Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-10-2005, 00:43   #1
69 mustang

Nearly stolen

Some people in a light blue or silver Toyota Hiace with a black back window tried to steal my brothers VFR last week at 5am in Celbridge out side his house.The alarm went off. So keep them anchored.
Advertisement
10-10-2005, 21:07   #2
Armadillo

B@st@rds......
Did he let the local constabulary know - might be no harm to report it - if not.
10-10-2005, 21:20   #3
Hal1

That sux to hear that, does your brother have anywhere safe he can leave it? and another thing that happened I was unlocking my bike today but the key wouldn't turn in the lock, I spent nearly 10 mins trying to unlock the dam thing and eventually the key snapped off, so I had to get the dam bus home. I work on a site so hopefully I can get somebody with a con-saw tomorrow to chop it off
10-10-2005, 21:41   #4
murphaph

Definitely anchor your bikes to the ground (if the ground is solid, ie not weak concrete) with a ground anchor. They are available for £8 on ebay and take 10mins to fit and give great peace of mind coupled with a good chain & lock wrapped around the FRAME if possible.

I know of two bikes lifted into vans from outside my employer, right under a sophisticated CCTV system, they are brazen, so no precaution is OTT with these scumbags.
10-10-2005, 22:26   #5
Kang

Send a message via MSN to Kang
I M a foreigner,so i always can see someone trying to sell me some stolen things...i dont like that...but what can i do?i m afraid of their retaliate.once a traveller asked me do i want a bike?i said no.i have one already.he said 'nonono,your one no good,i give u a 04 R1 for 1000 euro'.
1000 euro for a 04 R1, can u guys believe it????
Advertisement
11-10-2005, 00:08   #6
69 mustang

Yea he rings the cops about every thing like that . "If you don't tell them there statistics drop on reported crime and then you lose Guards in your area"
or something like that.

He normally puts it behind his side gate where his "most expensive anchor you can buy" is.But this time he got in late and thought it would be OK.
That won't happen again!
11-10-2005, 11:31   #7
tk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphaph
Definitely anchor your bikes to the ground (if the ground is solid, ie not weak concrete) with a ground anchor. They are available for £8 on ebay and take 10mins to fit and give great peace of mind coupled with a good chain & lock wrapped around the FRAME if possible.
How do you fit the anchors murphahp - are they just cemented in? After reading this post I'm all worried abt my bike!!
11-10-2005, 12:38   #8
murphaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk123
How do you fit the anchors murphahp - are they just cemented in? After reading this post I'm all worried abt my bike!!
No, they are usually supplied with security bolts so you have to drill some holes in the concrete path (only if it's nice deep concrete-don't chance 1 or 2 inches cos that could be just too weak and lift out under a pry bar) or solid block wall (again-be sure to drill the block/brick and not the mortar between the blocks/bricks as this will be considerably weaker and could pull free) and fix the anchor to the ground/wall with the tamper proof security bolts. Then you chain your bike to it. It means they can't easily lift or skateborad your bike around the corner to a van etc. Of course, if they have enough time they can break any lock but it's about discouraging them by increasing the risk of being caught. Do not buy an anchor from the likes of Halfords-they are attrociously expensive compared to eBay UK sellers.
11-10-2005, 13:42   #9
tk123

Thanks for that!! I already have a bracket on the wall - my dad bolted it in and then welded the bolts to the bracket so they couldn't be opened but thats just for the back - I think I might get him to do another one for the front!!
Advertisement
11-10-2005, 19:27   #10
saobh_ie

tk. you can get anchors that you cement in. I have one of each. My bolt in job is home made but the concreted in job made by... __?__ ... its great. It's a great big D shaped lump of steel in a plastic casing. Through the flat part of the D you insert two angled steel bars and set the whole thing into the concrete, I have a cubic meter of concrete around my anchor and also drilled holes into the side of the pavement around the house so I could dowel the anchor concrete.

If somebody comes in thinking they can just dig the concrete out of the ground, they can think again.

Chains are the weak link though, they'll just cut them, I'd call it a fifteen-minute job but they'd have to deal with the dog and the alarms, probably wouldn't wake me though. But I’m sure the neighbours would run them off.
12-10-2005, 09:18   #11
tk123

The last time somebody tried to break into our place(before we got an alarm) the neighbours saw them and thought it was me and my bro locked out trying to open the window....with a crowbar...so I won't be counting on them...
12-10-2005, 14:05   #12
murphaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by saobh_ie
tk. you can get anchors that you cement in. I have one of each. My bolt in job is home made but the concreted in job made by... __?__ ... its great. It's a great big D shaped lump of steel in a plastic casing. Through the flat part of the D you insert two angled steel bars and set the whole thing into the concrete, I have a cubic meter of concrete around my anchor and also drilled holes into the side of the pavement around the house so I could dowel the anchor concrete.

If somebody comes in thinking they can just dig the concrete out of the ground, they can think again.

Chains are the weak link though, they'll just cut them, I'd call it a fifteen-minute job but they'd have to deal with the dog and the alarms, probably wouldn't wake me though. But I’m sure the neighbours would run them off.
Holy sh!t saobh! That's as good as it's gonna get when it comes to protecting the bike!
12-10-2005, 14:37   #13
tk123

Hey I forgot to ask earlier - is that you with the bandit on bikepics.com saobh??
12-10-2005, 14:48   #14
KTRIC

Get yourself one of these http://www.yanchor.com/ . Then there is no chance of breaking the anchor. Couple that up with a good chain and your bike is going nowhere.
Thanks from:
12-10-2005, 15:35   #15
murphaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-TRIC
Get yourself one of these http://www.yanchor.com/ . Then there is no chance of breaking the anchor. Couple that up with a good chain and your bike is going nowhere.
Now that's an anchor! If I my bike cost more than 500 quid I'd have gone for something like that! Of course the chain is still the weak point and given enough time, it can be cut.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion