Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CrackerXYZ

My heart goes out to his partner as well. I don't think that she has got a mention yet.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

Very sad & shocked to hear this news. I always enjoyed his radio shows. Condolences go to his family and friends. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I wasn't a fan of his radio programme but I was listening to it this week for some reason. It's very shocking news and very sad for his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

While I wasn't a fan of his radio show, I really admired Gerry Ryan. He did things his own way. He was opinionated and passionate about what he did.He seemed like a very loving father as well and a decent man.I was very sad to hear of his death and will miss his presence on Irish airwaves.
    Codladh Sámh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Gerry really enjoyed his life and didnt give a damm what people thought, thats why i liked him so much. A whiskey before bed every night and as he said the Four seasons was his canteen:D, Gerry you lived life to the full, R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Colm and Jim-Jim were joking with Fiona Looney this morning saying that she was covering because Gerry was dead. Little did they know that it would happen 3/4 hours later.

I heard that they were joking about that. In fairness it had probably already happened at that stage...must be awful to be accidentally right like that. They'll be forever afraid to make jokes like that again.

I used to listen to his show years ago. I remember him on School Around The Corner as well. Used to love that show when I was a kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

when fiona looney was on colin and jim jim this morning,she said gerrys crew rang her at 7 to see if she could do the show for him.she said you only get phone calls at that hour of the morning when someone dies,i think gerry would find that funny. r.i.p. gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

CrackerXYZ wrote: »
    My heart goes out to his partner as well. I don't think that she has got a mention yet.:(

RTE news said it was his partner who found him. She was concerned he hadn't turned up for his show and couldn't get hold of him so she went to his apartment and found him.

She must feel awful :( If she'd stayed at his place last night things might have turned out very differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Colm and Jim-Jim were joking with Fiona Looney this morning saying that she was covering because Gerry was dead. Little did they know that it would happen 3/4 hours later.

I bet they SO wish they didn't say that

when fiona looney was on colin and jim jim this morning,she said gerrys crew rang her at 7 to see if she could do the show for him.she said you only get phone calls at that hour of the morning when someone dies,i think gerry would find that funny. r.i.p. gerry

That's strange because someone on Mooney's tribute show said Gerry had called his producer last night to say he was unwell and wouldn't be able for his show today. His producer even offered to send an out of hours GP round but Gerry said no, he'd be fine after a day of rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

eth0_ wrote: »
    RTE news said it was his partner who found him. She was concerned he hadn't turned up for his show and couldn't get hold of him so she went to his apartment and found him.

She must feel awful :(If she'd stayed at his place last night things might have turned out very differently.

Really..? Please tell me I've read that wrong and you are not blaming her in some way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Resi12 wrote: »
    Really..? Please tell me I've read that wrong and you are not blaming her in some way?

yeah, that's exactly what she was doing

you = on the ball.

yeah, that's exactly what she was doing

you = on the ball.

Could you be civil and lose the attitude please, this isn't the time nor place for smart alec's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd hope eth0_ didn't mean that, but things could have turned out differently. Probably we'll never know. eth0_ may not be explicitly be blaming GR's partner, but she may do herself; it's always easy to go down the what-if road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Gerry Ryan. The man who loved to play the different versions of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax and Two Tribes on his night time show (10 - 12pm) back in 1983/1984. That started me off on the habit of buying different versions of the same record which I still haven't managed to shake off.

For some reason I brought that Frankie Goes To Hollywood album with me this morning. Listening to it on the way home brought back those memories of pretending to be asleep or studying but secretly listening to his radio show.

F*ck the begrudgers Gerry. You made a lot of people happy, you might have annoyed a lot more but you never failed to entertain.

RIP.

You've read it wrong, i'm in no way blaming his girlfriend!

I mean she must be feeling terrible and thinking how differently things might have turned out if she had happened to be with him when he was taken ill - they don't live together, she lives in South Dublin with her teenage children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Could you be civil and lose the attitude please, this isn't the time nor place for smart alec's.

tbh after hours is the place.

anyway terrible loss for his family, i really feel for his kids its a horrible situation to be in for some so young.

imo it wont be a loss to irish radio though as i never rated him as a good presenter, felt he was always very biased.

anyway RIP...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

RIP Gerry Ryan

The man entertained me on a daily basis - Thanks

You've read it wrong, i'm in no way blaming his girlfriend!

I mean she must be feeling terrible and thinking how differently things might have turned out if she had happened to be with him when he was taken ill - they don't live together, she lives in South Dublin with her teenage children.

I apologise for insinuating otherwise. Yes I suppose she might do but I hope not, it's just one of those things unfortunately.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I'd hope eth0_ didn't mean that, but things could have turned out differently. Probably we'll never know. eth0_ may not be explicitly be blaming GR's partner, but she may do herself; it's always easy to go down the what-if road.

Yes, nail on the head there. People will always go down the "what-if" road when they are grieving, it's a natural process. But it must be particularly hard for his poor girlfriend considering she was the one who found him this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I only spoke to him a couple of weeks ago. Often brilliant, often controversial, always entertaining. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

SV wrote: »
    Feel sorry for his family alright but jesus, the way some people are talking here, you'd swear he was your best friend.

I didn't really like the guy personally but I was listening to all the texts being read out on the Will Leahy show and people were pulled over on the side of the road crying in their cars. To some people he was their friend, they listened to him every day for 20 years. They felt like they knew him.

There's a lot of lonely people out there and if his radio show made their day a bit less lonely then of course this is going to be very upsetting for a lot of people that he's gone.

I apologise for insinuating otherwise. Yes I suppose she might do but I hope not, it's just one of those things unfortunately.

No problem.

It's easy for us to say "it's just one of those things" though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

RIP Gerry thanks for the memories !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Top story on Nine News.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stephanie3

Gerry was a legend. I can't believe how sad I felt all day since hearing the news. Will Leahy on 2fm sounded v upset when he was reading the tributes - tough job

RIP Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Top story on Nine News.

Fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alphanumeric

She must feel awful :( If she'd stayed at his place last night things might have turned out very differently.

I was thinking on the lines if it happened while he was in work he could still be alive, having people around to help etc... Really feel for him, numbed by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭doc_17

i loved turning on Gerry for his take on the morning papers. It'll be so empty now for so many people. Fair play to him for bringing a wee bit of light into so many lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

SV wrote: »
    Feel sorry for his family alright but jesus, the way some people are talking here, you'd swear he was your best friend.

It's a tribute thread to the man who lots of people loved..... if you don't like it , don't make silly comments?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement