Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

R.I.P Gerry, so sad

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

RIP G Ryan... gave a great aul laugh in the sick mornings off work/college...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lateworm

I am gutted. I will miss him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Damn it's like losing a close friend, I've listened to him on and off since the 80's when I listened to his nighttime show remember it started with a Prince track I think called Lights Out anyway for the last 8 months my job has me driving around a lot and Listened to Gerry a lot, so it was like chatting with a friend every morning, thought this morning he had taken the day off as he was due at some event in Athlone, he talked about every subject remember him having an item about Modern Warfare 2 before it was released to this week talking about charity bag packing in supermarkets. Anyway RIP Gerry my mornings will never be the same again :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Well I certainly didn't always agree with him and cringed often while listening. It didn't stop me tuning in and he'll be a big loss in our house.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jayteecork wrote: »
    Any idea of the cause yet?

Suspected heart attack but no official cause of death has been announced and probably wont until tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

I used to listen to Gerry Ryan on Radio 2 at night as a secondary school student. He helped me through manys a long night of overdue homework and cramming for exams. I was even upset when he moved to daytime radio as I felt he had sold out to the establishment! I tuned in and out of his radio show over the years but he was always there. The Lavinia Kerwick story in particular will always stand out for me. Gerry Ryan deserves a lot of credit for the support he gave her and all women. I will miss him. Sincere condolences to his family. They can be very proud of their father. May be rest in peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Colour me cynical, but I just don't get this whole 'cult of personality' thing.

It's not this thread that irks me, but the whole craven rush to the alter to mourn the passing of the golden-calf, of how indicative and revealing it is of the true Irish nature and the obsession with celebrity culture.

Hundreds of sufferers of Cystic Fibrosis die in this country every year due to our country being one of the worst in Europe to provide resources for this particular condition, where are their wailing media advocates being interviewed on the verge of tears in the Montrose carpark?

Again, I'm not interested into getting into any 'internetz' wars with anyone in a non face-to-face basis over this, I'm just trying to express a feeling of shock I have over the inability of Irish people to exercise any sense of true perspective around this event.

Loving the botched attempts at social commentary here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

eth0_ wrote: »
    You can't have liked him *that* much, considering he's been a 2FM presenter his entire life and has never worked for Today FM!
    Excuse me for being so shocked I can barely spll rite!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

Gerry Ryan was to me sometime infuriating and at other times unmissable. I often remember as a rep on the road years ago not being bake to get out of my car because he would be covering some topic that would keep you stuck to the radio.

I stopped listening a few years ago but used to tune in the odd time for his excellent paper review. The last time I listened to him he was discussing a decision a man and his wife were trying to make about aborting their baby due to a serious heart condition the baby was developing in the womb, his show was the only show not just in this country but in a lot of other countries that would cover a topic as sensitive as that.

He will be sorely missed by about 250,000 loyal listeners every day.

As a farther myself I feel so sorry for his wife, children and his partner.

Watching the late late he seemed like a great laugh to be around with all the stories they were telling especially pat Kenny whom I would have thought that Gerry Ryan would not be the type of person he would hang around with.

RIP G Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I can't believe he's gone, i can remember him from the first time on radio 2 over 30 years ago, such a long time a familiar voice and suddenly he's gone.

The first line from the song Afterimage seems perfect,

'Suddenly you were gone,
    From all the lives you left your mark upon,'

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

God love him.

an image from 30 years ago.....

in darkest New Ross at Christmas home on holiday from Dublin. Listening to Radio 2 ( as it was ) Ryan playing Led Zeppelin "Heartbreaker".. and his comment after the song.... " My My thats the real thing".. Gerry won my heart over after that.

My deepest sorrow to Manno ( ex Digital ) and all of Gerry's Family.

Life is mostly froth and bubble
    yet two things stand alone.
    Compassion in another's trouble
    and courage in ones own.

I am really really sorry.

May Valhalla welcome you Gerry. Godspeed and thank you.

Tadhg Russell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Do we have any sense of proportion in this country? Our government is pouring billions into failed speculative banks while our educational and health systems are on their knees, yet the whole country seems completely wigged-out by the death of a disc-jockey.

The economy, banks, and healthcare system are in trouble?
    Really?
    Gee, those topics have never been covered before :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

On 2fm now, Mr Springs words about Gerry Ryan are quite beautiful. Sounds like he knew him from when he was a kid.

I was not a Gerry Ryan fan but i know sincerity when i hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EskimoJack

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

The news of his death is the most-read story on the BBC News website at the moment - strange, considering he wasn''t really known here :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I was not a GR fan and I did not like his show on radio.

However, the man has died and I wish to express my condolences to his wife and children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Bathtime on a Saturday night, then watching that show where Gerry used to slime people, can't remember what it was called, I was very young, but fond memories nonetheless!!

I used to live in Ballsbridge and I remember meeting him in there in the local offie with his younger kids in 2008, they were so little then. They're far too young to have lost their dad.

I got a bit emotional watching the Late Late tonight. Not a Pat Kenny fan, nor Joe Duffy, but their genuine sadness at the loss of a friend would move anyone.

As to those who said that we have more important things to think about in this country, recession, banking crisis, blah blah blah, in my opinion Gerry Ryan was a kind of a figure head for our generation, one of the few institutions of Irish society, and it does shake you to know he's just not there any more. If anything it shows us that we need to stop freaking out over the economy, get some perspective on life and live it while we can. Gerry was what, 53 or 54? Just shows you never know when your time will be up. Look at his huge salary, what good is it to him now? More important things in life than money.

RIP Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

RIP Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Gerry Ryan said bollocks on the radio, amoungst other things. He's an absolute legend...

Do you remember the things he used to talk about, what he said on certain topics.

Sorry, radio guy just reminded me of something :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

This thread is wreckin my head. .Gerry Ryan came across as a hardworking,decent,funny,honest and "normal" guy.I was genuinely upset when i heard he died today.Why?Im not quite sure.:o

Im not a 2FM regular but i liked him alot on both radio and telly.Im 30 and he just seemed to be "part of the furniture". He seemed liked a happy, charasmatic,risk taking,cheeky,intelligent guy who made a decent living from cheering people up,pissing people off and genuinely just "having the craic"!

You have to respect a guy, who in the 1980s+ chanced his arm and worked his arse off,made a a beautiful family and lasted 22 (!!!!) years in radio and TV with very little bad things to be said about him.

My Dad whos 55 was shocked today.He works in the airport and has met and served him loadsa times over the years. His words "lovely young man"!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Seems to have calmed in here at last. Rough few pages. Some users have presented themselves in a completely different light. I worry when some people can't show any level of compassion when someone has passed away.

RIP Gerry you'll be sorely missed by countless aching hearts.

G'night all. o/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 delz0r

aw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

brummytom wrote: »
    The news of his death is the most-read story on the BBC News website at the moment - strange, considering he wasn''t really known here :/

As far as i can see, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Do you remember the things he used to talk about, what he said on certain topics.

I always remember (years ago) when he interviewed a young man whose brother and father had been killed by the IRA because they were working for the British army in N.I.

The young guy was devastated by the murder of his family members (this was before any ceasefire) and Gerry finished the interview by playing Desperado, by The Eagles..

The significance will be lost on a lot of the younger members of boards who don't remember the war in Northern Ireland and the people affected by it.

Gerry Ryan had the gift of being able to speak to, and befriend, both princes and paupers.

Once again, I say R.I.P. to the soul of Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dermatrov

Spot on. Not only was he a great jock, and a funny family guy, he waswell respected. Apparently even Chris Evans credits Gerry for his forray into radio

RIP Ger. The ryan line is closed.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    This thread is wreckin my head. .Gerry Ryan came across as a hardworking,decent,funny,honest and "normal" guy.I was genuinely upset when i heard he died today.Why?Im not quite sure.:o

Im not a 2FM regular but i liked him alot on both radio and telly.Im 30 and he just seemed to be "part of the furniture". He seemed liked a happy, charasmatic,risk taking,cheeky,intelligent guy who made a decent living from cheering people up,pissing people off and genuinely just "having the craic"!

You have to respect a guy, who in the 1980s+ chanced his arm and worked his arse off,made a a beautiful family and lasted 22 (!!!!) years in radio and TV with very little bad things to be said about him.

My Dad whos 55 was shocked today.He works in the airport and has met and served him loadsa times over the years. His words "lovely young man"!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*ckin hell, that's pretty insane

Thoughts are with the family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

RIP Gerry. Always switched over to 2fm for the news and then some G. Ryan for the rest of the morning. Simply Irreplacable.

Will always, always remember him talking to a mother, recalling the last meal she had with her son before he committed suicide.

Ger finished the interview with Madonna's 'Take a Bow'. I cried.

You know what folks, behind the Jameson and showmanship was a man with empathy and decorum when it was needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Some of the messages on here are disgraceful. Seriously if you don't have anything positive to contribute stfu and gtfo.

RIP Gerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ananas wrote: »
    Some of the messages on here are disgraceful. Seriously if you don't have anything positive to contribute stfu and gtfo.

RIP Gerry

As was suggested before, thread should be locked for a period and the rubbish filtered out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement