Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is a book of condolence opened at the Telifis Eireann studios in Doneybrook 12.00pm to 6pm to-day.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0501/ryang.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

im very sad at this.

I really dont care much for celebrities and there whole seen, but Gerry was different.

I could listen to him each morning. Call him all the names under the son or completely agree with him another day. He sparked great debate with lads at work.
    A true entertainer

He breathed a bit of life into my sometimes boring workday .

There will be a big gap in the regular punters day with his absence from radio.

Rest In Peace sir. Legend ...... You wont be forgotten.;)

at DublinWriter

it far from the situation of Katie

A lot of us listened to Gerrys babbling for hours everyday.
    Loads of folk will truly miss this guy. He was one the best known figures in our little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Was listening to the tribute show for G Ryan on 2fm this morning and could not believe that RTE still had add breaks throughout. In fact they had more adds than calls from the public in spite of the fact that Evelyn O Rourke introduced the show stating that it would be a phone in show with his listeners. By the way Evelyn O Rourke is an appalling broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

cock robin wrote: »
    Was listening to the tribute show for G Ryan on 2fm this morning and could not believe that RTE still had add breaks throughout. In fact they had more adds than calls from the public in spite of the fact that Evelyn O Rourke introduced the show stating that it would be a phone in show with his listeners. By the way Evelyn O Rourke is an appalling broadcaster.

I hope O Rourke does not take over. 2fm is bad enough without a sub standard presenter like herself.

It would make Today FM the number 1 forever

• Registered Users Posts: 17 HappyDays2010

I think she did her best to be honest, they were all trying not to cry the whole way through it! Give them a break!! He might have been someone we just listened to on a radio, he was their friend though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

You expected them to forge ahead with a 2-hour tribute show without so much as a 60-second break to pull themselves together every so often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

Listened to the tribute show. It must have been so hard for the team to put the show together. I think they did a fantastic job under very difficult cirumstances. They mentioned the funny zany stories like the man being buried alive ( which I totally believed at the time), the Italia 90 & Brenda and Barbara's race to the matches, Lavinia's call at the end was so moving. The respect and affection in which he was held by the people he worked with everyday was flooding through the airwaves. I was riveted for the whole two hours which just flew by.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

You expected them to forge ahead with a 2-hour tribute show without so much as a 60-second break to pull themselves together every so often?
    They could have played music,or clips of Gerrys old shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I think they did Gerry proud this morning.

Less than 24 hours ago they were told their close friend and colleague was found dead, and they've obviously spent every hour since pulling together a fitting tribute, with special memories of Gerry and the show from good friends and viewers.

My heart goes out to the GRS production team this morning. Evelyn's sign off was heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yoji101

I would get up most mornings and turn on the radio with a thought like "what will this gob****e be banging on about today" I disagreed with him a lot.

I still turned it on and loved it. Only now that he's dead I've realised that he actually meant something to me. He was a constant in my morning routine and I'll miss him greatly.

RIP Gerry. This country will miss you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 yoji101

Fiona broke my heart. You could really hear how raw it was for her. She didn't even try to hold it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I listen to the start of yesterday's show there and it was so sad to hear Fiona joking that she thought Gerry might be dead when she got the early call to do the show, little did she know that he was gone at that point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Sad sad news........still hard to believe he's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Have to say I was dissapointed this morning with the irish independent , I bought the paper to read the piece about gerry ryan.

Theres a piece about his family and they are all sitting on a couch ,there is a massive cost plus sofa ad ,larger than the ryan family piece on the same page

If ever there was an innapropriate ad:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Have to say I was dissapointed this morning with the irish independent , I bought the paper to read the piece about gerry ryan.

Theres a piece about his family and they are all sitting on a couch ,there is a massive cost plus sofa ad ,larger than the ryan family piece on the same page

If ever there was an innapropriate ad:(

ahhhh here, thats life.........you're over reacting......it's just an ad for a sofa ?? Like if there was a fishbowl in the picture and an ad for fishbowls on the same newspaper page, you'd be whinging about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Anyone know if the Funeral will be on T.V or on the Radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone know if the Funeral will be on T.V or on the Radio?

No word yet, the family may yet want it private, may only be news coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ahhhh here, thats life.........you're over reacting......it's just an ad for a sofa ?? Like if there was a fishbowl in the picture and an ad for fishbowls on the same newspaper page, you'd be whinging about that.

Nah ,this is a massive ad over half the whole page ,right under the photo of the ryan family all in their bare feet ,sitting on a big sofa.
    It's as clear as day whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    It's as clear as day whats going on.

Advertising......... to keep the price of your paper down.

Good god man, it's not like it was an ad for a crematorium or Flora Pro-active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Such a shame - while I wasn't a big fan, he was quite funny & very entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm sorry for his family, that's the best I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

baldbear wrote: »
    The tribute on the 9 o'clock news was good it had him saying the Fcuk word. That would be Gerry for ya. It'll be that bit boring now without him on radio.
    He was a character. Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends.
    RIP

I saw that too, and while it always irked me that Ryan was allowed to use that sort of language on national radio in the mornings - I still don't know how he was able to get away with it - I smiled because you just know he'd get such a kick out of having said "f*ck" on the 9pm news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

RIP Gerry ..

Didn't always agree with ya , but I always listened to ya ..

You were the reason I turned on the radio in the car before I turned on the heater ...

I remember turning on the radio and every now and again somebody else would be standing in for him , and I'd go "B*llocks !! Where's Gerry ?"..

Mondays to Fridays will never be the same again ...

I wish your family and friends the strength to get through it all , my thoughts and prayers are with them ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

While never a fan of Gerry Ryan's work I was shocked to hear he died, and so young at that. I hope all the media attention doesn't make a dreadful time even worse for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I was never a fan of his at all, and in fact knocked him in several posts on these forums.

That said, it's very sad that he died at such a young age. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Never cared for Gerry on the television or the radio, and I don't believe many people posting here did either. That said, I would never wish death on anyone, particularly not somebody with five kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Didn't think his passing would affect me but I feel a genuine sence of loss. I think this was his gift he connected with people I'm 23 years younger than him but felt he was on my level. I think a little bit of what it means to to Irish has died.

RIP Gerry you'll be sadly missed

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Why does everyone feel the need to disclose the fact they were not a fan or didnt agree with him???!!!

Gerry, you made me smile. Thanks and god bless! RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Still quite upset about this.I listened to him every morning and it really does feel like I've lost a friend. I really don't see anybody filling the 9 to 12 slot on 2fm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Deffo a case of you'll miss him when he is gone.
    ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    That said, I would never wish death on anyone, particularly not somebody with five kids.

Good that you pointed this out there....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement