Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

aDeener wrote: »
    so assuming you read newspapers and watch the news you are sad everyday of the week?
    I feel saddened any time I hear about someone dying early and leaving children behind. That's normal, as you know.
    ok then, why do you object to that and not people who are saying how sad it is and how they feel sorry for him when they couldnt stand him when alive?
    I SAID I object to people barging in, wagging their finger and telling us to "show some respect" like a ****ing nanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

RIP

He will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Seachmall wrote: »
    It's not an emotional connection or relationship, it's a constructed one. We can only form emotional relationships with those who we directly interact with. Bonds need to be formed and trust needs to be earned, that can't happen in an asymmetrical relationship (unless the listener has mental problems of course, which generally results in obsessions/stalking/harassment/etc.).

All relationships are two way, if they're not emotional connections cannot be formed. If there is no emotional connection there is no emotion response and everything that encompasses.

Darwin, Freud and Ekman have all written about relationships and how they're formed.

I'm not very well read on the subject as you but from my own anecdotal observations certain people do seem to become very emotionally attached to celebrities whom they admire. I don't think it can be entirely put down to mental illness or social constructs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its a bit weird i never listen to his show on the radio but the last two mornings i have been listening intently when driving. feel very odd about this one.

RIP and all condolences to the family.

For all the clowns posting get a life as unforuntely this man has lost his prematurely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dudess wrote: »

I SAID I object to people barging in, wagging their finger and telling us to "show some respect" like a ****ing nanny.

it's obviously extremely important to you that we all know exactly how you feel about this. Well, we know now, so please can you stop going on about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's a discussion forum, people are discussing.

Some are. Others are spoiling for fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

One of my first memories of talk radio was when my uncle was home from england and we were out for a drive and he had Gerry on.
    Gerry was talking to some fella who owned a pub who had these wooden carvings of mermaids at the bar but people kept stealing the mermaids nipples!
    Decided that they would have had to do a lot of fiddling with the nipples to remove them :D My uncle nearly crashed the car laughing

Me and a mate were on the bounce one day back around 1990 and phoned the radio show.

My mate phoned him and said his mother had kicked him out cause he was wearing black jeans that were too tight.

Gerry dedicated the whole show to this guy and how he was going to get him off the streets, people started phoning in telling stories of their parents not letting them wear tight jeans or have long hair etc.

Right ar the end of the show my mate tells Gerry it was a ll a wind-up, he laughed :p

Was class, we had it recorded on cassette and used to play it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Overheal wrote: »
    Im sorry to the Mods: But why the fcuk does it matter what his user name is?

He expressed his upset that people were not showing enough respect for a dead person. Others pointed out that his username failed to show the same respect to a dead person. He then went on a rant that confused me, he was leaving boards.ie because he got his username wrong.. or something.
    Quit personally attacking the user about their Pseudonym.

I wasnt attacking the user. I was attacking his ridiclous rant. Leave the modding to forums you actually mod, yeh?

edit:
    oops, only saw the mod warning after i quoted this message.
    Oh, and this. This is the only idea I have of what you're talking about, myself.

The wikipedia article about the incident in question was linked a few pages ago. Read the bloody thread before you go off on one please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

good post.
    i'm not taking the mickey here, rather i'm genuinely interested to know does the idea of living forever not terrify you? i can't get my head around it. sorry if this is off-topic.

Well, if only Gerry could be on the radio on Monday, we would know.

I heard heaven described, it was a discussion on Radio 1 and they referred to how Pope Benedict described heaven, not the exact quote but roughly similar, it is an eternal moment of sheer bliss.

I could live forever with that, as long as it wasn't the alternative...sheer hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

tbh wrote: »
    it's obviously extremely important to you that we all know exactly how you feel about this. Well, we know now, so please can you stop going on about it.

Dudess just has a clear case of cognitive dissonance in regards to her own mortality going on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

Hello all. I just thought people should be aware that his eldest son Rex has a boards.ie account before they post. As someone who knew Gerry I can say hand on heart the guy was a complete gentleman and will be missed by kids immensely, he was a great father to all of them. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

tbh wrote: »

Needed a mod intervention, this one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Will leahy just talking about Chris Evans respect for Gerry.

Had a look on Evans twitter page, this is what he said:
    " Thx to everyone who tweeted me the G.R. news. I have been holed up and out of the loop all day. He really was the cream of our radio crop.

Gerry Ryan R.I.P. Absolutely one of the best broadcasters in the world. Fabulous, fabulous communicator. Very sad to hear he has left us"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

rip, mornings wont be the same loved his sense of humour:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I was never a big fan of his, he will be missed by so many people. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Not a Jameson twelve-year-old?

Sure I will raise one* of them aswell .

* Maybe a couple more

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK Take the petty infighting to PM.

There will be no more warnings.
    A smattering of quotes from banned posters or those walking very close to the line:

PK2008 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that quote is taken straight from a famous case in Australia- regardless of who has used it since its still refers to that.

