Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

very sad news,my taughts and prayers for his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

sad news for his kids but i'm not gonna say he was a great guy cause he's died. always thought he was a bit of a plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

It may be from Buffy but that does not negate where the name comes from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azaria_Chamberlain_disappearance

.... Can anyone else see this?????! Yes obviously I delibrately chose my username to mock that situation, you got me. Write the fcuk what you want so, whatever mkes you feel good about your life. Boards.ie may have just lost itself a user. Sorry for trying to defend a man I had a lot of repect for.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I don't envy the guy on Radio 1 for having to frequently repeat the death of Gerry Ryan when the radio comes back from music and ads, must be heart-wrenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Mullins07 wrote: »
    I am referring to those that do not feel sympathy.

I don't want to look like I care but I think some idiots want to look like they don't care. The thing is, most people don't care about people like that.

You already know this.

Most people don't care in the emotional sense that he's dead. People act how they assume others expect them to act, they develop a social conciousness. Mourning the death of a celebrity is a meme. Humans didn't evolve to care about the death of strangers, the illusion that we do is constructed by our intellect, it's not natural for us.

The only people truly mourning his death are his family and friends. And my sympathy only goes out to them, most people in this thread should get off their high horse and act accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dean820 wrote: »
    The Johnny Giles 'death' was confirmed as a prank I think. Some fella posted it on wikipedia.

Thank f**k for that. Some fools on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

"here's the Ip address of someone, who's related to who we (us on the internet) suspect might have leaked the information about Gerry Ryans Death, officer"

The fact that it was mentioned is retarded.. the fact that someone from boards came out and said they'd be happy to help, is even more retarded.

Covering your arses or not, it still looks bad imo

It's not retarded at all. It's quite possible the post from the person who received a text from a relative who attended the scene is the source of the initial rumours. It is illegal for healthcare professionals, the gardai etc to disclose this sort of information to "civilians". If Ryan's family or the HSE launched an investigation into this then the Gardai or lawyers would be well within their rights to disclose user information.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

doncarlos wrote: »
    Are you for real?? Because people make jokes in bad taste they shouldn't exist?

I suppose I could not say that society could do without a person based on that criterion alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Sorry to hear that, though I wasn't a fan of his by any means. RIP Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

.... Can anyone else see this?????! Yes obviously I delibrately chose my username to mock that situation, you got me. Write the fcuk what you want so, whatever mkes you feel good about your life. Boards.ie may have just lost itself a user. Sorry for trying to defend a man I had a lot of repect for.

Let it go. Back on topic lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

If you're not near a radio, you can listen to the live stream of 2FM whilst still on boards:
    http://2fm.rte.ie/now_playing/popout

They were playing his favourite songs a few mins ago, just mentioned they are getting txts and emails from his listeners in by the thousands.
    Very sad news, I'm actually surprised by the fact that I'm all teared up over someone I haven't met, but I guess you don't realise how attached you can get to a familiar voice and personality-even if it is from the radio or telly.
    Feel so sorry for his colleagues working today, must be hell for them. Condolescences to his family and friends.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Oh so if one of their own dies, there aare to be no reports.

I will remember that the next time RTÉ News decide to lead with the death of someone famous

TV3 was Scolded by many big time about releasing the News of Brian Lenihans Cancer on ST Stephens day.

Official complaints were rejected by the Broadcasting Committee of Ireland.
    So it looks like this kind of incident is here to stay even if it seems wrong to many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

"here's the Ip address of someone, who's related to who we (us on the internet) suspect might have leaked the information about Gerry Ryans Death, officer"

The fact that it was mentioned is retarded.. the fact that someone from boards came out and said they'd be happy to help, is even more retarded.

Covering your arses or not, it still looks bad imo

As does people saying "lets make sure this guy gets sacked." It was intended as a "lets drop this subject - it's no one's business but the HSE's" post, but obviously hasn't read like that so my apologies. It's nothing to do with covering ourselves legally (we haven't broken any law).

So again, please accept my apologies for alarming people. Lets move on.

Dav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I never liked the guy but this is still awful. Condolences to the family.

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Tony Fenton on Matt cooper now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Seachmall wrote: »
    Most people don't care in the emotional sense that he's dead. People act how they assume others expect them to act, they develop a social conciousness. Mourning the death of a celebrity is a meme. Humans didn't evolve to care about the death of strangers, the illusion that we do is constructed by our intellect, it's not natural for us.

The only people truly mourning his death are his family and friends.

I don't think you can say that, he was a familiar character to hundred of thousands. Many people would know him better than their own workmates, he was part of their daily lives. It was still a real relationship even if it was asymmetrical. Our brains don't distinguish between people we hear on the radio/tv and people to whom we talk directly, they're still fully formed people in our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Dean820 wrote: »
    The Johnny Giles 'death' was confirmed as a prank I think. Some fella posted it on wikipedia.

Glad to hear that. Stupid prank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

RIP, Gerry condolences to family & friends.

I really disliked his show and never listened to it as he was really a shockjock but he was good at it and like him or loathe him he will be missed. The time he presented the Late Late was probably his best ever and he would have been far better than Ryan Tubridy

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kavsmdf

Gerry Ryan was a good man, he had a lot of time for everybody, and helped out hundreds, if not thousands of people on his show, just by talking to them.

I always enjoyed listening to him and have a lot of respect for that man.

R.I.P.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

PK2008 wrote: »
    Hey calm down man. You werent related to the guy by any chance were you?

Its sad and all, but lets not go Princess Diana all over it

No but I have lost someone quite close to me recently that was a similiar age to Gerry. Dont usually get so dramatic over things but this just hit close to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Once again, sanctimony central from people who didn't give a fuk about him when he was alive and won't give a fuk about him in a few hours - probably couldn't stand him.

Oh and LOL at all the comments at the start of the thread saying "This thread is awful, it shouldn't be open - his family should be notified first" which only served to... highlight the situation that it was being asked to dumb down... :confused:

I think Gerry Ryan was a very good radio presenter, often quite entertaining, and a highly intelligent, sharp, informed man. I also have my criticisms of him, which I'm entitled to as he was in the public eye and his death doesn't change what he was like in life.

But a father aged only 54 has died and that's a terrible tragedy no matter whom. I genuinely do feel sadness for his children, and all the others who were close to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

The Scene

253274_1.jpg?ts=1272642435

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

I didn't know Gerry personally but I am saddened for his family and all of my best wishes are with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

My sympathies to the family of Gerry Ryan. He made a lasting impression on many Irish people and they will no doubt be sore at this news.
    However, a lot of his comment was in bad taste and only served to make him look like an indulgent ego maniac. I won't be crying any rivers but I respect that there may be people who want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Seachmall wrote: »
    Most people don't care in the emotional sense that he's dead.

i'd say those distressed listeners, whose letters he read out over the years, that felt he made a positive impact on their lives feel his death emotionally on some level. Although, i agree they and others shouldn't mourn him as family and friends do. As it's seems strange to me to mourn someone you don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Wasnt he meant to be getting his own Saturday night talk show?
    Its the one thing he always wanted, to make it big on t.v which he had tried many times, so sad that he wont now get to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

not a big fan of G Ryan but this is sad, my sincere condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

sink wrote: »
    I don't think you can say that, he was a familiar character to hundred of thousands. Many people would know him better than their own workmates, he was part of their daily lives. It was still a real relationship even if it was asymmetrical. Our brains don't distinguish between people we hear on the radio/tv and people to whom we talk directly, they're still fully formed people in our minds.

It's not an emotional connection or relationship, it's a constructed one. We can only form emotional relationships with those who we directly interact with. Bonds need to be formed and trust needs to be earned, that can't happen in an asymmetrical relationship (unless the listener has mental problems of course, which generally results in obsessions/stalking/harassment/etc.).

All relationships are two way, if they're not emotional connections cannot be formed. If there is no emotional connection there is no emotion response and everything that encompasses.

Darwin, Freud and Ekman have all written about relationships and how they're formed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

So its Boards.ie's fault that your too ignorant to know what your username refers to?

I dont see how thats the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement