Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BroadWorks

Options
  • 13-09-2005 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm about to get connected to BroadWorks for cable tv.
    Has anyone any experience with them? good/bad?
    Is €20 a month reasonable compared to competition?
    Any other info would be appreciated,

stations the offer are
    RTE 1
    Network 2
    TV3
    TnG
    UTV
    ITV news 24
    BBC1
    BBC 2
    BBC 3
    BBC 4
    BBC news 24
    CBBC
    Cbeebie's
    Channel 4
    National Geographic
    MTV
    Living
    Reality
    UK TV Gold
    UK TV History
    TMF

www.broadworks.ie/

Cheers, Noice Wan...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

never heard of them
    where can one sign up to them and how do they give you a signal

"You get UTV - not on satellite "
    they'll need to change that soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Mossy Monk wrote:
    never heard of them
    where can one sign up to them and how do they give you a signal

I assume they only operate in new estates etc. They say "no external antenna or dish" so I can't see how else they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

€20 a month for 21 channels is pretty good - NTL charge €19 for 16 and don't include all the extra BBC channels in their basic package.

to say 21 channels wouldnt be strictly correct as BBC3 and BBC4 time share with CBBC and CBeebies

Mossy Monk wrote:
    to say 21 channels wouldnt be strictly correct as BBC3 and BBC4 time share with CBBC and CBeebies

I don't think the broadcasting times of them overlap though so it would be 21 channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

paulm17781 wrote:
    I don't think the broadcasting times of them overlap though so it would be 21 channels.

Mossy's right. They're basically timeshare channels. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

I'm getting hooked up today, no more relying on fuzzy Irish channels. Yeehaw! :D

I'm getting hooked up today, no more relying on fuzzy Irish channels. Yeehaw! :D

How does it work? Are you in a new development?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 faustian

I've a friend who has broadworks in his new estate, it seems they are trying to get some cable business from ntl in new areas. They are okay, the one major problem is the lack of sky premiums and the lack of digital. My friends were not allowed to get sky because of some residents committee objecting to satellite dishes, and rang ntl so many times who said they were in talks with the developers. They also don't offer broadband in his area whereas two friends who moved into ntl estates have broadband and digital television and say it's great. If service is bad I'd go for sky, or if enough of you request it, I'm sure ntl would be able to come to a deal with the builders?

broadworks comments

Re: Digital Television in new development

We have the same problem. We have a crowd called Broadworks supplying us with cable, they basically get the feed from Sky Digital. All the apartments were pre-wired with their boxes, and there were flyers for installation everywhere when we moved in. €80 to connect all 3 rooms, which isn't bad (even though all they did was flick a switch) and €17 per month, 1 year contract, 19 stations. However...............

1. Despite promises for the last 6 months, they haven't delivered Sky Sports (they are always with meeting Sky to negotiate prices etc.). One guy in the development rings them every Monday, he's very worried that he won't have it for the Lions games this summer.

2. About 2 months ago, we got a letter from the managing agents reminding us that it was against the terms of the leasehold agreement to have satellite dishes attached to apartments (around 4 apartments have dishes). The same day, we get a letter from the cable co. telling us that the monthly fee is to rise to €19.99 due to increased programming costs (no extra channels?)

3. Around 2 weeks ago, we lose Sky One and Sky News. Girlfriend calls the cable co.-they were never actually supposed to be carrying these services, but they should have the licence by Monday-nada for 2 weeks (They replaced Sky One and Sky News with UKTV Gold and UKTV History)

At the first residents meeting, the cable company was discussed. They have exclusive 'rights' to provide cable to all apartments, cos they piped the houses. I think NTL laid cables underground, but wanted some sort of fee from the builders to wire the individual homes (and then presumably a connection fee from each subscriber!), so the builders went with these guys (what do they care, they can still say that every home is piped for cable). I asked the managing agent to find out how long this 'deal' lasts for, and if we could tell them to sling their hook (this was before the loss of Sky One).

A few apartments have Sky dishes (against the terms of the lease agreement, but it doesn't bother me-plenty of worse stuff going on), and NTL would install MMDS (rip off if you ask me), but this requires an aerial on the roof or attached somewhere (also against the terms of the lease agreement).

So I don't know why Sky have to ask the builders, have you not signed the contracts yet? I would say they would do it when the apartment is officially yours, but it will more than likely contravene the terms of your leasehold agreement.

If you have to go with this other cable co., I would be wary. Service is patchy, and you never know what channels you'll have from one month to the next. It is bullsh~t that we don't have a choice, especially given the crappy service we've been getting.

sounds like gangsters to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 faustian

They're a legit company and have raised a lot of funding I believe, just a very tough business to break into especially when people have come from the likes of sky, ntl and (cough) chorus :) with their offerings

If they get the skys onboard I think they'll improve

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

5 days of trouble free use ...
    the connection was really painless, in and out in 1/2 hour.
    perfct reception
    good choice of channels

No complaints at all ....
    :D

what way are the 4 UK channels. taken from a Sky Digibox or terrestrially from NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Gangsters alright (I don't care how much money they've managed to raise). Whenever the builder finishes on our site (in the next 6 months hopefully), NTL are ready and waiting to come in. And I'll have Sky channels once again!!!!

The only good thing about Broadworks is that there is no extra charge for extra points. I believe that they may be offering the 'triple play' on some new developments, no sign of it on ours.

Magnet are offering a far superior service IMHO, but I've no idea as to their reliabilty etc.

Advertisement