While I agree its bad taste to slag off the dead, its a bit ironic lecturing people about it with that username
    Oh so if one of their own dies, there aare to be no reports.

I will remember that the next time RTÉ News decide to lead with the death of someone famous
    Anyone have any photos of the scene at Ballsbridge?

Much activity?
    Oh please??
    "here's the Ip address of someone, who's related to who we (us on the internet) suspect might have leaked the information about Gerry Ryans Death, officer"

The fact that it was mentioned is retarded.. the fact that someone from boards came out and said they'd be happy to help, is even more retarded.

Covering your arses or not, it still looks bad imo
    sad news for his kids but i'm not gonna say he was a great guy cause he's died. always thought he was a bit of a plonker.
    .... Can anyone else see this?????! Yes obviously I delibrately chose my username to mock that situation, you got me. Write the fcuk what you want so, whatever mkes you feel good about your life. Boards.ie may have just lost itself a user. Sorry for trying to defend a man I had a lot of repect for.
    Thank f**k for that. Some fools on the internet
    eth0_ wrote: »
    It's not retarded at all. It's quite possible the post from the person who received a text from a relative who attended the scene is the source of the initial rumours. It is illegal for healthcare professionals, the gardai etc to disclose this sort of information to "civilians". If Ryan's family or the HSE launched an investigation into this then the Gardai or lawyers would be well within their rights to disclose user information.
    The Scene

253274_1.jpg?ts=1272642435
    Dustaz wrote: »
    So its Boards.ie's fault that your too ignorant to know what your username refers to?

I dont see how thats the case.
    no you don't. you pity them. i highly doubt you are at home, thinking about his children the whole time feeling for the poor creakures. and why would you, you dont know them.

i agreed with everything you said until that
    Ageispolis wrote: »
    I hate that kind of false behaviour also, but to be fair, the majority of comments don't seem to be sanctimonious; in fact a lot of people have said more or less what you have said, i.e. they had plenty of criticisms of the man and didn't like him, but were nonetheless sad for his family. What you said would mirror my own feelings on the matter.
    Serious amount of numpties have came out of the woodwork for this one.. Good thing i don't look at boards when i'm not in work.

Hopefully they'll all have legged it by Tuesday.
    Why is everybody suddenly an expert on how everybody else feels?
    Of course you can, how much more of an invasion of someones rights can it be for the medical professional who picks you up blabbing about it to everyone? I think if your Dad was the one who was dead you'd be pretty pissed off that the Ambulance personell had a gossip about it.
    right yeah :rolleyes: you must be an awful depressed person so
    Not my evaluation. Charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud and Paul Ekman have all written about emotions and relationships. I'm just regurgitating. If you dispute it take it up with them, not me.

This is getting more than off topic, if you (or anyone) wants the name of some books on the subject feel free to PM me.
    Nope. Stop being obnoxious maybe? With the rolleyes and the nitpicking it just looks like you're spoiling for an argument.

Just because you react a certain way in these situations doesn't mean everyone else is the same as you.
    liverpo wrote: »
    Clearly people are spilt over liking the guy or not, I fall into the liking him brigade and its a testament to the man himself with the outpouring...the majority of the big radio stations are remembering him and speaking very respective-fully, just looking at this thread also shows the interest and emotions he could evoke...not many people could do this.

Oh and btw Dudess you're a pain in the arse...sorry mods for going off topic, but it had to be said.
    Overheal wrote: »
    ?
    azzeretti wrote: »
    Exactly. In 2nd year you'll be told to forget everything they said as it's dubious at best. Freud?? Hilarious......
    Such a thanks whore :pac:
    I'm not doing Psychology, and I know Frued's work has been criticised more than once but Ekman is the leading researcher in the field of emotions and a lot of his work is based on Darwin's original observations. Their theories are solid, and I'll take their word over anyone here. No offence.
    you said you are sad everytime a father dies? that happens numerous times everyday. in your post you went off giving out about people expressing their condolences for the man when they didnt like him when he was alive. yet you come out with something like that. it deserves to be nitpicked out imo
    Normally when I throw an insult at someone, I give at least one reason why.
    At least spell his name correctly.
    When I hear about it, yes.

No, I object to the non stop po-faced "Show some respect!" teacher-like chastising.
    Why do people who are "paying respect" feel the need to say they didn't like his show? :confused:

NO MORE OF THIS.

Take your infighting to PM. Now.
    Take your problems with moderation to us via PM. Please report any posts you find offensive. Same as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Needed a mod intervention, this one. Thanks.

I'm not a mod of ah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

As much a void as when charles manson croaks it, was liked and missed by his sheep. Although, not everyone liked him. Still a man is entitled to his opinions in the this Free State we suppose ourselves to live in.

