Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who is the greatest rapper of all time

Options
  • 15-12-2003 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

who is the greatest : tupac, chuck d, rakim,krs one,jammy jay, rza, big daddy kane, q-tip,slick rick, mc ren ,ice -t,nas,afrika,biggie, ice cube, killah priest ,who??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

ME!

But you just don't know it because i'm so fucking underground it's unreal!! Even though I try to keep it real. All my bitches an boiiiis know me as ice man. Ice Cube Ice T and vanilla ice all took their name from me. Even snowman was trying to copy my shit!

Anybody who disagree....fuckin' playah hatah's!!

(\/\/) west side (\/\/)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bit of a useless thread. What makes a rapper great? From stuff I've heard my absolute favourite is Tupac.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Tupac

His rhyme's were deep and he was a real poet with his lyric's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 www_dot_com

tupac was good but he isnt the best , he was just glorified when he died

Who's the best? Nas, Pac or big? Aint no best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Will Smith tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

I would have to say either Eminem/Tupac or BIGGIE.

Not much of a contest. Those three were/are hot as ****.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I would say eminem but only because his lyrics are cool. Nearly all other rappers write all their songs bout the same thing which is way too ****in' boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 www_dot_com

how can u say eminem go out and buy some rakim , krs one , jammy jay , slick rick , evil r , too short , sas , killah priest, b.d.k. , mc ren , d.o.c. , daz , u all are not real rap fans just fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I really do hate the thought that a few people out there (not saying on these boards) think that the best rapper was tupac. 2p did have good lyrics and did flow, but he methods of producing them were poor. The sound that guy emitted with he opens his mouth is almost as bad as Dmx(my vote for worst rapper). Tupac unlike other MCs had the ability to rap about more than one subject and do it well, be it love, hate, hit mother or best friend. The contrasts between alot of his songs is mind boggling. Ranging from such pure love to menacing hate. I think that he needs to be put under theoropy, not infront of a mic!

I dont think tupac was the greatest rapper of all times, i never bought a record from him, but i admit he is good, and had one or two songs i like.

Now, onto contrast again... One rapper that i hate - wish was never around, imo is one of the best rappers there is/was/ever will be. Eminem has his own style which alot of poeple are trying to replicate. And dont say they aint, because its being done all the time. Eminem has the ability to rap about anything off the top of his head. Look into getting some of his battles because he tares lumps out of everyone that comes near him. There is also a track out there where some guy says random things like in the super-natural show? except eminem doesnt repeat rhyms or go off the subject as soon as he made the word rhyme. Eminem was in the middle of a rap, when one guy screamed out 'mark Whalburg'(not sure of the spelling) and eminem went for about 5 minz taring lumps into mark. It was great.

Im not gonna tell you who i thnk is the best rapper of all time i cba going on for so long about how great he is :P Just thought id shed a lil light on those two rappers who people hate/love :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I would have to say Skilo. His lyrics were like butter on toast...

"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a balla'...."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ice Cube does it for me. He had witty lyrics, and actually rapped about something other than himself. Couple that with some great beats and it makes for good listening. One of my fav's is "When Will They Shoot"

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah Ice Cube is good. I really love "Friday" (both song and film), and "Today was a good day". I also really like tupac, but i'll be honest. I like him more for the films he did than as a rapper. As Reddy said, he had talent and style and the ability to rap about anything, but some of his songs, they just go through my head like a spike!!

Eminem is great. Goes a bit OTT sometimes, and his voice can also piss ya off, but you gotta admit he's doing what nobody else has done before and he should be respected for that.

Other rappers I have liked over the years wouldn't even go down as decent rappers in your minds i'd suppose. People like Everlast (house of pain). About 90% of the Wu Tang Clan :D. Naughty by nature used to be good. Actually i'm drunk right now so i'm finding it hard to remember most of the talent i've liked over the years. I REALLY loved arrested development. They had some great tunes and some really meaningful lyrics. For a few years they were my fav rap artists. "

Oh yeah though, but the best RAP ARTIST of all time ---- MICHAEL JACKSON!!! (i'm on about the rap sheet he's about to get which will end up as long as his arm :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I quite like Sadat X actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

mc ren , d.o.c. , daz , u all are not real rap fans just fake

Dude, you have MC Ren in that list.
    o_0

In order:
    Run DMC (whole group)
    Dr Dre
    El - Producto

For the simple fact that each of them pushed the "movement" (I feel like a KRS disciple) forward in their music.
    Maybe their not the best lyricists, but they've done enough in trying to keep Hip Hop new and alive, rather then getting stuck in one style.

The best though?
    Aesop Rock.
    His lyrics are top notch (Greatest Pac Man Victory Ever is just insane!), he's becoming a pretty f*'ed up producer (always a good thing) and his own style of rapping is something you won't hear anwhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I would say it's a throw-up between RAKIM and Nas.

Nas exploded like 13 years ago, and since then almost everyint has stolen his style
    (Jay-Z being the most noicable, listen to some really old Jay-Z it was almost like dancehall or regge, he totally stole Nas' style after Illmattic came out).

And RAKIM is just amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Spirit

Chuck D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

the poet that is tupac!
    if biggy had not died, i might put him up there, but he doesnt have enough material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nokia CR

eminem/tupac

Just wondering, I've asked this question on a few other boards before just cause I've never really understood why.

Why is Tupac so well liked?
    I mean, no offense, but his lyrics aren't exactly the best of the best, his flows are damn fine I'll agree with that sure but...

Is it purely because he was shot that made him a legend?

• Advertisement

there's a reason why he's so well liked, and its not just one thing..
    its everything about him!
    his black panther roots mean he was a role model and spokesperson for so many black americans.
    he has so many different types of songs, from love longs and poems to gangsta raps to hip hop classics.
    his voice (in my opinion) is melodic, it just flows from word to word and kinda entrances you at times.
    he ALWAYS spoke his mind!
    i suppose it helps that he is dead, i mean how many times do you listen to a song like cali love or picture me rollin or (like im listenin2now) changes and just think "damn, what would the WHOLE rap industry be like now if he was still alive and makin (fresh) material?" i know i do all the time! and i think if he WAS still here, rap music would be quite different
    thats simpy just how influential pac was, and probably always will be

thats my opinion, what y'all else think?

¬hacksaw

*wipes brow*

Been banned from a forum for asking that question before, cheers for the nice reply.

It's not that I mean to disrespect the guy it's just I've never really listened to anything by him and thought "Damn, that's fuc*ing hot man!"

I'll check more of his stuf fout though, is the Greatest Hits album actually worth getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

his greatest hits album is good, but i think all eyez on me is actually better. :)

I liked his Makaveli album the best 'The 7 day theory'. I dunno, Krazy, White Manz World and Hold your head are amongst my favourite songs ever. Pick that one up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Thug Life is my favourite.
    10 good songs and no stupid intros/interludes or filler.
    I don't really listen to any of his stuff anymore though. That said, How Do You Want It was on MTV Base tonight and you can't help but just sit there and watch it.

yeah, i agree, i listened to greatest hits once, but just didnt agree that the tracks chosen (probably by suge knight, the f*cker) are his best, so have never listened to it since
    if u dont have all eyes, get it, 2 cds of quality rappin!
    makaveli is cool too, (esp. "toss it up"!!!) and i like still i rise(2pac + outlawz)
    i have to say ive never been too much into his earlier albums, but thats just a personal taste on the style of production,they still gave good rappin!
    (i should really start listening to them more!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Snoop mother fúcking Dee Oh double Gee

Are you taking the piss?

:D

Anyone heard that song he's done with Fred Durst?
    Truely, a more brutal emcee there never has been.

'Cept maybe Vanilla Ice.

Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mc hammer
    nuff said

Advertisement