Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Well this thread is going well :rolleyes:

FFS if you don't want to pay your respects can you guys not just stay away?

I feel for his poor children right now.

Respect to Gerry,I didn't like his show much but in fairness to him he did well with the Late Late that time he hosted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Rest in peace. He was a central figure in Irish media for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

What the hell are you all on about? If you want to pontificate and imagine you know all about the human mind - if you want to bitch at each other like spoilt brats...go and do it somewhere else where like-minded cretins might be interested. If you want to talk about Gerry Ryan -then stay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

RIP Jerry..sad really :( taughts and prayers for his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/books/how-gerry-ryan-turned-into-mr-smug-1499629.html

'Interesting' article on the guy.

Not sure why people are so upset. Only ones that should be upset are his girlfriend and wife/kids. Funny that the girlfriend ain't being mentioned on the airwaves at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Its sad to hear, once or twice when i was a van driver he made me spurt coffee over the window screen in traffic. Id like to thank him for that:D it happens...

thanks for entertainemnt even tho sometimes i didnt really agree, you had a voice and you used loudly, a pitty the rest of the country didnt follow in your foot steps regardless of what his opinion was.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Wookster76 wrote: »
    RIP Jerry..sad really :( taughts and prayers for his family.

At least spell his name correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    Once again, sanctimony central from people who didn't give a fuk about him when he was alive and won't give a fuk about him in a few hours - probably couldn't stand him.

The people on this thread that I have seen expressing their condolences seem pretty sincere and genuine to me.
    Just because you react a certain way in these situations doesn't mean everyone else is the same as you.

Precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

liverpo wrote: »
    Clearly people are spilt over liking the guy or not, I fall into the liking him brigade and its a testament to the man himself with the outpouring...the majority of the big radio stations are remembering him and speaking very respective-fully, just looking at this thread also shows the interest and emotions he could evoke...not many people could do this.

Oh and btw Dudess you're a pain in the arse...sorry mods for going off topic, but it had to be said.

See you after the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

aDeener wrote: »
    you said you are sad everytime a father dies?
    When I hear about it, yes.
    in your post you went off giving out about people expressing their condolences for the man when they didnt like him when he was alive. yet you come out with something like that.
    No, I object to the non stop po-faced "Show some respect!" teacher-like chastising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Awful lot of people deliberately antagonising, nit picking and generally trying to start rows in here over anything or nothing.

Cop on ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I for one will raise a pint to Gerry tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Seachmall wrote: »
    Not my evaluation. Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud and Paul Ekman have all written about emotions and relationships. I'm just regurgitating. If you dispute it take it up with them, not me.

This is getting more than off topic, if you (or anyone) wants the name of some books on the subject feel free to PM me.

Surely a contender for most condescending post of the year?

Gerry Ryan has been talking into people's living rooms for 20yrs. I don't think its for you to decide how valid that relationship is. No one here is claiming its the same as losing a loved one but its still a bit of a shock for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

R.I.P. Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/books/how-gerry-ryan-turned-into-mr-smug-1499629.html

Not sure why people are so upset. Only ones that should be upset are his girlfriend and wife/kids. Funny that the girlfriend ain't being mentioned on the airwaves at all.

Matt Cooper gave her a mention, offered his condolences to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Wasn't a fan of his but it's always sad to see someone die at a relatively young age and leave a family behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is like any death, sad for their families and friends.

I had two funerals this week, two relations who died, it didn't get time devoted to it by RTE, most people simply wouldn't care, what happened to Gerry Ryan will happen to all of us, we don't know how we will die.
    We can all make plans and have great ideas but we could be dead tomorrow just as easily.
    His death will have no affect on me, death is something a lot of people don't want to think about but we will all face it someday, it doesn't matter who we are, how big a name we are, how unknown we are, death doesn't discriminate.
    Just turn on any local radio at certain times and everyday you will hear of someone dying, today the Lord called Gerry home, I believe in an afterlife, I like to think we get back to spending time with those we love who have already died when we die and look over those still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

phasers wrote: »
    Respect to Gerry,I didn't like his show much

Why do people who are "paying respect" feel the need to say they didn't like his show? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

I for one will raise a pint to Gerry tonight

Not a Jameson twelve-year-old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Surely a contender for most condescending post of the year?
    That was the whole point of the post. I was condescending the condescending. Congratulations on getting that (< see, more condescending < and more < and more < etc.)
    javaboy wrote:
    Awful lot of people deliberately antagonising, nit picking and generally trying to start rows in here over anything or nothing.

Cop on ffs.
    It's a discussion forum, people are discussing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Didn't like the chap and won't be changing that view just because he passed away, none the less sad for his ex-wife/family and his current girlfriend who the media don't seem to want to refer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

javaboy wrote: »

Cop on ffs.

Yeah, well... TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE :mad::mad::mad::rolleyes::(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Why do people who are "paying respect" feel the need to say they didn't like his show? :confused:
    Because why would people falsely fawn over him?

Regardless of opinions, a man has died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

One of my first memories of talk radio was when my uncle was home from england and we were out for a drive and he had Gerry on.
    Gerry was talking to some fella who owned a pub who had these wooden carvings of mermaids at the bar but people kept stealing the mermaids nipples!
    Decided that they would have had to do a lot of fiddling with the nipples to remove them :D My uncle nearly crashed the car laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

His poor girlfriend Melanie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Condolences to his family, friends and collegues. While death comes to us all, we dont expect it at 52, for us nor for those we love. RIP

Beyond that the people who felt their day was brightened up by him will be saddened by this news. And judging by listening figures which he regularly topped that's a lot of people out there. Life goes on, but a constant fixture in life will be missed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

When I hear about it, yes.

No, I object to the non stop po-faced "Show some respect!" teacher-like chastising.

so assuming you read newspapers and watch the news you are sad everyday of the week?

ok then, why do you object to that and not people who are saying how sad it is and how they feel sorry for him when they couldnt stand him when alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Min wrote: »
    It is like any death, sad for their families and friends.

I had two funerals this week, two relations who died, it didn't get time devoted to it by RTE, most people simply wouldn't care, what happened to Gerry Ryan will happen to all of us, we don't know how we will die.
    We can all make plans and have great ideas but we could be dead tomorrow just as easily.
    His death will have no affect on me, death is something a lot of people don't want to think about but we will all face it someday, it doesn't matter who we are, how big a name we are, how unknown we are, death doesn't discriminate.
    Just turn on any local radio at certain times and everyday you will hear of someone dying, today the Lord called Gerry home, I believe in an afterlife, I like to think we get back to spending time with those we love who have already died when we die and look over those still alive.

good post.
    i'm not taking the mickey here, rather i'm genuinely interested to know does the idea of living forever not terrify you? i can't get my head around it. sorry if this is off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

:rolleyes:

A thread of reasons why and you still dont know :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement