increases in the past year, and "hard pressed consumers should not be asked to dip their hands in their pockets again".

Esat BT described the increase as "pretty staggering" - and if the rise was applied to other household bills, the "nation would be up in arms".

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Had a conversation with Comreg this morning to highlight some of the points made in this thread

1) Using line rental hikes allows Eircom to undercut their competitors on call rates

2) 3 Increases and a) no single billing b) still allowed to insert pairgains c) 0k internet access.

On the last point the person I was talking to admitted that there was currently no defined rate but that they were negotiating with Eircom and by the end of the year hoped to have a rate which would be greater than what existed before, even perhaps higher than the UK's.

At this point I pointed out how lame Comreg had been in forcing Eircom to do anything and doubted that they would achieve anything. She said my concerns would be passed on to management. I can hardly wait :).

One thing I would suggest is that anyone who has not registered their opposition to this increase with Comreg should do so, they should be in no doubt about the depth of anger about this.

M.

Originally posted by Cuauhtemoc
    Chairman Noel O'Flynn (FF) said the decision by Eircom to raise charges required an explanation and the committee would call for clarification from both ComReg and the company.
    And the increase will cost Irish telephone users an estimated €28m this year, Fine Gael claimed last night.

"Ireland is struggling to remain competitive as a destination for investment," Simon Coveney (FG) said. "The cost of telecommunications is a vital factor to Ireland's competitiveness. It is difficult not to question whether there is any connection between the reduction in wholesale broadband products and the increase in line rental charges."
    Talk about not seeing the woods for the trees.

Valentia took €446 million in cash out of the company as a "dividend" last year.

The total amount of income that oreillycom receives in Line rental is LESS than the amount that was taken out of the company last year.

100,000 Broadband lines at a retail price of €33 (plus VAT) per month, will generate less that €40 million in revenue in a year. Broadband is a distraction. Oreillycom would love to have been able to amke both announcements on the same day, but even when they're made over two days, you're playing right into their hands by somehow linking broadband "cuts" and Line Rental increases. That's exactly what oreillycom want you to do, so that you'll ignore the elephant hiding in the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Mr_Man

One thing I would suggest is that anyone who has not registered their opposition to this increase with Comreg should do so, they should be in no doubt about the depth of anger about this.

M.

Curiously I can't find an e-mail addy for direct interface with comreg about comreg....wonder why.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Joe Duffy is doing a big thing on this today. I going to be on. They rang me yesterday but didn.t get to it till today.

1850 715815

Get crackin.

I'm going to be talking about the Comreg agreement, split lines and no required standard for your money. Knowing me when I start there'll be a few dozen more things thrown in.

We can have a "spot Valentia" competition!

The total amount of income that oreillycom receives in Line rental is LESS than the amount that was taken out of the company last year.
    100,000 Broadband lines at a retail price of €33 (plus VAT) per month, will generate less that €40 million in revenue in a year. Broadband is a distraction. Oreillycom would love to have been able to amke both announcements on the same day, but even when they're made over two days, you're playing right into their hands by somehow linking broadband "cuts" and Line Rental increases. That's exactly what oreillycom want you to do, so that you'll ignore the elephant hiding in the corner.

JUst doing some sums here, someone point out where I'm worng (no way am I going to say I'm right just so I can have ye all tell me I'm not).

Cost of Increased line rental is estimated to cost consumers 28million this year (as above post)

Recent reduction in eircom BB (retail) from 54 to 40 euros, means saving of €168 per cust.
    100,000 BB cust aim for €ircon, means BB price reduction costs €ircon €16.8 million (wow!!!)

€28mill - €16.8mill = €11.2 mill for €ircons coffers. (I know there is some VAT here too, but still.....)

€uess who's laughing all the way to the bank this week.

Wexfordman

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/afternoon/liveline/

IrelandOffline members rarely have an opportunity to hit the mainstream media hard on these issues, so you should take maximum advantage and show RTE just how contentious this one is. Get calling, emailing and texting straight away and tell them just how ticked off you are, it won't take but a minute and you never know, you might even get on the radio. Come on now, flood them lines, take over the programme, force McRedmond onto the air with IrelandOffline!

adam

• Advertisement

Here in PDF format.

