Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Favourite discworld book - and why

• 21-06-2003 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

What can i say, for me it has to be lords and ladies

simply top notch, my favourite discworld book, i have read it countless times, i have this copy that i got YEARS ago in paperback and i read it now and then...

when Terry Pratchett was in dublin last time signing books, i brought it with me and asked him to sign it, so heres me with a copy of his new book like everyone else (it was carpe jugulum also a great book) and this decrepid old copy of lords and ladies...

he took it off my hands and took one look at it then wiped his hands on the uniform of the easons girl to his left,

hmmm... sarcy bastid :-P

still great book, the ogg´s, trolls, the wizards, the librarian oook!, the village of lancre,

it has more of the main characters of discworld than any other book and it is simply brilliant...

anyway nuff said really

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

cant say ive read it, tehres a few i havent acquired yet... :'(

reaper man and Mort were among my favourites tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Interesting Times is a fabulous book, butmy fave is always going to be Feet Of Clay. The part towards the end where Dorfl goes nuts and "makes use of some sage and an onion" among other things had me suffocating with laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

my fave discworld novel has to be between mort and lords and ladies
    my fav scene in any of the books is at the end of feet of clay where dorfl has a chat with the preists about religion (aint nothin scarier than a ceramic athiest :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Very tricky to pick one out of my favourites (GG, MAA, IT, M) but I think I'd have to go with Guards! Guards!

The watch books seem to be consistently good, I'm currenty reading Night Watch after it sitting there for 6 months (first book I've read in over a year that didn't have a computer-related title).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

It's a toss up between Feet Of Clay and Small Gods.

Feet of Clay is undoubtably the best written and paced Discworld story, and a damned funny one at that.

But Small Gods is just incredibly hilarious!

Small Gods wins, but part of me wants to rethink it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

im a bit of a fifth elephant fan for some reason , guess i just like Vimes ass whooping

its so hard to choose, isnt it? theyre all so good

colour of magic i didnt find as good as the others tho for some reason...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it used to be "interesting times", but i haven't read that one in ages so I don't know how it will hold up any more..

i used to have to put the book down for a few minutes at some points to catch my breath, laughing too damn much :)

lol, i know what you mean. the sarcasm is so blatent. its annoying not to have anyone to laugh with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

Thrilled to see that Feet of Clay has been so well-represented on this list! It's a mystery that gets better every time you read it, because you can see where it's going. Vimes is just getting to the stage where you're falling in love with him. There's the whole "dwarf in a dress" thing, the "will Angua leave Carrot" thing, how much does Vetinari know what's going on, and, of course, a good old-fashioned dose of rat poisoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Most of the Discworld books are great but I'd have to say that my favourites would be Guards Guards (first Discworld book i read and i couldn't put it down after the opening secret society bit) and the last continent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I think the funniest DW book i ever read was Interesting times that bit when the horde fighting the ninja's i actually hurt with laughter the whole book it like that,

but the best book story wise is Guards Guards. any scene with carrott in the book was great

"Come on then, give us your best ninj."

-Cohen, to the ninjas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I think i'll have to say Soul Music. So funny, love all the references to music and such. ANd Death on his motorbike!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

Im reading ur copy of soul music at the moment lamda, as i forgot to take it to Germany with me. Tis very funny indeed, music with rocks in it!!! Oh terry, u are hilarity personified.

As for my favourite i think i favour Small Gods, great stand-alone and Brutha was a loveable guy. Also, he has been mentioned in so many other books, i cant remember which ones, someone will know.

Also like Thief of time and witches aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Of what Ive read (not much) Id go for Theif of Time, Lu Tze has to be the coolest sweeper ever :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i reckon men at arms is the best, just finished rereading it last night. i think the city watch novels are the best, followed closely by the death novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ravaan

Small Gods. Poor ickle Om.

"Let there be lettuce!"

An amazing character. Unrepeatable, but for that one book Om was one of Terry's finest creations.

Honourable mention goes to The Truth, Lords and Ladies and Guards! Guards! as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Small Gods was brilliant , have only read three of the Discworld books but thus far thats my fav :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

I'd have to go for one of the Watch series of books myself aswell, one of the main reason's being that they were the first one's i'd read with Gaspode the wonder dog in them.
    One of the best character's ever, and almost forgotten a lot of the time.
    Couldn't pick one of them in particular though.
    I'd say it'd be Nightwatch tbh.
    That scene where Carrot is exclaiming that the wizards have lost in space and time, and all the wizards are only just figuring it out had me in stitches. Pity he didn't feature more though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Moving Pictures was the 1st Pratchett I ever read.
    I thank echo for that.

Always good to have a thousande elephants- I can't think of any movie that wouldn't be improoved by the addition of a thousande elephants.

Soul Music- yeah, I really laughed at that one two. I think that was my second Pratchett book. I like when he does spoofs.
    Whenever HEX takes centre stage, for example, I just know I'm in for a painful, eye-watering, breathless fit of the giggles.

And finally Guards Guards!
    Vimes is the man. If all cops were like him the world would be a much better place. I think Vimes is one of the best written and real characters in any book- odd then that he happens to be from a world that's balanced on a turtle.

/me takes a swig of coffee from his Samuel Vimes Fanclub mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

Small Gods is the best. What with Om and the smiting. And Vorbis was the most evil character ever.

Yeah. Pratchett took the character Dios from Pyramids (who was also of the close-minded, sinister persuasion) and in Vorbis made him doubly sinister, triply close-minded and quadruply bloodthirsty. I don't think there's been a villain quite like him.

(But then I've not read Hogfather yet and I hear Mr Teatime's a particularly unpleasant fellow)

But the star of the book is still Om.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

teh-ah-time :)

and yeah he's a pretty messed up character..

carcer is pretty buggered in the head too (from nightwatch), although we don't really get to see much of him.. he's the most erm.. human (real) of the villains I thought, he was just a criminal.. not some uber priest, not crazy or insane.. just.. wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Carcer was definately a good bad guy. You were wondering up until the end whether Vimes would kill him, which is always cool, and he just seemed so mental in the head, the way he wasn't even fazed when he did something wrong, after all can't blame a man for trying, can't put him away for that eh?

Originally posted by Mordeth
    teh-ah-time :)

Tsk tsk. Teh-ah-tim-eh.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

im half way through reading night watch and i can honestly say its the best bit of writing ive ever seen, from a storyline point of view in my opinion its the best bit of narrative work that prachet has EVER done.

i haven't been kept memorized by a book like this in years i find myself wanting to sneak off to the canteen in work and read a couple of more pages if you've read the guards books and most of prachetts other work you'll find this brill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Just read Colour Of Magic recently. Are the books meant to be read in order, as in, are they all continuations, with the same characters n' stuff? Or can they be read in any random order?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

there is kindof an order to some of the books, those involving Rincewind, Vimes, and witches but having said that they can all be enjoyed separately.

• Advertisement

There's a suggested order:

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~gidnsuzi/readord.html

You *will* get more out of them if you read them in some sort of order.

Advertisement