Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

As much as many of you seem to be not fans of him, it must be said that in a way he was part of Irish life - everyone here, and people who now live abroad, all know about Gerry Ryan. I personally thought he was excellent, he always voiced his opinion clearly and was able to swear on RTE show early in the day, he certainly broke the cycle of dull and generic radio presenters RTE tend to have. I for one will miss his show, and I can't even imagine what the atmosphere is like in RTE right now. Sincerest condolences to his family and colleagues. He will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

So shocked as is the nation. My condolences go out to his family.
    RIP Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pix1e_head

Gerry Ryan dies and now its hail stoning....tis a dark day

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭thegoodgirl

Ah very sad news he was a legend on radio.

My condolences to his family and friends.
    53 is very young just shows you how fragile life is

Rest in Pease Gerry

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Seachmall wrote: »
    It's all related, and poor diet and inactivity is the 2nd biggest factor in these preventable deaths (with smoking being the largest factor).

A man has just died before his time, leaving a wife and five children. Some of his friends and colleagues may be reading this. Now is not the time, show some respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Sad to see that this thread went up so quickly after he died. It's a down side to boards.ie adn the internet.

Personally, i wouldn't have started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Fishie wrote: »
    A man has just died before his time, leaving a wife and five children. Some of his friends and colleagues may be reading this. Now is not the time, show some respect

The post I quoted asked how it was known that his diet was a factor in his death, I'm just stating the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

RIP.

Legend..........

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

mal1 wrote: »
    Sad to see that this thread went up so quickly after he died. It's a down side to boards.ie adn the internet.

Here here

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

jacool wrote: »
    excuse me ! so this is how you think family and friends should hear news !
    I agree with the poster - there have to be standards. My wife is a nurse and they are forbidden from discussing anything.
    Put yourself in their shoes and assume you have some friends. See what I mean?

I agree, My brother is a Paramedic, and never discusses any of the calls they have been out on..It's not the correct way for people to find out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 superelectric

But you'll gladly join in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Derek Mooney is still talking about his tits over on Radio One, not a word about it. Larry Gogan on 2fm sounded shook up, lots of music too, little talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Think they're only playing music on 2FM, haven't heard a DJ for ages.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hello folks. We are struggling to cope with the volumes of people as a result of this sad news.
    Please report any posts you find offensive or insulting and we will deal with them.
    Please refrain from quoting these messages and do not feed the trolls.
    Bans will be handed out liberally from here on in so please bear with us on this sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Graceomalley

Really sad news.
    I listened to his show a lot as a teenager on my school holidays and I loved how they captured the zeitgeist of the nation especially with big events like the World Cup, banter between him and Brenda etc. The show made talk radio about more than just news and people ringing in to give out about something.
    As a waitress working years ago in a Dublin hotel I served him a drink and had to break the news to him that he couldn’t order the sandwich he wanted due to some daft hotel rule about different menus at different times etc. With a lot of cajoling he managed to get his sandwich by gently ridiculing the rule but had everyone cracked up laughing in the process. He was a funny guy.
    Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

pix1e_head wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan dies and now its hail stoning....tis a dark day

Don't think they're related.

In all seriousness, I have sympathy for the man, family and friends but some of the comments on this thread are ridiculously over the top. Some people need to get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

wicklowgal wrote: »
    Think they're only playing music on 2FM, haven't heard a DJ for ages.

Aye, sad song too......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I didn't much like his radio show but this is very sad. He is like it or not a major part of Irish media/ culture. From what I have heard from people who had met him and his family he was a great dad. My heart goes out to his kids at this time. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

There is now 7 RIP Gerry Ryan pages on facebook...That is nucking futs!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Additionally, I can't see the Late Late Show going ahead tonight because of how close Ryan Tubridy was to Gerry Ryan. If the LLS does go ahead, then Tubridy is a much stronger person that I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Why? Once the family are informed it's fair game. It's news worthy, you don't think RTE weren't waiting to break the story? The OP just got there before them, that's the biggest benefit of the internet and social networking. It takes the power from big media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek::( Jaysus just heard:(.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Seachmall wrote: »
    The post I quoted asked how it was known that his diet was a factor in his death, I'm just stating the facts.

I'm not debating the facts, I'm just saying it's very inappropriate to be talking about this in a thread about a man who only died today. Imagine if it was one of your family or close friends

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Have to say I loved Gerry Ryan, I know he got on some peoples nerves,but if you're successful you will always do that.

RIP Gerry,You'll be sadly missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

:eek::( Jaysus just heard:(.

I've heard it all now, Ryan was so popular he even brought about the second coming !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Was never a fan of his but its sad that a relatively young man has died and his children are now without their father. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lillysforsam

Its now on Aertel. Someone in RTE must have read Boards and Decided to announce it......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

http://www.independent.ie/

Webpage updated.

(...and can we stop the stupid, petty, childish bickering?)
    Veteran broadcaster Gerry Ryan was found dead this afternoon in his Dublin apartment, Garda sources have confirmed.

The alarm was raised after the 53-year-old father of five failed to show up to present his daily chat show on 2FM this morning.
    "Mr Ryan was found dead in his apartment in Upper Lesson this morning," a senior Garda source said.
    It is understood the death is not being treated as suspicious.
    A Garda source said Ryan was found in his bedroom after officers were called to the scene when a friend couldn't gain access to the apartment in central Dublin.

The broadcaster announced a separation from his wife Morah in March 2008 after 26 years of marriage. The couple had five children together.
    After a stint in pirate radio, the often controversial and outspoken DJ joined Ireland's state broadcaster RTE in 1979.
    The Gerry Ryan Show began in 1988 and quickly became one of Ireland's most popular radio programmes.
    Ryan has also hosted several television series including Secrets, Ryantown, Gerry Ryan Tonight, Gerry Ryan's Hitlist and Ryan Confidential.

In 1994 Ryan co-presented the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest with former newsreader Cynthia Ni Mhurchu.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/gerry-ryan-found-dead-2160431.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement