Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

From Sunday nights in front of the TV watching School Around the Corner as a kid...to late mornings lying in bed skipping college lectures to listening to his entertaining rants about the difference between the sexes, weird and wacky phobias, bodily functions; serious discussions about inadequacies in the health service, his 0.05c on NAMA and the budget, interviews with sick patients, irate parents, politicians; banter with authors and artists, humorously frank paper reviews, his infamous 'Santa's sack' every Christmas.

He was unembarrassable, articulate, insightful, frank, humorous, sometimes arrogant, cocky, often distasteful, always tongue-in-cheek and everyone had an opinion on him.

Like him or loathe him, Gerry Ryan was an entertainer, and one of a kind.

I personally liked him, he had balls, he never held back.

I was just thinking about his funeral earlier, how big it will be and what the death of such a figure as Gerry Ryan means to all of us, and realised that the one voice I'd have been waiting for to put it into words, would have been Gerry Ryan's.

His voice will be truly missed.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilis xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It's just a very sad thing.Later Gerry. Shine on you crazy diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Paddywhat banned.

From listening to Gerry on the radio and knowing how much he thought of his five children, I reckon his wish atm would be that they were protected from the rubbish and downright hurtful things that have been posted in this thread.

Shame on all of you who have had your posts deleted, and rightly so.

Sleep contented Gerry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

It really is the lowest of the low where certain posters on here disrespect a great man who cant defend himself, i dunno how these people sleep at night but yet there on here full of wisdom when it comes to certain issues but when it comes down respecting a fellow human being they lack the respect dignity that someone should have when it comes to talking ill of dead people. Shame on them, shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I was nearly as shocked to find out he was 53. To me, he was always young at heart, being mischievous, precocious, annoying, all knowing and loud but immensely entertaining for 20 years, whether I was 14 or 35.

Didn't really listen to him in the last 10 years or so but whenever I found myself tuned in, he drew me in, hook, line and sinker. What will he say next? What will I get righteously indignant about next?

Now he's gone, people will realise how much of a talent he had as a radio broadcaster.

As for his TV Career, the less said the better! :o

A legend of radio.

RIP Gerry.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It's just a very sad thing.Later Gerry. Shine on you crazy diamond.

From 'Listen', probably my fav 'Git CD... nice.

(although you prob mean't Pink Floyd?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I never heard this version before.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dermatrov

Thanks for this. Glad to see boards on the ball.

Paddywhat banned.

From listening to Gerry on the radio and knowing how much he thought of his five children, I reckon his wish atm would be that they were protected from the rubbish and downright hurtful things that have been posted in this thread.

Shame on all of you who have had your posts deleted, and rightly so.

Sleep contented Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

The tribute on the 9 o'clock news was good it had him saying the Fcuk word. That would be Gerry for ya. It'll be that bit boring now without him on radio.
    He was a character. Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I never heard this version before.

So many great version's about, but I'm a big Christy fan!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Colour me cynical, but I just don't get this whole 'cult of personality' thing.

It's not this thread that irks me, but the whole craven rush to the alter to mourn the passing of the golden-calf, of how indicative and revealing it is of the true Irish nature and the obsession with celebrity culture.

I stopped here.

I think what you will find on this thread is "HUMAN NATURE" towards someone who was a part of the "fabric" of many peoples lives. This person has died and people want to show their appreciation and thanks for what he did in his relatively short life..

If that bothers you then go away. Simple.

Just dont spout that ****e in a thread that's trying to honour a person to who they thought "PART OF THE FAMILY"....

And really, people do feel that way !

:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

So many great version's about, but I'm a big Christy fan!...

Me too, have nearly all his albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have to say RTE played a blinder on this, probably a Dobson hand in there? True professional.

Rightly put as a second story on 6-1. Imagine if it was the lead story? This place would be in melt down and we'd have 100 Noob pages extra on here. 900 job losses is a massive story.