Voicemail charges have also risen.

The new BB charges are not there yet .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Comreg are going to be on Liveline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GerKavanagh

Ok, let's assume that the guy in Comreg is a moron so -- does IrelandOffline know what's in this delightfully woody metaphor?

It's amazing that everyone is taking an interest now that eircom have anounced an increase in line rental. Where was everyone when comreg had a public consultation on this?
    As far as I'm concerned eircom should not have been allowed a price increase and I voiced my concerns in the public consultation, what have any of ye done? Comreg published their decision notice months ago so why are any of ye surprised that this has happened?
    If I we're you I would read up on this instead of voicing opinions which are too little too late!
    It seems proactivity is your middle name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Fair enough point as far it goes,

Most of the IrelandOffline committee has answered a few COMREG consultations in our time, which amounts to quite a few for a voluntary organistation. We collectively came to the conculsion that our time was more wisely invested in lobbying the various government departments involved as this seemed to produce more results. Responding t0 the various COMREG consultations represented a significant drain on our resources for precious little return.

The put the point mildly, we found COMREG at best un-responsive to the concerns of the consumer. Perhaps we should re-examine this under the tenure of Mr. O'Doherty ... :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Whats really annoys me is when Esat BT launched their Eur25 a month flat rate deal, Eircom said no-one would save - why? - because the average household spend on calls a month is less then Eur20. Take the average Eircom Customer, spending Eur10 a month on calls only. 1 year ago, line rental was just Eur16 a month. Therefore they would pay Eircom Eur26 a month. Assume this customer leaves Eircom, with the new line rental, they will have to pay almost Eur25 a month without making a single phone call - Eircom are still profiting......grrrrr

Originally posted by GerKavanagh
    Where was everyone when comreg had a public consultation on this?
    As far as I'm concerned eircom should not have been allowed a price increase and I voiced my concerns in the public consultation, what have any of ye done?
    Other than making you feel good about getting it off your chest, do you think your contribution made any difference? (I'm not nit-picking. I genuinely want to know. Did you get a response from ComReg. Were your concerns reflected in the Decision notice? Or were you comments filed in the "not another f*cking consumer" file, which seems to be the tome of almost any communication between ComReg and consumers).

I'm with utvipxl and I just got my bill of 79quid for the month (inc 10 eruo utv package). THat on top of 24quid rental, makes me spend over 1200 euro on landline only per year. I was going to go to EsatBT, but just broke down the calls (as Esatbt offer only includes landline, and excludes internet), here goes:-

Landline calls 28euros (could have saved 3 quid on this with Esat BT)
    02 Mobile numbers 31 quid
    Vodavone Mobile NUmbers 8 quid
    Internet (21hours at 10 euro flat fee)
    Other (international) 3quid
    Rental (now 24quid).

1200 quid a year, I can take a hit out on someone for that!!!!!!! Who was saying prices have fallen by 40%

Wexfordman

quote:
    Originally posted by GerKavanagh

It's amazing that everyone is taking an interest now that eircom have anounced an increase in line rental. Where was everyone when comreg had a public consultation on this?

Well they tend to ignore everyting except what that poor little broke
    oreillycom wants...
    I responded to the consultation and got some standard crap
    back and it was promptly ignored...

It (Comreg) is simply a "rubber stamping operation" for oreillycom

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Whats really annoys me is when Esat BT launched their Eur25 a month flat rate deal, Eircom said no-one would save - why? - because the average household spend on calls a month is less then Eur20.
    Do you have a reference for this? (I'm not questioning you, I'd just love to be able to provide this info to people in the media who might get to talk to someone from oreillycom).
    Take the average Eircom Customer, spending Eur10 a month on calls only. 1 year ago, line rental was just Eur16 a month.
    It was €16.20 plus VAT, the customer paid €19.60 per month. It'll be 23% higher from February 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/afternoon/liveline/

Anyone else getting an error message connecting?

Advertisement