Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Food

Options
  • 20-12-2003 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Recently bought a load of food there in Lidl well I will never forget it as long as I live it was Gross (my opinion)

I dont know what it was but it tasted strange obviously most of it wasnt produced in Ireland but still.... it was produced in Germany(E.U) etc so I persumed it would taste like food. It didnt it tasted weird...............

Any1 else know what Im talking about????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

well what kind of stuff did u get like? That where i do all my shopping and i have got some foods there that were pretty rough, but for the most part they're fine. U can actually bring back all the stuff u didn't like and they will give u a full refund. I think u might have just bought some bad stuff, as i said what kinda stuff did u buy??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by limerickbabe
    Any1 else know what Im talking about????
    Well we would if you told us.

Tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 limerickbabe

feta cheese tasted like lard

hotdogs tasted like c**p

hot cup soups tasted like biddys surf

my fella enjoyed the tinned mandrins i enjoyed the cheap sannys!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What's a "sanny"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sanitation Towel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by limerickbabe
    hotdogs tasted like c**p

hot cup soups tasted like biddys surf
    I hope you aren't talking from experiance :eek:

Anyway I got a can of tinned fruit - haven't oppened it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Most of their food tastes of crap I got some 'Salame' cheap Spanish tosh UGHH it was like eating plastic, after a couple of secs chewing you wanted to get sick:mad:. From now on I'll stick to proper Italian food, stay true to my roots :D, it costs more but it's worth it!.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a reminder that the following brands are NOT Italian.

Roma
    Ragu
    Dolmio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I am a regular shopper in Lidl.
    Some of their stuff I would never buy:
    Milk (Achtung!)
    Pasta Sauces
    Butter etc.

But there are some perfectly good foods there:
    Vegetables - Perfect. Actually better than Tescos/Dunnes although I release there probably Germatically Modified or something!
    Cold/Frozen Meats - Large Chicken, Chicken Fillets, Darnes of Salmon, Pork Chops - all perfect.
    Pasta - Perfect
    Wine - Is ok.
    Beer - Again ok I guess. I wouldnn't be a big Lager drinker.

Personally I'm happy to go there. I definately get way more value for my €€€ and it keeps up some healthy competition with Tesco's and Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

limerickbabe I agree about the cup a soups. There were really bad.

I thought the feta cheese was ok myself I had worse from both dunnes and tesco.

I find Lidl good for a few things I normally get ripped off on in other stores such as Tesco and Dunnes.

What’s good:

Offer of the week (IE DVD player, HiFi, laptop, etc)
    Vegs/Fruits
    Cheese (Mature Cheddar)
    Rice/Pasta/Noodles
    Cold Meats
    Bread (Their white slice pan is really much better tan others, IE it does not shrink or fall apart when toasted.)
    Basic toiletries (Bleach, Floor cleaners, etc.)
    Prawns
    Sweets/Savoury
    Cheap booze

What to avoid:
    All Food Sauces
    Personal Hygiene (Never skimp on these products)
    Frozen Food
    Tinned food (why eat food out of tins anymore)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i second the cheese

got some smoked gouda there before and it was beautful. it made the worlds finest toasted cheese and ham sambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

It`s funny... probably the reason is that much of the stuff is german, and german people have a slightly different taste then the irish...

A German would never eat baked beans, and there are loads of things Irish wouldn`t touch from the germans...

I think it is just that taste differs...I like products at Dunnes, but I don`t like similar products at Tesco... but that doesn`t mean that the Tesco Items are inferior... they are just not to my taste, someone else might love them...

In Germany there is an Institution called Stiftung Warentest which tests, tries and compares all sorts of Products, and very often Lidl and Alde come out much better then more Expensive Brands.

Another thing is, that loads of aldi and Lidl Products are in Fact Brand Products in different packing... they buy overproduction from famous brands or just products in huge amounts, and get them therfore for a cutprice.

You would be surprised sometimes to find out which brands are really behine Aldi and Lidl Packaging...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I must admit that I don't like the feta cheese from Lidl, but on the other hand, they do have great mozzarella, very handy for when you're making pizzas. And it's only 79c per bag. They also have great edam, and their super value blocks of cheddar aren't bad either.

You just have to get used to shopping there and you'll learn to avoid certain things. (Pasta in a can from Aldi being one of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

The German beer Bergadlier (I think) in a brown bottle is excellent. I know lots of people who swear by it ......... ! 4.9%

Plus the Australian Shiraz Kookaburra is fantastic value for the 5.69 price.

The one thing I object to is, even though Lidl is cheap, they are still screwing us as all the other supermarkets.

6 bottles of Bergadlier is 6.99 here, but in Spain it is 2.99, there is no way there is 4 euros of a tax difference.

Hmm thought they were Swedish rather than German - but I suppose it's a matter of taste.

Actually what supprised me was that there were more recognisable brands than I'd thought there'd be.

RE: Pasta in a can from Aldi - reminds me of "The Jerk" pizza in a cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

2L bottle of Irish Spring water from Lidl: €0.45 (22.5c per litre)

500ml bottle of Irish Spring water from Centra: €1.30 (€2.60 per litre)

Go Lidl! - for prices more ten times cheaper than Centra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 limerickbabe

Their special once off offers are great value (im not a great fan of their food)

Gotta bread making machine a few weeks ago twas brill Ill never buy bread again it was 49 euro well worth it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Don't touch the tinned beans. Absolutely awful - they tasted off curry or nutmeg or something I just can't put my finger on.

However, for staples such as dried pasta, tinned toms, veg and cheese you can't go wrong. The frozen pizzas (Margarita & Salami) were a pleasant surprise - just throw a bit more of the aforementioned cheese on board and you're away.

Have to be a bit careful with the wines. The Australian Shiraz is nice and so's a french table wine they do - but I forget the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

only good things from Lidl
    The juices
    The veggies
    and the wine.... (Y)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Lidl food stinks all imports from god knows where..............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Their Earl Grey tea is very good as are many of their biscuits and chocolates. They used to do delicious Bratwurst (sausage) too but, alas, they seem to have stopped providing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

their peanuts are nice and cheap .99c for a pack of pistachios(sp) and around the same for cashew nuts!!! and the chocolate is very very nice aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

my mum buys washing powder, fabric softener, frozen foods, bread, juice, veg+wine from Aldi and its fine! Aren't Lidl and Aldi the same!!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

some of their food is nice, pistachios for instance! Their meat is ****e, i'm sure their "steak" is actually horse meat. Their wine is crap though, those bottles of premium pills aren't the worst. Their veg is fine and their cheese is yummy.

I've tried Aldi wines and they're nice! There's one bottle of wine we get out there all the time and its beautiful its red and called "OAKRIDGE"! YUMMMY!

i had some scummy red wine from lidl that made me teeth go black, had to brush em five times to get rid of the colour. :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Some of the Aldi pizza's are absolutely incredible. As good as if not better than some Goodfellas.

And Aldi and Lidl are not the same. Once heard the story that they were brothers who were really competitive. Dunno how true it is though.

Oh .............. duh! I thought they were the same
    And Aldi and Lidl are not the same. Once heard the story that they were brothers who were really competitive. Dunno how true it is though.
    I'm new at this! how do I quote someone and say who said it? Thanks

Alot of cork people i know are convinced that aldi and lidl are the same, well they're NOT. Actually now that i'm at it, every cork person i know thinks Shannon is in Limerick too. Well it's not. It's in Clare god damnit, 21 kilometres from limerick to be EXACT! Does anyone know when Lidl are going to be offering the surround sound speakers while we're on about lidl food?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Originally posted by Pinkchick03
    I'm new at this! how do I quote someone and say who said it? Thanks

Bottom right of each post, the little QUOTE link will do ya.

<on topic> I got the aldi surround speakers. Not great. The subwoofer is pathetic tbh.

Advertisement