I knock RTE at every opportunity but at the times they get it right, boy, do they get it right.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Still hasnt sank in tbh

Not his no.1 fan but not a hater either. As said "he was part of the furniture" in modern irish pop culture which extended back over 2 decades. Like anyone's opinion, people either agreed or disagreed with him but his co-workers were right, he put himself and his views across very well.

RIP Gerry, the shock jock last shock....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 family guy

I met Gerry a few times while on work experience in RTE when I was in college, he was very nice and took time to talk to me and I even sat in the studio for half an hour while he was on-air.

I went on to finish college and work for a radio station as a producer, they never seen me as a presenter, but if I was ever to become a presenter i think Gerrys style would have had a big effect on me, I thought of him as the peoples presenter, a man of the people, even though he had a huge salary and im sure a lavish lifestyle.

I worked with colm & jim jim and tuned in this morning just before 9 and was surprised to hear them still on, I thought to myself, I bet Gerry wasup too late drinking his whiskey, as he often mentioned on air and had 1 too many so rang in sick, I also thought I wonder does he get into trouble for just not turning in, or is he too big of a star, little did I know or colm & jim jim or fiona luley, who presented for him today, that he was actually dead in his apartment.

there have been many times others filled in for him on the radio show but I would not stay tuned in too long, it was gerrys show and only gerry could do it, he will be missed by all his fans who tuned in in there thousands every morning to listen, but our loss will be nothing compared to that of his wife & children.

he talked many times about his children and how proud he was of them, its you that are now in my thoughts and I hope you will smile when you think of your dad as we all will, he brought so much joy to peoples lives by doing what he loved to do.

Gerry would of been the first broadcaster on monday morning to talk about the death of someone famous so i think he will be smiling down as we all talk about him

good bye Gerry Ryan, may you R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

(although you prob mean't Pink Floyd?)

I did....but this fits better.So thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Ardent

Rest in peace Gerry. Can't believe you're gone, you were too young to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

family guy wrote: »

I worked with colm & jim jim and tuned in this morning just before 9 and was surprised to hear them still on, I thought to myself, I bet Gerry wasup too late drinking his whiskey, as he often mentioned on air and had 1 too many so rang in sick, I also thought I wonder does he get into trouble for just not turning in, or is he too big of a star, little did I know or colm & jim jim or fiona luley, who presented for him today, that he was actually dead in his apartment.

I thought the very same thing this morning! Was looking forward to his news review on my drive to work - and more than likely shouting obscenities at the radio in disagreement with some of his opinions... but no more, RIP Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Couldn't believe it when I heard this today. I was never a huge fan of his and didn't agree with everything he said but he always entertained and kept you interested.

A very sad day for Irish broadcasting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Good luck Gerry, and go n-éirí an bóthar leat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

family guy wrote: »
    I met Gerry

good bye Gerry Ryan, may you R.I.P

Well said!
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CrackerXYZ

Rest in Peace Gerry.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Its **** seeing anyone die at such a young age,treat every day as your last he was very good at what he did.

RIP Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

as he would say himself 'good day & godbless'

made me smile many's the morning on the drive to work

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

rest in peace geariod may the misery serve u well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

I absolutely cannot believe Gerry Ryan has passed away, at such a young age. He was an incrediable broadcaster, and helped out so many people over the years with his show on 2fm, from 9 till midday. My condolances go out to his family, friends, his partner, and his collegues at this difficult time. He spoke his mind, and was frank, and honest and very witty. A man who died long before his time. He will be missed by so many people. May he rest in Peace xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

First time..ever hearing that song in any version..and im the better for it.Cheers Emmalyn Quiet Fowl ;)

For Gerry Ryan, his family, friends, and collegues. You are all in our thoughts and prayers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFyiWlp13a8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Quite a shock. Gerry Ryan entertained and informed a lot of people from 9 to 12 every day. Deepest sympathies to his friends and family. R.I.P.

• Advertisement

I intend to lay flowers outside RTE tomorrow, if people are doing that? I guess I'll see when I get there. I have read some of this very long thread, and some people who posted rude/cruel/inappropriate comments should be ashamed of yourselves. How would you feel if someone said comments like that about one of your loved one's who died?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement