Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done AH mods.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

OutlawPete wrote: »
    It did.

When Corey Haim died, when Stephen Gately died, the threads also had people posting crap that got them banned or an onthread warning.

The people that don't like Gerry have the rest of their lives to post their criticisms, can you not just wait a few days and show some respect.

There is a time and place for that and it is most certainly not now.

One of Gerry Ryan's biggest critics on this forum, if not the country, showed the man some respect today and wished Gerry's family well said his thoughts were with the family, maybe you all should take a leaf from his book and do the same.

If a thread wants everyone to say they're really sorry in some form or another, or be deleted, they should state that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

sceptre wrote: »
    Actually, several times in the past when well-known public personalities have died, there have been similar guidelines enacted by forum moderators, including After Hours. There was a mod warning posted on the thread, the location indicated in the title and linked to from the first post so no-one can claim it wasn't obvious.

Tied to that, if anyone disagreed with the decision of the moderators when enacting that guideline/rule on the thread, the correct ways to disagree with it would have been to start a thread on Help Desk, start a thread here or, following the dispute resolution procedure, PMing the mod, then the cmod if the answer was below their expectation and then start a Help Desk thread if that response wasn't satisfactory.

That's three routes to making the case that the rule wasn't necessary, warranted or wanted. People who just drove in with bad jokes or wah comments don't particularly have much of a box to stand on when they chose to just ignore a moderator instruction. Which has been slotted in for a few days in order to avoid the more rampant idiocy that not having it would result in, as well as a short period of reasonable respect for a family who have just had an unexpected loss. The rationale isn't particularly difficult to understand, even if you disagree with it after understanding it. The thread wasn't titled "condolences" but there was a mod warning obviously linked for all to see with specific instruction so anyone who can read would see it.

I'm not going to deal with the specifics of your complaint here, pookie82, as you've started a thread on the Help Desk. I'll be answering it there, not here as that's what it's for.

Thanks but my thread in the help desk was addressed by sharpshooter here. No need to pursue that.

I'll take my issue on censorship to a mod, no point going around in circles here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well done AH mods. We had our own type of shit storm in Soccer when Henry did his bit of cheating and it can be really hard to keep on top of things but you guys have done a great job.

It's just a pity that there are so many dicks out there increasing the workload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

pookie82 wrote: »
    If a thread wants everyone to say they're really sorry in some form or another, or be deleted, they should state that.

They shouldn't have to on the day the person dies.

People that are champing at the bit to make jokes or post criticism about dead celebrities should have a enough respect to wait at least until that person is laid to rest.

I posted criticism about Gerry many times but I did not despise the man so much so that on the day he is found dead I need to keep harping on about it.

Anyone that feels like they still must, so soon after his passing really needs to take a long hard look at themselves quite honestly.

If you are one of those people and you feel that is sanctimonious, you need a new dictionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But maybe leave the "If you've nothing nice to say, gtfo" bossiness to the mods by reporting offending posts?

And let people deviate from fawning "RIPs" and "Oh that's terribles" if they want - by that, I do not mean hurling insults at the deceased.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    But maybe leave the "If you've nothing nice to say, gtfo" bossiness to the mods by reporting offending posts?

And let people deviate from fawning "RIPs" and "Oh that's terribles" if they want - by that, I do not mean hurling insults at the deceased.

I didn't see much of what you are referring to be honest.

I reported one post for a sick and very sad dig at the man.

I replied to your post also as I thought the "Sanctimonious central" comment was unfair.

I'm sure there were one or two sanctimonious posts, you'll always get the odd hypocrite but to call the thread "Sanctimonious central" was really uncalled for in my view as the vast majority of the large amount of posts seemed quite genuine and still do.

Can't you see that comments like that on the day such a well known guy like Gerry died was going to infuriate those that had just expressed their sadness at his passing?

Yes (just people who were genuine fans though) but they should just report them/let the mods deal with them instead of chastising people on-thread - some people were coming across as awful bossy nannies. Telling people to "gtfo" - who the **** do they think they are?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would like to say a big thank you and well done to the mods of AH for putting their friday night on hold because people were acting like spoilt 2 year olds.

i only read part of the thread and didnt get involved in it but as the better half of a mod of a very contentious forum on boards, i know only to well, how much hard work is involved and have had more the one night ruined by the muppetry of some posters on boards:rolleyes:.

well done guys, i for one appreciate your hardwork and to hell with the begrudgers. :):)

Yes (just people who were genuine fans though) but they should just report them/let the mods deal with them instead of chastising people on-thread - some people were coming across as awful bossy nannies. Telling people to "gtfo" - who the **** do they think they are?

Again, those comments (of which there were not many) were directed at those that posted sick comments and made sick jokes.

If those people had not of posted that crap, there would have been no angry responses.

You criticize those angry replies (some, rightly so) but I have not seen you have a go at the assholes who posted calling Gerry names and that they were glad he was dead.

There were 500 replies when you posted that remark, a few angry "gtfo's" was hardly enough to label the thread "sanctimony central".

Anyway, I felt the Mods did a great job and should be commended.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's a pretty sick world, IMO, when people flock to the internet to insult, poke fun at, mock and make jokes at the expense of the recently deceased.
    I wouldn't back the kind of freedom of speech that adds that sick element to a community. AH or not. Online or not. That's my personal feelings as a result of yesterday's activities btw.
    Some of the posts on that thread which I and others deleted were pretty inhuman. TBH I never really subscribed to the Gerry hatred boards seems to love and to see some of the stuff posted there that was deleted. Well. It kinda makes you wonder where the humanity is in some people.
    The thread has been re-read a number of times and pertinent items snipped for trolling or quoting trolls or inviting speculation or trouble.
    If you have any questions (as plenty have) about deleted posts drop one of us a PM and we'll look at it for you.
    I played a small part in moderating there but I have to say to sharpshooter and rabies and mickey dolenz, super-rush, the master, biko, Dav, trout as well as a number of moderators and posters reporting posts did a whole heck of a lot more than me in dealing with it.
    There was a lot of on thread crankiness and in-fighting.
    The usual "How is this allowed" "AH is sick" "How should we deal with celebrity deaths" stuff that went through the thread. As javaboy said, people were spoiling for a fight.
    If people could try and take that aspect to a reported post or a PM to a moderator instead of on-thread chastising it would have been better but emotions run high at such a time, it's understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Out of interest, how many posts were reported in that thread?

I think that overall the muppetry was minimal for such a thread, and was exacerbated by those calling the 'muppets' out in their posts

If those people had not of posted that crap, there would have been no angry responses.
    And as MNIU said, the angry responses only drew attention to them. There was a lot of that - especially at the beginning when people kept saying the thread shouldn't have been started as it's insensitive, oblivious to the irony.
    I have not seen you have a go at the assholes who posted calling Gerry names and that they were glad he was dead.
    No, because being called out on them is exactly what they're looking for - they were no doubt having a right laugh at the outrage they provoked.
    It's a pretty sick world, IMO, when people flock to the internet to insult, poke fun at, mock and make jokes at the expense of the recently deceased.
    Unless they're not well known?
    TBH I never really subscribed to the Gerry hatred boards seems to love
    I never did either - I could understand dislike of him, but the sheer venom used to perplex me.
    It's ludicrous though that Boards was such a platform for anti GR bile but now it's as if that sentiment was never held.

.. the angry responses only drew attention to them.

Sure the following remarks you made only "drew attention" to the posts that you perceived to be sanctimonious, why are you any better?
    Zzzzzzzzzzz

Once again, sanctimony central from people who didn't give a fuk about him when he was alive and won't give a fuk about him in a few hours - probably couldn't stand him.

You do realise that some posters were banned for their response to your post don't you.
    It's ludicrous though that Boards was such a platform for anti GR bile but now it's as if that sentiment was never held.

Nonsense.

Here are a selection of posts from that thread which prove that your remark about Boards now being:

"As if that sentiment was never held" - is simply not true.
    Never a fan but he was a human, and not a bad chap, and has family and kids who could be regular posters.
    RIP
    bronte wrote: »
    Jesus, was never a fan of his but he's got kids. That's pretty damned sad. RIP.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Was never a fan of Gerry Ryan but he was a good presenter.

RIP.
    Dustaz wrote: »
    Was never a fan of any of his work but he was a professional and a father. Sad news
    alwaysadub wrote: »
    Wasn't a huge fan of his but still awful thing to hear. He wasn't that old at all.
    RIP Gerry
    brummytom wrote: »
    I didn't like him as a broadcaster, but like others said, he's still a human being - he's got young kids, for christ sake.

My thoughts are with the family
    RIP
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    goodbye gerry.

i wasnt a fan.

but i respect what you have done for broadcasting and for being a good father to your kids.

godspeed and rest in peace.
    Still in shock...not a big fan, but my God only 53. He was a bit of a rebel on the airwaves when he started. RIP
    Not a fan but still horrible he died so young! RIP
    sunny2004 wrote: »
    I have to say I never liked the guy, in fact I detested him, but as I got older I couldn't help but listen to his show and he will be a sad loss. It must be desperate for his family. As for the haters, let me say this, god help you
    when the morons in RTE decide on a replacement

I would imagine that Gerry would want us to smile and laugh !
    deadtiger wrote: »
    Was never a fan of his but its sad that a relatively young man has died and his children are now without their father. RIP.
    Mink wrote: »
    Not a fan at all to be honest...

but having lost both parents when I was in my late teens & they were same age as Gerry Ryan, jesus I really feel for his kids.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy
    Funkfield wrote: »
    I never liked the guy but this is still awful. Condolences to the family.

R.I.P
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Didn't like the chap and won't be changing that view just because he passed away, none the less sad for his ex-wife/family and his current girlfriend who the media don't seem to want to refer to.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    I was never a big fan of his, he will be missed by so many people. RIP.
    Michael B wrote: »
    I didn't really like the guy personally but I was listening to all the texts being read out on the Will Leahy show and people were pulled over on the side of the road crying in their cars. To some people he was their friend, they listened to him every day for 20 years. They felt like they knew him.
    hinault wrote: »
    I was not a GR fan and I did not like his show on radio.

However, the man has died and I wish to express my condolences to his wife and children.
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Couldn't believe it when I heard this today. I was never a huge fan of his and didn't agree with everything he said but he always entertained and kept you interested.

A very sad day for Irish broadcasting
    Venom wrote: »
    While never a fan of Gerry Ryan's work I was shocked to hear he died, and so young at that. I hope all the media attention doesn't make a dreadful time even worse for his family.
    markesmith wrote: »
    I was never a fan of his at all, and in fact knocked him in several posts on these forums.

That said, it's very sad that he died at such a young age. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

This shows that the sentiment that existed towards Gerry by some people is not only still there but was in fact even expressed by many people.

It also shows that there was little or no sanctimony on the thread yesterday, as some people that didn't care for Gerry or his show, expressed those views and yet still could pay their respects to him at the same time.

These posters did not have their posts deleted and so prove that people were well able to express their views once they showed some decorum and respect to a man who had just passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

People seem to be getting confused between being sanctimonious and just having common decency/respect.

It really does baffle me

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Out of interest, how many posts were reported in that thread?
    I think that overall the muppetry was minimal for such a thread, and was exacerbated by those calling the 'muppets' out in their posts
    Muppetry was minimal thanks to the mods getting there and deleting/banning users that were out to cause trouble.

Well done Mods, y'all do a great job!

Oh and Outlawpete and Dudess, get a room ffs, this isn't the Dudesslaw Pete show, quit hogging this thread.

Just in response to posts:
    Sure the following remarks you made only "drew attention" to the posts that you perceived to be sanctimonious, why are you any better?
    I was only objecting to the non AH mods who felt they had a right to boss people around on the thread.
    This shows that the sentiment that existed towards Gerry by some people is not only still there but was in fact even expressed by many people.

It also shows that there was little or no sanctimony on the thread yesterday, as some people that didn't care for Gerry or his show, expressed those views and yet still could pay their respects to him at the same time.

These posters did not have their posts deleted and so prove that people were well able to express their views once they showed some decorum and respect to a man who had just passed away.
    There's a big difference between "I hate the fcuking fat cnut" type remarks two days ago and "I wasn't a fan of him" today.
    brummytom wrote: »
    People seem to be getting confused between being sanctimonious and just having common decency/respect.

It really does baffle me
    Backseat modding/on-thread chastising = sanctimony
    Genuine expressions of condolence = common decency/respect

I don't think it's that baffling Tom.

There's a big difference between "I hate the fcuking fat cnut" type remarks two days ago and "I wasn't a fan of him" today.

Those remarks were still being posted yesterday, they were deleted.

If that sentiment wasn't just as prevalent yesterday, as it was the day before, then the Mods would not have been run off their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Dudess and OutlawPete, that was a warning earlier, I'd like you both to stop posting in this thread now please, that's a statement.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i thought this thread was about acknowledging the hardwork done by the mods not a re-hash of the AH thread:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It was going to be a "all hands on deck" day for the AH mods.

I see the thread views has considerably slowed down so i think its back to normal now

141k this morning.. 145 k now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

All sorts of tasteless jokes are posted when deaths are reported, what's so special about celebrity deaths?

Fuck sake, all sorts of tasteless jokes are regularly posted in AH as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Who'd be an AH mod? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

javaboy wrote: »
    Who'd be an AH mod? :D

obviously a dickhead.

ive spent the last few minutes reading all through this whole hullabaloo and I can only come to one conclusion, and that is that unless you've something positive to say, you cant post. It begs the question why people post in after hours.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

TheZohan wrote: »
    I'd just like to say you did a great job on modding the Gerry Ryan thread, it couldn't have been easy considering at one stage there was over 2,5k people on AH at one stage today.

Kudos. :)

Lick

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Context Dudess, Context!

Plenty of OTT critics of Gerry, the odd one, legendary Boards threads and posters. Guess what? I'm sure they had the manners, common respect and human decency to just fecking leave it for one day!

The mods did a good job, one of their finest hours. Sadly, not one of AH's finest hours. Another day to knock the concept of free speech on the internet as a bad thing, which is sad.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

TheZohan wrote: »
    I'd just like to say you did a great job on modding the Gerry Ryan thread, it couldn't have been easy considering at one stage there was over 2,5k people on AH at one stage today.

Kudos. :)

Hi TheZohan having read all the posts on this thread as well the Ah's GR thread.I will dare to risk being accused of MOD brownowsing{perish the thought}

I agree totally with You on this! AH's gets too crude at times for my taste on certain topics,but within reason freedom of speech is so precious it needs to be protected so that is just TOUGH on Me!

There are MANY cess-pool Sites on the net,I like boards for doing in general a great job of stopping it sinking right into the gutter that other sites thrive on.
    A recently posted 'snuff video' was also deleted and the user sitebanned,quite rightly IMO.

Some of the posters on the Jade Goody and Gerry Ryan threads really ought to try these freely available Lowlife sites instead of trying to drag boards down to their level.

So YES well done the AH MODS!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

obviously a dickhead.

ive spent the last few minutes reading all through this whole hullabaloo and I can only come to one conclusion, and that is that unless you've something positive to say, you cant post. It begs the question why people post in after hours.

People have still posted saying they didn't like him as a presenter or radio host, those are still there.
    It is the trollish, off topic, in fighting, sniping and sh!t stirring posts that are gone.
    A popular Irish personality has died. Respect should be shown as courtesy and decency.

I'm not a religious man, no where near it at all. If the pope or some prominent religious figure died, there would be no difference.

Different story if Kim jong-il died.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

obviously a dickhead..

Friendly word of advice...

if you have a complaint to make, make it civilly...and don't personalise the argument, especially when commenting on people who freely contribute their time to the site to help keep it under control.

No-one's asking you to agree with them, but if a bit of respect is too much to ask, then I would say we have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Imagine how damaging it would be to boards.ie if the thread were allowed to be a feeding frenzy of tastless jokes, bickering and hate comments? It was pretty obvious from the start that the hundreds were joining up to express their shock, as it was one of the first search results that came up on google to do so.

I myself am guilty of being one of these idiots who laugh at bad bad tastless jokes, but even I had a bit of cop on not to say anything on that thread. It makes trouble for the mods and it makes trouble for boards. There are plenty of other places to go to discuss why you dislike Gerry Ryan. Just don't do it on the busiest condolence area in the whole of Ireland.
    Well done to all the mods who worked constantly to keep it as civil as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I posted in that Gerry Ryan thread, all I said was that I thought it was pathetic that another Gerry Ryan thread (here) was started in the After Hours forum only a few days previous to his death and nobody stood up for/defended the guy when he was getting slated. And now that the guy has died you have everyone and anyone claiming he was the greatest thing ever. Of course my post got deleted after about three minutes by Sharpshotter (who else). It was quite incredible really, since I didn't say anything bad about the deceased (nor did I ever in the past). Unbelievable stuff yet again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement