Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunder and Lightning

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Somebody has obviously been listening to a bit of Queen this afternoon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by gimme
    weather is gone nuts because we're polluting the earth and mother nature is displeased.
    next the seas will rise and we'll have to call kevin costner.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :phippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

My house was hit by lightning about 3 months ago. I was the only one in it and I was changing the chanel on the tv at the time and it blew up in my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

That was so cool today. FLASH!.... BOOOM!. It's still flashing occasionally here in Dun Laoghaire. Really shut up those stupid dumbass people who can't wait till Halloween to set off their puny fireworks.

Even cooler was that I got to sit in traffic for nearly three hours listening to music, while watching that and getting paid. Life is truly sweet sometimes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

still lightning here in dcu, its not REAL lightning tho, best ever was when i was on holiday in a chalet in the alps, there was a massive lightning storm at bout 2am, we turned off all the lights, it was class cos we were facing a huge forested valley, sometimes we could see the trees get hit by lightning and catch fire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭FoXXy

thunder woke me last night and i almost had heart attack, it was like the sky was being blown apart! scary stuff..... the storm has been going all day here in killiney.... maybe cos the house is on the beach....

<< looks out the window over the sea at the lightning.... scary but cool, reminds u that nature can kick some ass too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

its mental ... :)

Some video clips of thunder and lightning can be viewed here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This is madness!!
    It must be a freak event, never ever in my life experienced the like...but its fun...turn off the lights ..grab a beer and watch nature put on a show !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by eireboy
    its still going here in D2.

Yep still going as strong as ever in D14. This is the strangest thunderstorm I've ever seen, usually it's quite mild and tropical when we get thunder but this is COLD (possibly evil?) thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by Longfield
    This is madness!!
    It must be a freak event, never ever in my life experienced the like...but its fun...turn off the lights ..grab a beer and watch nature put on a show !!

We did that down in Fethard on Sea in Wexford... Sat on a cliff with our beers and watched a mental storm about 5 miles out at sea. Fantastic show...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

it was still going on here (D15) until about the start of Teachers on CH4 - but now the rains really picked up !

Anyone think the floods will return ! don't fancy all that hassle coming home from work again !

oh and there goes another bang !

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

still going her in D12

Tis FUN FUN FUN

dont think it has ever been this long in ireland
    well not that i can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Still going, but it seems to be heading north. Hopefully it'll come back. School during a thunderstorm is FUN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

This is Syd_Vicious speaking...

The thunderstorm is STILL GOING up here in Tallaght (that's D24 for all u people who don't know where Tallaght is)

We even had a power blackout about half an hour ago...was funny...I was looking out my attic window when all of a sudden all the lights on all the houses just went off! That was cool lookin' but that meant I couldn't see a bloody thing!

I remember a time when I was down on camp and we were all at Brittas Bay and the lightning was stricking the sea in front of us... we all enjoyed the display of nature's love lol

The best lightning I've ever seen was when I was looking out my window during another thunderstorm and lightning flashes RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY WINDOW and struck the alarm box on my next door neighbours house...I saw the blue lightning bolt right in front of my face...it like just a few tiny inches away from me...that was great!!!

I love thunder and lightning...I just wish it would stop bloody rainin'!

This has been Syd_Vicious speaking...

Sorry, who are you again?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

boooom ! love thunder , still going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

I'm Syd_Vicious and I'm a poster on boards.ie thank you very much

Good Lord, the rain is absolutely pelting down out here!!!

Just thought I'd add dramatic effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

The heating's down here at home... so cold... so very cold...

Just heard more thunder. Still going in D14.

Oh yeah... best lightning I ever saw was in Yosemite, on Half Dome... was flashing across the valley and hitting some of the higher peaks, but it wasn't even cloudy over us. :) Fantastic stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Okay the first bang was officially 24 hours ago. It calmed down a bit this afternoon but it seems to be picking up again. Nearly blinded by a flash driving in the ****ty rain. Fun Though. Just Watched Red Rose by Stephen King and im kinda scared. (Flash) so (bang) isnt this a tad bit long to be going on?? Anyway looks like I wont be going to college tomorrow, stay in and have some Sxhex wit me burd!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by amp
    That was so cool today. FLASH!.... BOOOM!. It's still flashing occasionally here in Dun Laoghaire. Really shut up those stupid dumbass people who can't wait till Halloween to set off their puny fireworks.

Yeah, I can just imagine some deity up in the sky yesterday evening muttering to themselves... "FIREWORKS?!! I'LL SHOW THEM BLOODY FIREWORKS!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

God damn it the thunder and lightning is still at it. I got drenched going for a bus this morning trying to get into college!:(

Stupid storm. Would have been nice if I was tucked up in bed though.......stupid college!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    This is the strangest thunderstorm I've ever seen, usually it's quite mild and tropical when we get thunder but this is COLD (possibly evil?) thunder.
    It still works on the same principles, but at the moment we have really cold arctic air coming down over relatively cold seas and convecting upward really strongly.

That it lasted so long is weird, though it's more loads of seperate ones than one big one sticking around for ages.

Originally posted by Syd_Vicious

I'm Syd_Vicious and I'm a poster on boards.ie thank you very much

No.. still didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by DapperGent
    It still works on the same principles, but at the moment we have really cold arctic air coming down over relatively cold seas and convecting upward really strongly.

warm seas...tsk tsk..
    winter fish species (eg whiting etc havent really appeared in Irish angling venues yet..while fish that prefer warmer weather-school bass-are still being caught...-piece of trivia for ye)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by jd
    warm seas...tsk tsk..
    Typo. Doh!

Will leave my stoopidity there for the world to see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

The words of amp.....
    Really shut up those stupid dumbass people who can't wait till Halloween to set off their puny fireworks.

lol...poor fools..with their puny bangers...and such..bangers sound like funsnaps next to a thunderstorm
    :rolleyes:
    there was some today as well... its wierd cause when your in the car wit teh radio on.. it goes fuzzy for the split second that lightning strikes...adds to the effect methinks

Advertisement