Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Hosting

Options
  • 04-07-2002 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I am making a Very sammll website for a friend and they have a domain now they want to use it but don't want to spend much more on hosting. So, Can they direct the domain to an eircom address if so what is the DNS?

I have seen on ebay very cheap hosting is it any good keeping in mind that this site will have very low usage but wants to look Good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

see if your domain registrar will offer free domain forwarding , that would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Domain redirects are possible, depending on who the domain was registered with. I did it for a couple of sites in the past, but was not at all happy with the results.
    Either the domain redirects and shows the free hosting address or you keep the domain in the address bar, but lose any hope of having individual pages indexed on the search engines.
    You would be much better off getting a low-priced hosting plan.
    If your friend's site is very small etc., send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you. Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You can use free forwarding from http://www.powerdns.com/ .

I now use it for my site but i gotta renew my address :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

STAY THE F**K AWAY FROM EIRCOM!!!!!!

Sorry about that but I felt I had to get the warning across loud and clear. :D

I had a personal site up on my free Eircom space for a long time and recently decided I wanted to delete it and replace it with something else. Anyway, I had problems deleting certain files (probably my fault anyway because of the way I named them) and for some reason Eircom has stopped my permissions for editing/deleting some of the files as well as other things. I've had nothing but trouble ever since and there are still files up there I can't get off. An e-mail to Eircom asking them for advice on what to do or if they could delete them for me was met with a response of, "Sorry, we do not provide free support for Eircom.net free customers. Please call our rip-off 1550 number where we will charge you a quid a minute or something, put you on hold for about 20 minutes anyway to make sure we get plenty of money from you, put you through to some gob$hite who can barely check his e-mail and spend another hour trying to sort it out and, after it all, it still probably won't be sorted." I said to myself "F**k it!" and decided to leave it. Further details of my dilemma can be found here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55098

Therefore, my advice to you is to stay well clear of Eircom!

Advertisement