Pure mental this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

RIP Gerry :(

Was always a fan of his -morning radio wont be the same with out him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Originally Posted by Seachmall viewpost.gif

Darwin, Freud and Ekman have all written about relationships and how they're formed.

Darwin Freud and Ekman studied radio talkshow hosts and their audiences, ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

There's a tribute show to him on 2fm at 10am tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

RIP Gerry, I remember so many of your shows as both a kid and an adult. From 'Number One' to Secrets, Ryan Confidential to Operation Transformation. My condolences to his family and his colleagues at RTE. Am listening to all the tributes coming in and its genuinely moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

TV3 made reference to his girlfriend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I now understand why I don't come round here on Boards as much as I used to.
    Some of the posts here are pure drivel and disrespectful of someones passing, no matter who or what they were when they were alive.

Shame on some of you mortals cos' when your time comes, it'd be ironic for a lot of this stuff posted in this thread to be said about your departure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sink wrote: »
    I'm not very well read on the subject as you but from my own anecdotal observations certain people do seem to become very emotionally attached to celebrities whom they admire. I don't think it can be entirely put down to mental illness or social constructs.
    Agreed. Our 100,000 year old brain feels the loss, because it "knows" these people. They hear them, see them, may know about their lives and that can bypass the critical thinking filter. When our minds evolved if we had that information about someone we did know them. Its not that long ago when someone famous like a king could walk around unnoticed. Nowadays we're much more up close and personal with people we may never meet. If someone well known online was to pass away, then many people would be genuinely and rightly upset, even though all they knew of them were letters on a screen.

So these outpourings of sadness are real emotions, both for the loss of "someone we knew" and the social communal loss that may be felt in say an office where people would listen to the chap everyday. And the simple loss of a fixture in ones life. Its not a mental illness unless one considers the human condition to be one(though.... :))

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

sink wrote: »

People do become attached but the don't form relationships. It has more to do with their routine being altered and them feeling a loss of control (not to mention people put themselves in his or his family's position). That added to the whole social conciousness thing creates this BS hysteria we're seeing and see every time a celebrity dies.

(Of course the post 2 posts above might be right, who knows :/)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

i just remembered his school around the corner show when i was younger. I was actually on the show and just remembered. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

<snip>

Not a gerry ryan fan at all but it's sad when anyone dies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

BreakingNews.ie report:
    Tributes paid to Gerry Ryan after his sudden death

Tributes are being paid to broadcaster Gerry Ryan after his body was discovered today in his Dublin apartment.

The 53-year-old father-of-five from Clontarf in Dublin had been broadcasting on 2fm for more than two decades.

He failed to show up for his radio show this morning. A friend who could not gain access to his Leeson Street apartment alerted gardaí.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen has described Ryan as a "broadcaster of immense talent and popularity, whose legion of fans will all be greatly shocked".

Environment Minister John Gormley and Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny also issued statements paying tribute to the broadcaster.

Broadcasting colleagues have remembered Ryan as a "bright spark" (Shay Healy) and a "great broadcaster" (Larry Gogan).

Radio One broadcaster Derek Mooney made a brief statement during his afternoon programme passing on condolences from colleagues to Ryan's family and friends.

Ryan announced a separation from his wife Morah in March 2008 after 26 years of marriage. The couple had five children together.

After a stint in pirate radio, the often controversial and outspoken DJ joined RTE in 1979.

The Gerry Ryan Show began in 1988 and quickly became one of Ireland’s most popular radio programmes.

Ryan has also hosted several television series including Secrets, Ryantown, Gerry Ryan Tonight, Gerry Ryan’s Hitlist and Ryan Confidential.

In 1994 Ryan co-presented the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest with former newsreader Cynthia Ni Mhurchu.

The Taoiseach said he was deeply saddened to learn of Ryan’s death.

“Gerry was a household name and a broadcaster of immense talent and popularity,” he said. “His legion of fans will all be greatly shocked to hear this sad news. He was one of the greats of modern Irish broadcasting on radio and television.”

Mr Cowen said the popular Gerry Ryan Show on 2FM was compulsive listening for hundreds of thousands of people.

“As a broadcaster, Gerry Ryan was both informed and intelligent, forthright and articulate,” he said.

“As a man, he was generous, famously irreverent and witty. I had the pleasure of meeting him many times, both in front of and away from the microphone. He was always engaging company and a man of considerable charm.

“He will be hugely missed by all those who had the good fortune to know him.”

Mr Cowen also extended his sympathies to Ryan’s family and friends.

Green Party leader and Environment Minister John Gormley said Ryan will be greatly missed, as a broadcaster, DJ and familiar voice to thousands of listeners every morning.

“His ability as a broadcaster to take both the serious and light-hearted stories was second to none,” he said.

“His good humour concealed a keen intellect and a commitment to straight journalism – he was a fair and accurate commentator. His death is a tragic loss for the viewers and listeners of Ireland.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement