Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Coronary Artery

It has been confirmed on 2fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Confirmed on RTE news

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

News Flash on 2fm confirming it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

On Sky News now.

Can't get on RTE website, it's too busy.

Never listened to his radio shows much but it's shocking and sad - he was only 53 years old and had little kids. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

Still in shock...not a big fan, but my God only 53. He was a bit of a rebel on the airwaves when he started. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Was on 2FM there.
    Larry said "Sleep in peace my dear friend" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just confirmed on 2fm. The newscaster's voice was breaking slightly :(

Larry Gogan "Sleep in peace, my dear friend"

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

2fm just confirmed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

I can't believe Miriam O'Callaghan had such shocking news broadcasted via Twitter. Really tasteless.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

hblock21 wrote: »
    Only last night my father said while watching his show 'Am I as fat as him?' !

His death is obviously related to his unhealthy diet.

That may be so, but I think it's a bit soon to be bringing that sort of thing up... The news has only just broken officially, his family have only just found out. His friends and colleagues may be reading this thread right now, and are probably very upset. What you're saying is pure speculation, save it until more is known and until it is less raw for the bereaved
    jd007 wrote:
    Was he on the radio this morning?
    According to the Irish Times website, the alarm was raised when he failed to show up for work this morning :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

many other people have died today, why do people always feel the need to post pages and pages of RIP on here for the more famous ones? its another sad aspect of the "celebrity" obsessed culture we live in.

Should we keep track of the death notices and post about all of them?

Come on, I'll express sadness about deaths I know about...can't do much better than that. I'm not going to go seeking out death notices just so I can spread around the sadness equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Not a fan but still horrible he died so young! RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

the announcement on 2fm was very sad :(the newscaster sounded like she was crying:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Newsflash just there on 2fm to announce it.

They said a full report on it at 4pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There is already a facebook page up and running.
    Scary how technology can work so fast at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Was an absolute massive fan, morning for me won't be the same for a while :(

Rip, hope his family are okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It is very much the point.

The man made a carear and his living from diving opinion, on issues and his views of them.

At no point was I disrespectful .
    I would not go to the funeral and slag him off, to his family, as that would be disrespectful to his family, in their grief.
    I can, however, come onto a (semi)public messge forum and post my considered opinion on the man and his life

Or...Or...Or...

...you can wait for the body to grow cold before you start attacking him.

I wasn't a fan either, but having a bit of class and letting everyone express their sadness before laying in isn't too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Yeah, just heard Larry confirm it on 2fm........feck sake, thats sad!! :( I liked Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭jacool

Get a flicking grip.
    excuse me ! so this is how you think family and friends should hear news !
    I agree with the poster - there have to be standards. My wife is a nurse and they are forbidden from discussing anything.
    Put yourself in their shoes and assume you have some friends. See what I mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

RIP

Didn't listen to his show for years. I remember listening during the summer holidays when going to school.

Only last night my father said while watching his show 'Am I as fat as him?' !

His death is obviously related to his unhealthy diet.

How is that obvious, exactly? It could be any number of things.

I used to listen to Gerry in the mornings on summer holidays because that's what the kitchen radio was tuned to. Over the years the sound of his voice was like that of a familiar friend to me.

I'm not sure I think he was a brilliant broadcaster, but I think he was a likeable person and I've a lump in my throat knowing I'll never hear that familiar voice again when the kitchen radio at home is turned on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

Rest in peace Gerry and condolences to the entire family. He might not have been popular with everyone but I thought he was entertaining on the radio and will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Just realised that I was thinking of Joe Duffy the whole time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

RIP.
    I wasn't a fan of his radio show but in saying that he had his funny moments over the years. anyway sympathies to his children and ex-wife and those who he helped via his radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭jacool

big_show wrote: »
    What about Miriam O'Callaghan or maybe Rick O' Shea?
    RTE would have contacted the family first, not gone onto boards !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

When I was a kid I used to love watching school around the corner, he was class on it.

I wouldn't have listened to or watched any of shows as I dind't really like his interviewing technique but deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Major shock . You just dont expect some people to die all of a sudden like that.

My own father had a heart attack last year. HE was on his own at home too. He was only saved bcause he managed to ring his GF in the early hours on his mobile then pretty much dropped the phone. She only lives a hundred yards away and ran down knowing something was wrong. If he had have been able to make the call he'd be dead.

RIP Gerry,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

2427 users online for after hours!

Site going very slow for me.

RIP Gerry, awful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

I just can't beleive it- RIP Gerry Ryan, you will be missed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

DKZ wrote: »
    No, Fiona Looney was instead.

Faced with that prospect I think even those who jumped on the hate bandwagon would welcome him back.

RIP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement