Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern to announce EUR140m State broadband initiative

Options
  • 12-12-2003 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Irish Times, Friday 12 December 2003

Communications minister Mr Ahern will today announce details of a €140 million plan to make high-speed telecommunications technology available to more than 350,000 people around the State.

The initiative will involve connecting 80 towns with populations varying between 1,500 and 16,700 through a broadband network and funding group broadband schemes for smaller communities where there is enough demand for the service.

The Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources has approval to spend a total of €140 million on the project between now and 2007. This will represent a spend of €35 million a year. Mr Ahern last week secured an extra €105 million for the scheme from the Government.

Under the plan, the Government will pay to connect the towns with the backbone broadband network. Telecoms providers will then be able to lease the lines at competitive rates and sell the services to consumers and business.

The current metropolitan area networks scheme, which involves 19 towns, is set to be completed in the middle of 2005 at a cost of €64 million. However, the Minister says he does not believe this goes far enough on delivering broadband to the State as a whole.

Mr Ahern will unveil details of the plan at a meeting of the Information Society Commission in Government Buildings later today. The largest town to benefit from the scheme will be Newbridge in Co Kildare, which has a population of 16,739; the smallest will be Moate, Co Westmeath.

The scheme will cover all towns with populations of more than 1,500 - 88 in all - and the list includes most sizeable settlements not included in the metropolitan area networks programme. The Department has also agreed to fund group broadband schemes for smaller communities. This will allow residents and businesses in these areas to pool their demand. The Department will provide half the cost of connecting these areas.

[edit]DeV - support UTF-8. You know it makes sense![/edit]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Sounds very like our chairman's objective mapped out last summer at the AGM, On the radio he compared the group scheme to the group water scheme of old. I wonder whether did I hear that before Xian? ;)

So will it work? Is €35m for 4 years enough to connect the 88 towns and to facilitate the smaller group schemes?

How will they actually do the work? Hand out the cash to local authorities? If so have they learnt enough from the MANs project how to spend it?

Will Councils also be responsible for the group scheme? Will there be a communications strategy to trigger demand for the group scheme? Sounds like a job for IOFFL perhaps? Though I bet the BMW and South and East Regional Authorities will fancy themselves to do this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Ahern was interviewed this morning on Radio 1 - i'd imagine RTÉ will put it on their website later today.

Do we have a list of the towns covered yet then??

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Ahern was interviewed this morning on Radio 1 - i'd imagine RTÉ will put it on their website later today.

Do we have a list of the towns covered yet then??
    Yep it will be downloadable from around 9.30

In principle "all towns" will be covered by one scheme or the other going by the way they are spinning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Yep it will be downloadable from around 9.30
    From the department's website?

viking

Edit: Up now here

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1212/morningireland.html
    Listen to the bottom item main business news with Robert Shortt

also found this comment on the RTE print report on the story:
    Mr Ahern also intends to bring in tougher fines for telecommunications companies that breach the law with fines equal to 10% of total revenue envisaged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

http://www.onbusiness.ie/2003/1212/broadband.html
    The Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources Dermot Ahern is to announce a major initiative later today to roll out broadband to 80 towns across the country.

This is in addition to the 19 towns covered by the Metropolitan Area Network.

Annual funding of €35m a year for the next four years has been set aside for the project where local communities will be funded for up to 50% of a Group Broadband Scheme.

Mr Ahern also intends to bring in tougher fines for telecommunications companies that breach the law with fines equal to 10% of total revenue envisaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its a relaunch of Phase 2 of Mary O'Rourkes fibre rings project .The phasing is Here . It is not new but a re-announcement.

What is new is that Wireless groups will be recognised . Good one Dermot and fair play for that.

Phase 1 is nearing completion (19 Towns + Kiltimagh)

Phase 2 is being announced again today (another 48 towns)

(That makes 67 + Kiltimagh = 68)

I assume that certain Louth towns that were originally in Phase 3 have been upgraded :D to phase 2

The ORIGINAL anouncements back in 2002 that were in

http://www.gov.ie/tec/press02/March8th2002.htm

and

http://www.athlone.ie/broadband/Broadband_press_release.htm

have been ASSIDOUSLY removed from the Athlone and Government websites, funny that. Mary O'Rourke never existed it seems.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Sounds like a job for IOFFL perhaps? Though I bet the BMW and South and East Regional Authorities will fancy themselves to do this...
    Shannon Broadband too.

The BMW can't even finish Ballyhaunis I hear the Comptroller and Auditor General could be taking an interest in the BMW and its monitoring of expenditure , they are unfit to be given any responsibility for a dig of any sort given the funds involved IMO .

Shannon Broadband have managed to do a large project in Limerick on time and on Budget , is that what we are really saying TheGills :D . ?!??

M

Shannon Broadband have managed to do a large project in Limerick on time and on Budget , is that what we are really saying TheGills
    Early days Muck but looking good.

thegills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well im in phase 3....2010...christ on a bike...2010 for broadband....

so all towns over 1,500 my arse......

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Since a number of the towns in phase two are already BB enabled will this mean that more towns from phase 3 will be added to phase two, or will they replicate what is already in place ?

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Link

Don't know if the guid will still be valid...

<Edit: Fixed your link :) -Moriarty>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

The list of towns is herehere a 1.8mb word doc just to encourage the take up of broadband

Weird.

From the Department Website here is a list of Towns which WILL NOT get DSL or MAN .

These towns are not in the original list of 19 towns which get the Fibre (MAN referred to below)

Lots of these have DSL though, Cavan Monaghan Skerries Oranmore and Athenry are here. On face value these look like towns which will get nothing from the Department. Dunno who will get something or what the criteria are .

Proposed Towns not covered for DSL or MAN's
    Town Population CSO 2002 Town Population CSO 2002
    1 Cavan 6,098 45 Kilcock 2,740
    2 Monaghan 5,936 46 MuineBheag(Bagenalstown) 2,728
    3 Newbridge 16,739 47 Ballyshannon 2,715
    4 Carrigaline 11,191 48 Clara 2,704
    5 Maynooth 10,151 49 Kilrush 2,699
    6 Cobh 9,811 50 Charleville 2,685
    7 Skerries 9,149 51 Monasterevin 2,583
    8 Tramore 8,305 52 Newtownmountkennedy 2,521
    9 Midleton 7,957 53 Blessington 2,509
    10 Longford 7,557 54 Rathcoole 2499
    11 Youghal 6,597 55 Lusk 2,456
    12 Nenagh 6,454 56 Tullow 2,417
    13 Trim 5,894 57 Templemore 2,270
    14 Kildare 5,694 58 Boyle 2,205
    15 Laytown- Bettystown 5,597 59 Kinsealy-Drinan 2,110
    16 Carrick-on-Suir 5,586 60 Duleek 2,173
    17 Dunboyne 5,363 61 Castleisland 2,162
    18 Buncrana 5,271 62 Athenry 2,154
    19 Tipperary 4,964 63 Blarney 2,146
    20 Fermoy 4,804 64 Claremorris 2,101
    21 Passage West 4,595 65 Skibbereen 2,000
    22 Roscrea 4,578 66 Clones 1,947
    23 Edenderry 4,559 67 Enniskerry 1,904
    24 Birr 4,436 68 Kenmare 1,844
    25 Kells 4,421 69 Bundoran 1,842
    26 Clane 4,417 70 Dingle 1,828
    27 Newcastle West 4,017 71 Rathangan 1,811
    28 Loughrea 4,004 72 Castlerea 1,788
    29 Portarlington 4,001 73 Gort 1,776
    30 Ardee 3,948 74 Dunmore East 1,750
    31 Carrickmacross 3,832 75 Coothill 1,744
    32 Donabate 3,854 76 Portrane 1,726
    33 Ratoath 3,794 77 Oranmore 1,692
    34 Ballybofey3,603 78 Abbeyfeale 1,683
    35 Kinsale 3,554 79 Carndonagh 1,673
    36 Mountmellick 3,361 80 Bailieborough 1,660
    37 Mitchelstown 3,300 81 Kanturk 1,651
    38 Bantry 3,150 82 Balinrobe 1,626
    39 Dunshaughlin 3,063 83 Thomastown 1,600
    40 Castleblaney 2,936 84 Banagher 1,553
    41 Sallins 2,922 85 Athboy 1,538
    42 Kilcoole 2,826 86 Dunmanway 1,532
    43 Cahir 2,794 87 Prosperous 1,523
    44 Cashel 2,770 88 Moate 1,520

M

I think what they mean is these are towns not covered by DSL or MANs already

This is the list of towns to be covered over the next 4 years in the scheme allright.

Edit: In fact it is the full list of not yet served Irish towns with a pop of more than 1500. If your town ain't listed and has a bigger pop now is your time to go mental.

If you are less than 1500 pop then there will also be the group data thingy option.

What group broadband scheme in a small community is going to have 50% of the cost of a base station (site rental, build costs, etc.) as well as a costly backbone (Muck what does an E1 cost from eircom), not to mention the CPE costs and on-going annual costs?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by thegills
    What group broadband scheme in a small community is going to have 50% of the cost of a base station (site rental, build costs, etc.) as well as a costly backbone (Muck what does an E1 cost from eircom), not to mention the CPE costs and on-going annual costs?????

Answer: Little to none.

Hmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

my town isnt listed there, and it has more than 2,000 people.. carrigtohill in cork.

what the hell am i gonna do? being waiting so long for broadband already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It looks good from a quick read, here are the key elements they have listed..
    The key elements of the Broadband Action Plan are
    • connecting 80 towns of 1,500 population to broadband with Community Broadband Exchanges and strategic fibre
    • a new Group Broadband Scheme similar to group water schemes where smaller rural communities can pool their demands and secure high speed connectivity from a range of providers in the Irish market through grants from the Government
    • a spend of €140 million from Government committed under Multi-Annual Budget approval representing €35 million annually between now and 2007
    • tougher fines against those infringing communications laws
    • new Policy Directions to the Telecoms Regulator focussing on delivering competitive pricing
    • a website where consumers demanding broadband can register and see competing prices from broadband providers.

It looks like Dermot Ahern and the dcmnr have listened to everyone finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Congratulations to Xian and all of the IOFFL committee members, whose Group Data Scheme has been rebaptized the Group Broadband Scheme and is now national policy. Well done. Tús maith leath na hoibre.

Originally posted by BArra
    my town isnt listed there, and it has more than 2,000 people.. carrigtohill in cork.

what the hell am i gonna do? being waiting so long for broadband already

If you are sure about your census pop data and you are sure you are not included (e.g. in Cork city DSL roll out plans or under another catchment area) Ring your local FF TD immediately - this afternoon like - and get him to get on to Dermot Ahern.

check www.cso.ie for census data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

According with the numbers obtained from
    http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/files/Dec-13A%20List%20only%20of%20Towns.doc

Longford have in 2002 7,557, However in:

http://www.cso.ie/census/pdfs/vol1_entire.pdf

Longford had in 1996 30,166 and in 2002 31,068

there is a difference of 23,511

How is possible that this sources from the government have so different figures?

Do they read at each others documents ?

Originally posted by thegills

E1 from Eircom is €45,000 a year with 16 IP addresses (2mbit/2Mbit) as there are no Eircom pops outside the large towns there will be a sizeable tail cost , which is included in that figure.

Base station , as little as €500 using 802.11 kit on a twig in a garden.

Up to €20,000 in the first year for commercial heavy duty base station and mast space and €5 a year for the mast space thereafter.

The mast space is liveable with but €45k a year for a leased line is monopoly money.

M

No way the pop of Longford town is anything like 30K Dundalk is 30 something K.

That is the problem with statistics though - hard to connect like and like.

Anyway Longford is on the list so you should be on track...?

Longford is another town that Already Has Broadband as it happens.

Only one County Galway town, not already provisioned or verifiably in the process of being provisioned for RADSL before the announcement , has been added. That is Gort .

Group Schemes for the rest of us.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    Longford is another town that Already Has Broadband as it happens.

M

I'm more and more confused here. Why would DCMNR bother shelling out cash in Longford and a bunch of other towns if they are already enabled? OK OK I know that is a silly question and its Friday but why??:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Originally posted by Muck
    Only one County Galway town, not already provisioned or verifiably in the process of being provisioned for RADSL before the announcement , has been added. That is Gort .

I just printed out the map:

I see Loghrea and Oranmore in there too...

But the good news is that my lil ol' town is on the map (Eircom told me it would be a cold day in hell when they got around to it)
    Now I just have to wait and see if anything actually happens:~P

Originally posted by bealtine

I see Loghrea and Oranmore in there too...

But the good news is that my lil ol' town is on the map (Eircom told me it would be a cold day in hell when they got around to it)
    Now I just have to wait and see if anything actually happens:~P

Loughrea and Oranmore are

"Galway Towns.... verifiably in the process of being provisioned for RADSL" as I said.

Loughrea being somewhat behind Oranmore which may already be live. Athenry should also be live. If you think that anybody would be brave enough to dig Loughrea up in order to install fibre then you have really disregarded the traffic problem. Once the N6 bypass is finished (in about 2 years) the whole of Loughrea will be dug up for a sewage pipe upgrade . If fibre is to be installed it will happen then, thats to say 2006 at the earliest. OTOH Eircom intend to install DSL there early next year.

Tuam Galway and Ballinasloe are live. As I said, the only additional town that will be done is Gort. Either Eircom or ESAT had done the rest or are doing them.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Please unconfuse me........

This sounds very welcome. But, I'm a tad confused. As I understand it, apart from the Group Broadband Schemes, this is not a proposal to deliver broad to individual subscribers. It is a proposal to put another truckload of fibre in the ground. So as well as the current 19 MANs, which are actually 19 fibre rings sitting in the ground doing nothing, this will deliver another 88 fibre rings that will sit in the ground doing nothing until (a) the MSE is up and running and doing the business and (b) there are local services of one sort or another (of which the GBS is a part) delivering last mile connectivity.

I'm not being critical of the announcement - just trying to be clear that this is a part of the solution, not the final answer. There are still outstanding components needed to complete the jigsaw - Those being the MSE and a comprehensive blueprint for last mile connectivity.

Or am I wrong.

And as a ps, I strongly echo Yoda's sentiment - well done to Xian in particular for banging this nail home so quickly and effectively.

Advertisement