Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A suggestion for the approach to debates

• 09-10-2003 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

I really only got involved in debates as a student and there were a number of approaches way back then. There were a few I think could work well here:

Approach A: People decide which side of the debate they want to be on, such as the smoking ban debate.

Approach B: Names for both debating teams are pulled from a hat so you only know what the subject is, not what arguements you're going to be putting forward.

Approach C: names for both debating teams are pulled from a hat, when the for and against teams are decided the topic of the debate is then pulled from the hat too.

I think a mix of all would be good. Approach A gives people a chance to discuss something they're genuinely passionate about. Approach B and C gives you a chance to test your debating skills regardless of the subject.

Advertisement