Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Christ I hope his kids heard it from their mother or someone first.

First heard the rumour at 12 and he was found at what 10?

So 2 hours to break that news to 5 kids. Fcuk me. I don't even want to try and imagine how i'd feel if I heard a rumour that my old man had died.

Social networking has it's downfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Good Luck Gerry Really Enjoyed You and Your Show.RIP

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Irish_wolf

RIP Gerry thanks for keeping me entertained on the bus into college for the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Or...Or...Or...

...you can wait for the body to grow cold before you start attacking him.

I wasn't a fan either, but having a bit of class and letting everyone express their sadness before laying in isn't too much to ask.

I did not lay into him either
    I expressed an opinion on his life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Condolences to his family. He wasn't my cup of tea but he did seem to have a sense of humour about himself, especially when he appeared on a very funny episode of "A Scare At Bedtime".

RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sad to die so young. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Fishie wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times website, the alarm was raised when he failed to show up for work this morning :(

That's very sad.

RIP Gerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Hadn't listened to the show in recent years but really liked back in the day...RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

big_show wrote: »
    What about Miriam O'Callaghan or maybe Rick O' Shea?

They are not medical professionals, in this situation they are normal people, everyone working in the medical field needs to have some degree of discretion if not confidentiality, it goes with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

He had a tough few years the last few years. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

RIP Gerry Ryan.

A big loss to Irish media. Someone who dared to be different in a time when Ireland needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

sad for his family and friends. I seen the interview he did on the late late show when his daughter was in the audience. He seemed like a very proud dad and she seemed like a proud daughter.

tubridy is great friends with him. It should make for a sombre show tonight. I don't live in Ireland anymore so I won't be able to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Very sad news, He will be missed :( Rest in peace Gerry. Very, very hard to believe I'll never turn on 2fm in the mornings and hear him talk again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

RIP. Very sad news, i never really minded him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

terrible news

RIP Gerry

heart goes out to his kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Social networking has it's downfalls.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Giselle wrote: »
    How is that obvious, exactly? It could be any number of things.
    It's all related, and poor diet and inactivity is the 2nd biggest factor in these preventable deaths (with smoking being the largest factor).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Just checked the obituaries in the newspaper.

Apparently fifteen other people died today.

Anyway, RIP Gerry.

Any of those people, contribute to us, the Irish people as much as Gerry did? Highly doubtful.

Why are people scorning a dead man? Why do people detest his success and popularity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Such an awful shame, he had so much more to give the irish media, and what a legend!

rest in peace and may his family be left to grieve in peace.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

So shocked myself. Amazing how shocked you do be even though you wouldn't know them personally. Also was quite suprised how fast you can get these stories through twitter well before official news sites

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Huge fan of Gerry Ryan, listened to him religiously every morning and met him on a number of occasions. Extremely sad news. His poor children, he loved them so much, never stopped talking about them.

Just rang my mum to tell her there, she's in floods (she got me hooked!).

So sad, deepest sympathy to his family, friends and colleagues. Extremely talented man. R.I.P. Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have to say I never liked the guy, in fact I detested him, but as I got older I couldn't help but listen to his show and he will be a sad loss. It must be desperate for his family. As for the haters, let me say this, god help you
    when the morons in RTE decide on a replacement ;)

I would imagine that Gerry would want us to smile and laugh ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

jacool wrote: »
    RTE would have contacted the family first, not gone onto boards !

Eh, would you not think the gardai would have done that. You hardly think the gardai contact your employer before your family if they find you dead.
    She was well out of line putting this up on twitter - shows she has no class at all. The bitch should be forced to apologise by RTE

Hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

jacool wrote: »
    excuse me ! so this is how you think family and friends should hear news !

And you know that this is how they found out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

RIP Gerry, I was acquainted with his family many years ago and my heart goes out to them all. He was a good man and a good broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Care to explain what you mean by that?

If your offended by the comment, why bring it up again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

RIP Gerry, my mornings at home wont b the same now:(. Listened to Gerry since was a teenager, something very comforting about the sound of his voice. He had a lovely way with people, especially those going through hard times. God I could cry. God be with his family at this time. . ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement